F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Let's talk Coral Red interior
proTUNING Freaks

07-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Let's talk Coral Red interior

I am considering the Coral Red Interior with Mineral Gray.

I looked at it in person and it looks gorgeous. It was slightly overcast when I saw it with Alpine White exterior on a 335i, which I also test drove. I still have to see how it looks in bright sun.

Coral Red has been around for a long time. I have a few questions:
  • Does this leather color hold well over time? Any staining possibility?
  • Is it hard to keep clean or looks dull after a few years of sun exposure?
  • Is it a chick color for an interior?
  • What other exterior colors does it look good with?
I am a bit on the fence, but it looks quite classy. My only other option on the M-sport could be Black.

My ideal interior color would be Chestnut Brown, but BMW has reduced all our options so drastically.

Does the charm fades away with time as it gets older or and feels too red?

Thanks guys!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota

Last edited by bavarianboar; 07-09-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

I had coral red when I had my E92 and I loved it for years every time I opened the door. Hot sex red leather, I would say. I loved it, seriously. When/if I get an F30 it will be coral red. My exterior was Space Grey, great combo.

I remember I had some dark blue jeans and after a while I noticed some blue color on the red leather. The dye had transferred due to the hot Texas summers causing sweaty ass and the color came off the jeans. A simple leather cleaner wiped it off, no problem.

This color has punch... no more boring black interior.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Dye transfer is a small issue with Coral Red. Ask in your service department, they'll likely tell you they've had a few customer complaints. I've heard one myself from a complete random I met at the mall who had an F30 and he complained his brown belt line was showing marks in his coral red leather. That said, Its not a huge issue for most.

The rest is fairly subjective. Go for it if you like the interior color. Remember, your first gut choice is usually the correct one.
      07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I've had denim and leather marks show up on the gray interior I had in my last E46; thus far, I've not had any problems with my coral red (exterior color mineral gray). Like all BMW interiors, it's not really any different than other colors as far as fading and wear - and probably not near as difficult to keep clean as oyster or beige. On an M-Sport configuration, the only interior choices were beige, black, and red, and I've had my fill of black interiors for awhile, so red was the best choice with my exterior color.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

I love it but was reluctant to BMW red interiors. I was afraid about how they would age. Now looking at 2001 cars, I am reassured.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

My answers are in bold. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
I am considering the Coral Red Interior with Mineral Gray.

I looked at it in person and it looks gorgeous. It was slightly overcast when I saw it with Alpine White exterior on a 335i, which I also test drove. I still have to see how it looks in bright sun.

Coral Red has been around for a long time. I have a few questions:

1. Does this leather color hold well over time? Any staining possibility?

I've had coral red interior on my E92 as well as my F30. I've never had any problems with staining, dye transfer, etc. The day I turned in my E92 the red looked just as gorgeous as the day I picked it up 3 years prior.

2. Is it hard to keep clean or looks dull after a few years of sun exposure?

Easiest leather to keep clean. If you're planning on keeping the car for many years I would use a sunshade or something to block the sun from the seats. But for the three years I had the E92 I didn't have any fading. The F30 still looks beautiful after a year and few months.

3. Is it a chick color for an interior?

Interesting question... heard quite the opposite actually. When I first saw coral red I thought of it as a really masculine, aggressive interior fit for a sporty car. Nothing feminine about it at all. I think it's adds a really unique touch to my BMW.... I always get comments about it.

4. What other exterior colors does it look good with?
Both my cars with coral red have had black exteriors. I think the contrast is really sporty yet elegant. If you don't want a black car I'd opt for something dark maybe like a mineral gray, some say alpine white (although I personally don't like it).

5. Does the charm fades away with time as it gets older or and feels too red?

Nope! Still feels special after having two cars with it. I'm ordering it again on my 428i since I'm such a fan. You won't be disappointed!

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
^+1

Black is so boring.
      07-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Buzzman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F26 M40i

If that can give you any indications, my wife has Coral Red in her 128 Vert and after three years, the leather is holding up pretty good and she has the top down most days.
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
  • Is it a chick color for an interior?
  • What other exterior colors does it look good with?
The colour stands up very well. Dark jeans do rub off sometimes, but the leather can be easily cleaned. I've only had it for a year so I can't comment on the long long term look.

Definitely not a chick colour. I get universal praise from everybody who sees it.

