E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Halfway through replacing CRANKshaft position sensor. Need some help.

06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
simi_go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Halfway through replacing CRANKshaft position sensor. Need some help.

Probably posting this in the wrong place but I am trying to change my crankshaft position sensor. And I need help. I have a 2006 325i. From what I have read and what I see on BMW TIS this should be somewhat straight forward but I can't seem to get it. The CPS should be right beneath the starter I either can't see it or can't get to it. I have done everything I can think of short of removing the starter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

This shows its location, part number 8 in there:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=10&hl=28

Bentley manual says it is underneath the starter motor. Need to lift the car from to access it from below. It has one M6 torx bolt holding it, aluminum. Need to be replaced with new. It has an o-ring that needs to use a new one also with new sensor. Be prepared to catch dripping oil. Tightening torque on the bolt 8 NM (6 ft-lb).

A cable goes into it, this can make it easy to find. Try to follow a cable harness that ends up underneath the starter motor.
The sensor may not be visible from bottom of the engine, because it is somewhat tucked into the engine from the pictures I see. You may need an inspection mirror and light. Manual doesn't say you need to remove starter to replace this. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Just found this says remove intake manifold to access and remove it, (I would think from above the engine)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671348

If you lift the car do make sure to use a stand and a back up stand or the jack still there also, incase stand fails. Just in case.... I had a jack failed, but I had the stands positioned. I have also seen pictures of jack stands failing off their welds. Be safe!
Appreciate 0