E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RDSport Black Box + Tubo Upgrade

09-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

RDSport Black Box + Tubo Upgrade

Anyone know any numbers for it? Their wbsite has no dynos, just a price of $6400 for larger turbo conversion kit.

Also, they claim:
Racing Dynamics' development of BMW's new twin-turbo motor is called the R35 Biturbo, and is currently being tested in a variety of trims that are already consistently surpassing the 420Hp mark.

Is that to the wheels? Is that including the upgaded turbos as well as chip? Or is it chip and exhaust?

They have no dynos or clarification anywhere.

Has anyone bought it and tried it? Or called them inquiring about it?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Anyone know any numbers for it? Their wbsite has no dynos, just a price of $6400 for larger turbo conversion kit.

Also, they claim:
Racing Dynamics' development of BMW's new twin-turbo motor is called the R35 Biturbo, and is currently being tested in a variety of trims that are already consistently surpassing the 420Hp mark.

Is that to the wheels? Is that including the upgaded turbos as well as chip? Or is it chip and exhaust?

They have no dynos or clarification anywhere.

Has anyone bought it and tried it? Or called them inquiring about it?
from their website.

"R30 Biturbo
The R30 Biturbo conversion features an oversized set of turbochargers (supplied in exchange for a set of original turbos with less than 5000 miles), a complete exhaust system, and the relevant EMS."

doubt that its at the wheels.

and look for a thread on "turbos come off" started by Sam@autotalent. he says he is upgrading the turbos, but did not specify with what. There was some speculation on there whether it was an RD Sport upgrade or not.+

edit: OT, why didn't you come out to the meet?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
from their website.

"R30 Biturbo
The R30 Biturbo conversion features an oversized set of turbochargers (supplied in exchange for a set of original turbos with less than 5000 miles), a complete exhaust system, and the relevant EMS."

doubt that its at the wheels.

and look for a thread on "turbos come off" started by Sam@autotalent. he says he is upgrading the turbos, but did not specify with what. There was some speculation on there whether it was an RD Sport upgrade or not.+

edit: OT, why didn't you come out to the meet?
Which meet?

If it was the Hooters one, I showed up for about 20 minutes or so...I only stopped by to say Hi because I had to go and diagnose my DP problems with a friend.

If it was the Towers...I usually go out withthe g/f on fridays. Not only that, none of my friends were going that night. Maybe I will plan to go to Towers this friday if possible. I want to hold off on meets until I do something ultra impressiv with my car. My rims ship mid-october, and I'm looing into FMICs and piggyback ECUs. I will show face alot more when I become impressive.

I figre with bigger turbos, exhaust, and EMS, the car should push over 420, even at the wheels if properly tuned. Maybe Iwill give them a call and see.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just the turbo upgrade is going to run around $3500 MSRP from what I know. What if I want to use Procede instead of blackbox I wonder.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

Quote:
Which meet?

If it was the Hooters one, I showed up for about 20 minutes or so...I only stopped by to say Hi because I had to go and diagnose my DP problems with a friend.

If it was the Towers...I usually go out withthe g/f on fridays. Not only that, none of my friends were going that night. Maybe I will plan to go to Towers this friday if possible. I want to hold off on meets until I do something ultra impressiv with my car. My rims ship mid-october, and I'm looing into FMICs and piggyback ECUs. I will show face alot more when I become impressive.

I figre with bigger turbos, exhaust, and EMS, the car should push over 420, even at the wheels if properly tuned. Maybe Iwill give them a call and see.
let us know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Which meet?

this meet:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85371

been wanting to hear that exhaust. damn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
Just the turbo upgrade is going to run around $3500 MSRP from what I know. What if I want to use Procede instead of blackbox I wonder.
you can't, unless Shiv comes out with a map for bigger turbos. And we all know how that went with the DP map. AA does have some background on this, although they don't mention it on this board. there is an e92 here in South Florida with custom upgraded turbos and the ever elusive custom tune from AA.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
let us know what they say.
Just called and they didn't answer

I'll try later
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

called again...friendly lady said she was not with sales and could have them call me back tomorrow...

I declined and told her I would call them when I could tomorrow. I'll post tomorrow what I find.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Called RDSport. The kit will not be available until closer to the end of the year. It will provide about 440 - 460 crank horsepower. They claim that their target of $6500 should be maintained, however.

They will only sell you upgrade turbos with THEIR exhaust and THEIR IC and (if they produce a bigger oil cooler) THEIR IC. You CANNOT purchase it without puchasng the whole package. They say it is for the best reliability and troubleshooting.

They say it will trnslate to about 380 or a little more to the wheels.

IMHO...not worth $6500 when that much power is claimed by procede v2.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. Don't really see the point on paying for this when one a piggyback(v2) will produce around the same amount of power. Not really sure whats going on with that.

With the exhaust, DP's, IC, AND upgraded turbos, it should be in the 500+hp territory.
      09-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
I agree. Don't really see the point on paying for this when one a piggyback(v2) will produce around the same amount of power. Not really sure whats going on with that.

