F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 328 Xdrive Sport VS 335 Xdrive M sport (with M performance)
Extreme Powerhouse

07-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
anthon.a
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi 2017

2014 328 Xdrive Sport VS 335 Xdrive M sport (with M performance)

So I am trying to decide on a lease of a fully loaded 328x or pay the extra 120$ a month and get an almost fully loaded 335 (didn't take the extra 26hp option).

I currently have a 2011 328x Standard and when I tried the 2013 328x Sport (w/18) Automatic I noticed that there is considerable turbo lag and the Tranny being auto is not helping + the suspension does not seem as solid has mine. (don't misinterpret this, this automatic tranny is really amazing compare to any other auto I have tried so far but its not a standard) I like that the ride is a bit smoother but I would like handling in curves to be equivalent to my 328... (am I just imagining things or is the new 328x handling worse than the old one????)

Also from what I understand, I will be gaining...

- 300hp vs 240
- M sport Brakes
- 19" M wheels VS 19" 401 wheels
-Adaptative Sport suspension VS M sport Suspension
-Variable sport Steering
-High Speed Maximum (not sure what this is)
-slight bumper changes
-loose red stiching on seats
-Gain M badges
Am I missing anything? (are these options complete overhauls or just little changes, meaning are the M brakes are just a larger caliper or have more pistons, disk and break lines are improved, is the suspension fully upgraded or just better struts, etc...)

The dealer does not have a 335 "M" for me to try so there is no way of me really seeing if these features are worth the extra money,

(oh and I didnt take these options on the 328x, The packages in Canada are built in a way that with the 335 I get these extra features... (they come in Executive that includes HUD)
- high beam assist
- Electric rear sunshades
- Rear heated seats
- Adaptive head lights
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

If you like MT then why not get it?

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthon.a View Post
So I am trying to decide on a lease of a fully loaded 328x or pay the extra 120$ a month and get an almost fully loaded 335 (didn't take the extra 26hp option).

I currently have a 2011 328x Standard and when I tried the 2013 328x Sport (w/18) Automatic I noticed that there is considerable turbo lag and the Tranny being auto is not helping + the suspension does not seem as solid has mine. (don't misinterpret this, this automatic tranny is really amazing compare to any other auto I have tried so far but its not a standard) I like that the ride is a bit smoother but I would like handling in curves to be equivalent to my 328... (am I just imagining things or is the new 328x handling worse than the old one????)

- 300hp vs 240
- M sport Brakes
-Variable sport Steering
-slight bumper changes
-Gain M badges
Am I missing anything? (are these options complete overhauls or just little changes, meaning are the M brakes are just a larger caliper or have more pistons, disk and break lines are improved, is the suspension fully upgraded or just better struts, etc...)

The dealer does not have a 335 "M" for me to try so there is no way of me really seeing if these features are worth the extra money,

(oh and I didnt take these options on the 328x, The packages in Canada are built in a way that with the 335 I get these extra features... (they come in Executive that includes HUD)
- high beam assist
- Rear heated seats
- Adaptive head lights
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
anthon.a
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

In Canada, the MT is only Available on the 335x... (maybe on the non x as well, not sure)

I am trying to convince myself that a 328x will cut it. (i was already at the top of my budget)

but you are right, i could go with a 335x Manual... it would resolve one issue
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

I just went through this exact scenario. I was coming from a 2009 manual 335i MSport and was considering the 328 but when I found out it was not available in manual transmission that was the end of that. I got a loaded 335 xdrive M Sport with 403M 19 wheels. What you gain with M Sport is front and rear bumpers are different as are the side valances and rear diffuser. There is an extra oil cooler, M badging on the door sills, M steering wheel, M shifter, M sport brakes (option, weeeeeell worth the $500 for larger disks and calipers), and slightly larger diameter sway bar. You also have the option to tack on M adaptive suspension which again is a must on an xdrive, and variable sport steering. Another option which opens up is the 403M 19" wheels and Estoril Blue color. Sadly you can not find a RWD version of this car in Montreal since no dealer is ordering them. The residuals on them stink so only XDrive is offered. The caveat though is that the XDrive does not come with the M Sport springs so the car sits higher although H&R just launched a spring set specifically for the F30 Xdrive platform which will lower the car to the ride height of a rear wheel drive 335i M Sport if not slightly lower.

Quote:

- 300hp vs 240
- M sport Brakes
-Variable sport Steering
-slight bumper changes
-Gain M badges

- high beam assist
- Rear heated seats
- Adaptive head lights
      07-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
anthon.a
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your extra info! I am going for Xdrive, I live out of the city and Streets are not always in great shape in the Winter. Plus its easier to park (actually get out of a parking spot) in the winter with an AWD...

the 2014 package structure has changed and now there is a "M Perf pack" that includes Suspension, Brakers, Streering and 19inch (for 1500$)

I tried the 328x, but even with the added Sport package the suspension seem to soft for me...

I am still hesitating between Manual and Auto. This new 8Speed is a giant leap forward compared to the old one (and many other manifs) I am going to try a 335 today, if the added power does close the deal for the tranny il go with Stick.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Thanks for your extra info! I am going for Xdrive, I live out of the city and Streets are not always in great shape in the Winter. Plus its easier to park (actually get out of a parking spot) in the winter with an AWD...

the 2014 package structure has changed and now there is a "M Perf pack" that includes Suspension, Brakers, Streering and 19inch (for 1500$)

I tried the 328x, but even with the added Sport package the suspension seem to soft for me...

I am still hesitating between Manual and Auto. This new 8Speed is a giant leap forward compared to the old one (and many other manifs) I am going to try a 335 today, if the added power does close the deal for the tranny il go with Stick.
Make sure you research how all of your performance options interact with xdrive. There are some differences with the RWD setup, for example, xdrive removes sport suspension from the sport line, only factory suspension upgrade is DHP. Just search around here, it's one of the most frequently discussed topics.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
CasZy NL
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 | X5 | Z1

Garage List
2008 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1991 BMW Z1  [10.00]
If "Sheer Driving Pleasure" is the thing you want, go for the 335i. As soon as you start the engine you know why!

All about the straight six engine, which such a car really needs. The 328 is nice but does not seem to be alive. Just misses the excitement.

Loose variable sport steering (IMO).
Don't forget the M Performance Alcantara steering wheel, it is amazing!
And the M Performance Exhaust, PPK and aFe Air Intake.
enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

if you look into the 335i and $$ are no to tight, I would suggest the Msport package.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasZy NL View Post
If "Sheer Driving Pleasure" is the thing you want, go for the 335i. As soon as you start the engine you know why!

All about the straight six engine, which such a car really needs. The 328 is nice but does not seem to be alive. Just misses the excitement.

Loose variable sport steering (IMO).
Don't forget the M Performance Alcantara steering wheel, it is amazing!
And the M Performance Exhaust, PPK and aFe Air Intake.
enjoy!
Appreciate 0