M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Got code?

Met up last night with Richard (v12) from this forum, he did Koxal’s car (I think it was Koxal) as well as some of the M5Army and got coded.

I'll admit I was a bit hesitant at first, was a little worried about glitches and stuff as I’m not too handy when it comes to fixing things computer related. Richard arrived earlier than we planned and the first thing he did was set my mind at ease by describing the process and how many cars he has coded, after all the functions are all available, its not like we’re adding things. We then went through the list and I itemized exactly what I wanted. Usually coding takes 30 minutes, it took us three hours - NOT because there were issues, but because we just got to talking and it went on and on.

Here’s a list of what I got

Turn indicators in HUD (really cool – they actually show up in green)
Entertainment in HUD (Ive found M mode to be too busy at night, but Richard assured me it wasn’t busy, it times out after a few seconds)
Mirror fold/ unfold automatically when (un)locking with FOB or Comfort Access (quick click on the FOB doesn’t fold mirrors, hold it a bit longer and it will)
Mirrors + windows + sunroof open/ close from the FOB
Mirrors + windows + sunroof close from comfort access
Removal of cam/ reverse and iDrive start-up disclaimers/ warnings (these annoyed me a LOT)
Close trunk from driver-side button and FOB (cool function)
Tire pressure and temperature readings from TPMS sensors instead of just the "green" tires under Vehicle Status (must have imo for the M5)
Opening doors won't interrupt windows rolling up or down (with ignition or engine on)
Turn off amber LED side markers (just not a fan of those three lights)
Enable rear tail lights on with DRL (Richard convinced me based on how nice they look - I agreed once I really took a look)
Seat belt chimes and reminders removal (I use seat belts, I find it annoying when I sometimes drive 200 feet at 5 mph to my garage within my complex and it chimes)
Passenger mirror tilt further down when reverse gear is engaged to better see rear wheel when parking
Set air-recirculate to remember last setting
Set heated seats to remember last setting
Set A/C to remember last setting (very annoying that the air would always turn on at start-up)

After we were done, Richard went through each function to ensure they were working properly before leaving. All in all an awesome experience and I would def recommend Richard should you want coding.

Last edited by PatrickC23; 06-20-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Thank you for your kind words Patrick. It was great hanging out.

For those of you thinking about having your car coded this is how it works:

No code is injected or removed from the software which runs the car's vital functions and options/ equipment. It's all in there by design just enabled/ disabled by BMW depending on the regional market. Their decisions seem to be part legal, part marketing-driven.

The actual coding is done by connecting a (laptop) computer to the car via a OBD II to Ethernet (ENET) cable.
You can buy one here for $19: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=21

After obtaining the software online (google bmw coding e-sys), you'll have to purchase a security token to run the latest version if your car is a recent build.

Note: akin to reinstalling windows on a computer, it wipe everything out, the dealer flashing a software update to the car will wipe out the coding and it will have to be redone.

Finally, after reading the manuals and forums and learning how things work, you can code your car.

If you are interested in more info and learning to do it yourself, please read this forum, look on other forums online or reach out to me for help. Other experienced forum members can also help.

Some may not be interested in tinkering with their car and/ or dealing with the learning curve/ spending the time. For those, having someone come to them on their schedule and at their convenience with the tools/ knowledge/ experience makes sense.

I have met a lot of people while organizing meets, at events other organized, for coding etc and the BMW owners for an amazing community!

If you just got your car and would like to have it tinted and coded at the same location/ same time, I organize groups of 4 cars.
Lee Berbs does the tinting (2 hours per car) and I code the cars.
The next date is June 29 but it's fully booked. Please indicate interest for subsequent dates.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

For those of you thinking about having your car coded this is how it works:

No code is injected or removed from the software which runs the car's vital functions and options/ equipment. It's all in there by design just enabled/ disabled by BMW depending on the regional market. Their decisions seem to be part legal, part marketing-driven.

The actual coding is done by connecting a (laptop) computer to the car via a OBD II to Ethernet (ENET) cable.
You can buy one here for $19: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=21

After obtaining the software online (google bmw coding e-sys), you'll have to purchase a security token to run the latest version if your car is a recent build.

Note: akin to reinstalling windows on a computer, it wipe everything out, the dealer flashing a software update to the car will wipe out the coding and it will have to be redone.

Finally, after reading the manuals and forums and learning how things work, you can code your car.

If you are interested in more info and learning to do it yourself, please read this forum, look on other forums online or reach out to me for help. Other experienced forum members can also help.