With the exhaust, DP's, IC, AND upgraded turbos, it should be in the 500+hp territory.
That's what I said but the guy I spoke with said its a more reliable tuning package with virtually no problems...designed for cars mean to last 10 years down the road.

But he said their GOAL is for 440 - 460...they don't have ones tested yet for US models...said the gas they use is different...and they have to delve into the cooling situation...they said theymiht hae to make an auxilary oil cooler, or a bigger one...

Still don't get whats up with that little HP.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I said but the guy I spoke with said its a more reliable tuning package with virtually no problems...designed for cars mean to last 10 years down the road.

But he said their GOAL is for 440 - 460...they don't have ones tested yet for US models...said the gas they use is different...and they have to delve into the cooling situation...they said theymiht hae to make an auxilary oil cooler, or a bigger one...

Still don't get whats up with that little HP.
You know, I understand that whenever a turbo kit comes out for this car, it'll be more than what a normal japanese turbo kit costs, BUT you gotta give me more than that for a turbo kit. Come on now. I'll wait till AA or Vishnu comes out with a proven, reliable one in a couple years. No way would I put one on while I have warranty.

Plus it sounds like RDsports kit won't be ready anytime soon anyways.
      09-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
You know, I understand that whenever a turbo kit comes out for this car, it'll be more than what a normal japanese turbo kit costs, BUT you gotta give me more than that for a turbo kit. Come on now. I'll wait till AA or Vishnu comes out with a proven, reliable one in a couple years. No way would I put one on while I have warranty.

Plus it sounds like RDsports kit won't be ready anytime soon anyways.
They supposedly have it for the european cars...They haven't tested it with US fuel and with the oil cooler, because they said oil temps were a problem over here.

Still...With my DPs and exhaust, a FMIC, and a piggyback...I should push about 400 to the wheels...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They supposedly have it for the european cars...They haven't tested it with US fuel and with the oil cooler, because they said oil temps were a problem over here.

Still...With my DPs and exhaust, a FMIC, and a piggyback...I should push about 400 to the wheels...
One thing I have definitely learned living in germany, is that germans are afraid to take something to it's limits, take chances. Everything with them has to be safe, slow, deliberate, etc. Hell, this whole country is one big contruction site and the war was over 60 years ago!

I bet the reason for the low numbers is that they have the boost set really low.
      09-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedeboy View Post
This isn't going to happen, check out "WalkedU". ~350rwhp with FMIC, DP, exhaust. You need larger turbos for your goal.
If thats without a piggyback...then a chip could indeed push him to 400whp I assume?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedeboy View Post
That was with a custom dyno tune on PROceed v2. I am not sure on the gas octane used.
Walked U is in CA running on 91 octane.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Walked U is in CA running on 91 octane.
I hate to do this guys and make it a procede war...but I'm jus inquiring...

Didnt the oiginal v2 dyno show 380 or so to the wheels? I didn't think vishnu tuned it back that much. With all of Walked U's mods he should push more than 350 right?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:

Didnt the oiginal v2 dyno show 380 or so to the wheels? I didn't think vishnu tuned it back that much. With all of Walked U's mods he should push more than 350 right?
He dyno'd right after install and said that the ECU probably hadn't yet adapted. Also, on his trip back he said he felt power increase. He needs to re-dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
DaveStinsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Tiburon

Quote:
Called RDSport. The kit will not be available until closer to the end of the year. It will provide about 440 - 460 crank horsepower. They claim that their target of $6500 should be maintained, however.

They will only sell you upgrade turbos with THEIR exhaust and THEIR IC and (if they produce a bigger oil cooler) THEIR IC. You CANNOT purchase it without puchasng the whole package. They say it is for the best reliability and troubleshooting.

They say it will trnslate to about 380 or a little more to the wheels.

Don't count on 380 hp. maybe if he comes out with a track upgrade.
2008 Montego Blue Sedan- Black leather with alum. trim, Step, Active Steering, Paddles, Comfort Access, Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Nav, HD Radio, IPod & USB adapter, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I thought Shiv dyno'd at ~ 365WHP and > 400 lb.-ft. RWTQ; then, he said he would dial back the TQ to "safer" levels more similar to (or a little more than) v1.47. If so, then Walked U's dyno of ~ 350WHP isn't that far off.

Let's not forget that a 6AT PROcede (v2.0) 335i dyno'ing at approx. 360WHP = approx. 424BHP!!! Not bad at all, imho especially considering the '08 E92 M3 has 414BHP.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Let's not forget that a 6AT PROcede (v2.0) 335i dyno'ing at approx. 360WHP = approx. 424BHP!!! Not bad at all, imho especially considering the '08 E92 M3 has 414BHP.
360whp on these cars is at most 405bhp assuming a linear loss - less if not.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #22
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
360whp on these cars is at most 405bhp assuming a linear loss - less if not.
Close enough; I was calculating the 15% drivetrain loss for the 6AT, but either way, 360WHP on a 335i > 400BHP; rather close to or more than the E92 M3's 414BHP...but with A LOT more TQ.

Appreciate 0