I think it looks great with white, black and mineral grey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk

I took the conservative route and got black w/red highlight in MG exterior. I thought the CR was a bit loud for my personality. I don't regret it, but if I could have a "do over", I'd go with CR interior. IMHO the MG/CR is a classy combo without being too loud like I originally had pictured in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEE View Post
I took the conservative route and got black w/red highlight in MG exterior. I thought the CR was a bit loud for my personality. I don't regret it, but if I could have a "do over", I'd go with CR interior. IMHO the MG/CR is a classy combo without being too loud like I originally had pictured in my mind.
I must admit that after I ordered my 335i in BSM with CR, I did get worried a few times that I wouldn't like it. But each time I talked myself back off the ledge and when it arrived I was completely sold. No regrets at all!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Best interior color. Looks very expensive, like you have the most expensive options on your F30. I constantly get complements from friends, family and even drive thru windows lol Its eye catching, You have to see it in person, the color is much better in real life than in pics. Like the picture above looks almost pink, It is NOT what CR looks like IRL.
      07-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
FEE
Ne Conjugare Nobiscum
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport MG/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Best interior color. Looks very expensive, like you have the most expensive options on your F30. I constantly get complements from friends, family and even drive thru windows lol Its eye catching, You have to see it in person, the color is much better in real life than in pics. Like the picture above looks almost pink, It is NOT what CR looks like IRL.
I agree, pictures don't do CR justice. It is definitely a must see IRL.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
johndeere
mhmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: MS3X

Not that my opinion counts but I absolutely hate the red interior. I'm not sure how it gives off the "expensive" vibe. Brown or White sure, but red? It pains my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
Not that my opinion counts but I absolutely hate the red interior. I'm not sure how it gives off the "expensive" vibe. Brown or White sure, but red? It pains my eyes.
usually porsche, maserati, ferrari etc have red interior options. Even on the 5 series only the $100K M5 has the red interior option. White and brown are lovely colors too but offered on many different cars from diff car makers too (ie non luxury). I think white is way too high maintenance, saddle brown is nice too but red looks $$$..too each his own!
      07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
ktcred
Rep
Drives: Targeting BMW 435ic

I'm considering the exact same color scheme (Mineral Grey & Coral Red ). I have the same concerns noted in the original post. Moreover, I've kept my current car for 13 years and plan to keep my next car (targeting 435i convertible) a fairly long time as well. I'm mostly concerned about red going out of style within a few years and being stuck with a car that looks very dated. The other option I am considering is the Estoril Blue with black interior; however, considering I'm going with a convertible, I would rather shy away from the dark leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
LAwolverine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cannondale

i love my MG w/ coral red interior. i think the two are a great contrast. if you ask me, the AW w/ coral red does make it kind of girly.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Love the red!!! No complaints.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Couldn't agree more. The coral red makes my 3 series look so expensive on the inside. I read posts sometimes on this forum about the decreased quality in the F30 and I'm like hmm mine looks super lux. No regrets at all I absolutely love the color.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:

Does the charm fades away with time as it gets older or and feels too red?

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcred View Post
I'm considering the exact same color scheme (Mineral Grey & Coral Red ). I have the same concerns noted in the original post. Moreover, I've kept my current car for 13 years and plan to keep my next car (targeting 435i convertible) a fairly long time as well. I'm mostly concerned about red going out of style within a few years and being stuck with a car that looks very dated. The other option I am considering is the Estoril Blue with black interior; however, considering I'm going with a convertible, I would rather shy away from the dark leather.
I haven't seen a comment about a car as old as my first Beemer yet.

I bought a 1997 320i a few years ago when I moved to Germany. Burgundy color on the outside and the predecessor to coral red on the inside. I have to say that the previous owners took very good care of it, including a book on all repairs, etc. so filter my comment through that...

The color didn't seem to have faded relatively much at all. Now, the rear window sill was extremely faded, so obviously during its 15ish years of existence it saw some sun. I would say though that the exterior paint had faded more than the leather. The driver's seat was a bit cracked, but the color still held. But, you be the judge! (sorry, the photos do suck...)

...I miss that car! *sniff*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3magine View Post
I thought the same as you until I saw JParker82's AH3 MS Exterior with Coral Red Interior. It looks Great!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I briefly considered it for my build but ultimately opted against it as I was afraid the initial novelty would wear off pretty soon thereafter.
Appreciate 0