E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Helmet question

09-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

Helmet question

I purchased a SHOEI helmet (made for auto racing) about 9 years ago that had a "snell 95" rating. I recently went to Englishtown to run my car and the tech-inspector says that my helmet needs to be changed to a newer kind that meets more recent safety standards.
Here are my questions...can I just send the helmet to an authorized dealer and get it re-inspected to meet new standards? is there any other solution without buying a new helmet?
I really dont want to replace this one just because I had it airbrushed and painted.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

OUCH...that sucks. Unfortunately I think you will need to purchase a new one. Maybe you can e-mail or call Shoei and ask?
      09-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
I purchased a SHOEI helmet (made for auto racing) about 9 years ago that had a "snell 95" rating. I recently went to Englishtown to run my car and the tech-inspector says that my helmet needs to be changed to a newer kind that meets more recent safety standards.
Here are my questions...can I just send the helmet to an authorized dealer and get it re-inspected to meet new standards? is there any other solution without buying a new helmet?
I really dont want to replace this one just because I had it airbrushed and painted.
You are hosed...you need to buy a SA05 helmet now..the SA95 is definitely not acceptable at most driving events. Because they expire..this is why I dont have a troy lee design painted helmet right now.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Yeah, I think you're stuck buying a new lid.

I had my goalie mask custom painted while in college. Went through two helmets that season... I was pissed.
      09-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
AGIO_330i
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
You are hosed...you need to buy a SA05 helmet now..the SA95 is definitely not acceptable at most driving events. Because they expire
+1

Once you go Bimmer, you never go back!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

Thanks for the input...this time I'll buy a less expensive helmet.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

you must buy a new helmet. go with Arai, they are xpensive, but its your friggin head we are talking about here...do NOT, under any circumstance buy a cheap-o helmet!!!! arai GP-5 or GP- (when it comes out) is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Arai's dont fit my fat head..I have a Bell M2...or Bell M2 Pro...with the wide eyelet.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
you must buy a new helmet. go with Arai, they are xpensive, but its your friggin head we are talking about here...do NOT, under any circumstance buy a cheap-o helmet!!!! arai GP-5 or GP- (when it comes out) is the way to go!
I wouldn't necessarily go with Arai, get whatever fits your head the best. That being said, the more expensive helmets are usually lighter, which is better for your neck in an impact. But if the crash is serious enough, it won't matter unless you have a HANS.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
Thanks for the input...this time I'll buy a less expensive helmet.
Don't buy a "cheap" helmet... remember, it's your head in there.
But also with the super pricey ones, you're typically paying more for lighter materials and better venting. Get the helmet with the correct rating that fits your head best.
But yeah, custom paint jobs look great; but aren't worth it.
      09-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

You guys are funny. Theres no reason to buy an expensive helmet for driving in the car. Plus you wont really notice the weight of the helmet when you have it on for less than 5 minutes whether it be a drag race or an auto-x.

Now if youre talking a helmet for motorcycling thats a different story. Where your head can actually come in contact with anything and everything. In a car you have a whole cage around you with airbags.

All that being said, check out scorpion helmets. The exo-400 is a great helmet for as low as $100 at several places. They get great reviews and were tops in a recent safety test. A lot of times price doesnt correlate to safety. Most of the time it has to do with venting, colors, lightness and name brand.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
You guys are funny. Theres no reason to buy an expensive helmet for driving in the car. Plus you wont really notice the weight of the helmet when you have it on for less than 5 minutes whether it be a drag race or an auto-x.

Now if youre talking a helmet for motorcycling thats a different story. Where your head can actually come in contact with anything and everything. In a car you have a whole cage around you with airbags.

All that being said, check out scorpion helmets. The exo-400 is a great helmet for as low as $100 at several places. They get great reviews and were tops in a recent safety test. A lot of times price doesnt correlate to safety. Most of the time it has to do with venting, colors, lightness and name brand.
I still say dont buy a cheap helmet. Dont go overboard either..the OP definitely doesnt need a $749 helmet with a $500 paint job on it. I think a good price range would be from $250-300. Another suggestion, do NOT buy a helmet over the web unless you have tried it on somewhere else and know it fits your head.

BTW, I have owned four helmets so far...one motorcycle (M95) and three SA helmets.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
I still say dont buy a cheap helmet. Dont go overboard either..the OP definitely doesnt need a $749 helmet with a $500 paint job on it. I think a good price range would be from $250-300. Another suggestion, do NOT buy a helmet over the web unless you have tried it on somewhere else and know it fits your head.