Some may not be interested in tinkering with their car and/ or dealing with the learning curve/ spending the time. For those, having someone come to them on their schedule and at their convenience with the tools/ knowledge/ experience makes sense.

I have met a lot of people while organizing meets, at events other organized, for coding etc and the BMW owners for an amazing community!

If you just got your car and would like to have it tinted and coded at the same location/ same time, I organize groups of 4 cars.
Lee Berbs does the tinting (2 hours per car) and I code the cars.
The next date is June 29 but it's fully booked. Please indicate interest for subsequent dates.
Likewise Richard,

LeeBerbs did my tinting, I fully vouch for him, as I now do for Richard as well. Hell, go there and get bra, tinted, coded, and detailed (by greg).

I for one am not a DIY'er, and dont want to spend my time learning and experimenting on my car only to mess it up. When I have free time, id rather be driving. The cost to have it done by Richard was negligible, as it should be for any M5 owner.

Best part of paying someone to do it is being able to have them work around your schedule, and not vice versa if they're doing it for free and as a favor imo.
      10-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
v12, I tried to pm you re coding for a bunch of guys near Boston, but couldn't get a message thru to you. You still out there?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi - Yes, I am.

My PM was turned off by the mods. It's against the rules of the site to arrange for things like I do, even if money or anything commercial is never mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Hi - Yes, I am.

My PM was turned off by the mods. It's against the rules of the site to arrange for things like I do, even if money or anything commercial is never mentioned.
If you don't mind posting your email address, I'll reach out to you that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
c4rter4
Rep
Drives: 2014 Blue / Black / Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Met up last night with Richard (v12) from this forum, he did Koxal’s car (I think it was Koxal) as well as some of the M5Army and got coded.

I'll admit I was a bit hesitant at first, was a little worried about glitches and stuff as I’m not too handy when it comes to fixing things computer related. Richard arrived earlier than we planned and the first thing he did was set my mind at ease by describing the process and how many cars he has coded, after all the functions are all available, its not like we’re adding things. We then went through the list and I itemized exactly what I wanted. Usually coding takes 30 minutes, it took us three hours - NOT because there were issues, but because we just got to talking and it went on and on.

Here’s a list of what I got

Turn indicators in HUD (really cool – they actually show up in green)
Entertainment in HUD (Ive found M mode to be too busy at night, but Richard assured me it wasn’t busy, it times out after a few seconds)
Mirror fold/ unfold automatically when (un)locking with FOB or Comfort Access (quick click on the FOB doesn’t fold mirrors, hold it a bit longer and it will)
Mirrors + windows + sunroof open/ close from the FOB
Mirrors + windows + sunroof close from comfort access
Removal of cam/ reverse and iDrive start-up disclaimers/ warnings (these annoyed me a LOT)
Close trunk from driver-side button and FOB (cool function)
Tire pressure and temperature readings from TPMS sensors instead of just the "green" tires under Vehicle Status (must have imo for the M5)
Opening doors won't interrupt windows rolling up or down (with ignition or engine on)
Turn off amber LED side markers (just not a fan of those three lights)
Enable rear tail lights on with DRL (Richard convinced me based on how nice they look - I agreed once I really took a look)
Seat belt chimes and reminders removal (I use seat belts, I find it annoying when I sometimes drive 200 feet at 5 mph to my garage within my complex and it chimes)
Passenger mirror tilt further down when reverse gear is engaged to better see rear wheel when parking
Set air-recirculate to remember last setting
Set heated seats to remember last setting
Set A/C to remember last setting (very annoying that the air would always turn on at start-up)

After we were done, Richard went through each function to ensure they were working properly before leaving. All in all an awesome experience and I would def recommend Richard should you want coding.
Great Post, can you explain more what you meant by Rear Tail lights with DRL? and also what does the Turn indicators in HUD (really cool – they actually show up in green) look like?
That list sounds Perfect well done sir!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rter4 View Post
Great Post, can you explain more what you meant by Rear Tail lights with DRL? and also what does the Turn indicators in HUD (really cool – they actually show up in green) look like?
That list sounds Perfect well done sir!
The rear tail lights go on whenever I have my Halo Lights on (which is controlled by I Drive). The turn indicators are just two arrows, they blink green when you signal.

I would also code blinking brake lights under hard braking if I were to redo it today.
      04-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
c4rter4
Rep
Drives: 2014 Blue / Black / Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
The rear tail lights go on whenever I have my Halo Lights on (which is controlled by I Drive). The turn indicators are just two arrows, they blink green when you signal.

I would also code blinking brake lights under hard braking if I were to redo it today.
Great thank you for the clarification
Appreciate 0