BTW, I have owned four helmets so far...one motorcycle (M95) and three SA helmets.
While I agree with you, theres a difference between cheap, and inexpensive. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm check here for pretty much a test on every helmet out there.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

There's a whole lot wrong with that statement. First of all, most race sanctioning bodies/tracks have minimum requirements for helmets, usually a Snell rating. Although Scoprion claims some of its helmets are Snell rated, that would be an M rating, not an SA rating. Fine for autocross and maybe some dragstrips, but not always.

Second, don't discount the impact of a heavy helmet, even if only worn for short periods. It can make a big difference in comfort.

Finally, you'd be surprised what your head can come into contact with in a car, including the pavement if you don't keep it right side up. A basic three-point belt really doesn't do that great a job of keeping you in place, and even a five (or more) point racing belt allows a LOT of movement.

That said, there are some good, inexpensive helmets available, and you are right that more expensive usually means exotic materials for less weight or features that you may not need.

If you're thinking about doing track days, or anything more than autocross or drag racing, buy the best helmet you can afford. Safety is not the place to save money.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjames View Post

If you're thinking about doing track days, or anything more than autocross or drag racing, buy the best helmet you can afford. Safety is not the place to save money.

Richard

+1. I was at the PCA event at Poconos last weekend..3 days of racing, 25 minute sessions each. I only rode shotgun in the bosses race car, and I just borrowed my friends Bell helmet....it gets uncomfortable and heavy after about 10 minutes, and I start sweating like crazy in it.

The next session I borrowed my friends Arai helmet (the bell was a spare), and I immediatly noticed how much lighter it was, and much better ventilation. My neck didn't hurt after 25 minutes worth of almost 2Gs sustained coming around the Bowl.

My boss uses an Arai helmet as well. I would love to get my hands on one, but at the current price ($800 at least lol) its out of my range.

I dont care about pricing either....my car might have airbags and a rollcage and what not, but it has something a bike doesnt have...the chance of entrapping you, or catching fire....Car helmets sometimes cost more because even though they only are able to sustain one impact before they are junk, they are much more fire resistant compared to a motorcycle helmet.

On an off-topic note, the second I can fit some Toyo R888s to the car Im going road racing
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #16
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Arai's dont fit my fat head..I have a Bell M2...or Bell M2 Pro...with the wide eyelet.
for the formula Renault i use Arai GP-5 size XL!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

look @ my avatar...i got the paint job for free (sponsor) and i have HANS, and i have tried other helmets and you can really feel the difference after 30 minutes of driving between the weiht of the helmet on your head! and in the case you don't need nomex, you can go for the ARAI GP-5-K which is basically the same, just a bigger eyelet and not nomex and abit heavier...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #18
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
for the formula Renault i use Arai GP-5 size XL!!!
Havent done any open wheeled stuff yet..other than instructing someone in a caterham 7 ....I could drag my knuckles on the pavement with that one...and the roll bar was very substandard...YIKES. I bought a pyrotect last time..and I think the quality is mediocre...I am going back to a Bell M2 Pro..the pro meaning a bit lighter. Arai's are made for people with head shapes different than mine...I think I have tried on a XL before..and it still didnt fit right. I am sticking with basic white...since the paint jobs..the decent ones...cost too frickin much. I have a friend with a really nice one...but he paid over $500 for the paint job. He also was the overall winner in the Open Track Challenge event...5-6 track events in 5-6 days straight...and also was the overall winner in the 12 NASA enduro (central california) few years back.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep

As some have said, fit is very important - try it on! Some helmets fit oblong heads better (Simpson, Arai), some fit round heads better (Bell and, from a brief impression, HJC).

For an inexpensive Snell SA helmet, check out HJC's (http://www.hjc-motorsports.com/) AR10. A co-worker just got an Si12, which isn't cheap, but it's light and seems well-made. The rubberized coating on the black version is really cool, too.

ScheerSpeed, I can't quite tell...is that a Pro Formula Mazda in your avatar?

Richard
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
+1.
Car helmets sometimes cost more because even though they only are able to sustain one impact before they are junk, they are much more fire resistant compared to a motorcycle helmet.
Actually, the Snell test for an SA helmet includes multiple impacts - in an accident, your head is likely to hit the cage several times, especially in a roll. And, yes, one reason SA helmets are more expensive is the use of Nomex or CarbonX in the liner for fire retardancy (did I just make up a word?).

Richard
Appreciate 0