F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > whistle noise inside cabin
proTUNING Freaks

06-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Rose33
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport

whistle noise inside cabin

Has anybody else experienced this annoying noise? When im driving at speeds over 75mph with the sunroof in tilt mode I get a whistle noise near the driver side door. Its really annoying. I know it doesnt happen often only when the tilt is open and driving at high speeds, but does anyone know if this is an issue service can take care of or should I not even bother wasting my time?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

I have this same issue, haven't taken it in yet. I don't think it's normal. There are some threads about here that talk to a large amount of 'wind noise' and I think this is probably a similar issue. What I noticed is that the seal on the outside is not as good on the other windows... as a test, with all windows closed, I am able to stick my fingers upwards into the gap between the window glass and the frame... unable to do so on any other window.

I'll be bringing this up next few weeks when I get my oil change scheduled.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Rose33
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport

awesome let us know what they say.. I dont want to just take it in solely for that issue unless I know its a fixable service..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
I have this same issue, haven't taken it in yet. I don't think it's normal. There are some threads about here that talk to a large amount of 'wind noise' and I think this is probably a similar issue. What I noticed is that the seal on the outside is not as good on the other windows... as a test, with all windows closed, I am able to stick my fingers upwards into the gap between the window glass and the frame... unable to do so on any other window.

I'll be bringing this up next few weeks when I get my oil change scheduled.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
BlauWeiss
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i RWD

I have the exact same issue - if the sun roof is tilted and I'm going 75mph or above, the driver's side window whistles. Pushing against the window with my elbow makes it stop.

Not sure if I will mention this at the dealer, because they'd have to go above any legal speed limit to repro, and its probably better to have the sun roof closed when going that fast for noise reasons. With the sun roof closed, I have no whistling problems at any speed, so I don't want to introduce any new problems either by asking for a 'fix'.

If anyone does get this exact issue fixed, please do share here, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

+1 over here. Slight but clear whistling wind noise when driving more than 60 mph located at the drivers' upper window side close to B pillar. With sun roof tilted it gets even amplified. (due to forced cabine underpressure. = best way to follow up on countermeasures). When pushing the upper window side a bit, the whistling sound dissapears. I would mention it to the dealer. If no solution offered or when they suggest that it is within specifications, I would propose to do the following: (helped clearly in my case)
1: Take a used (or new) bike innertube and cut a piece of 3cm long and 4mm wide.
2: Open the window halfway
3: Use a small plastic tweezer (to prevent damage) and open (don't force) slightly the upper corners' seal from above.
4: Insert the innertube piece behind the orriginal seal in the uppercorner. (This way the seal pushes better to the window corner)
5: Check if the window is closing seamlessly
6: Testdrive with sun roof closed and opened and verify.

Drive, check and be happy.

7: If it helps, show it to the dealer so he has to confirm and ask for a professional BMW solution.

Hope this is helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
imsameer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

I have the same issue even with the sunroof closed. Took it to the dealer and they said it will cost $280(2 hours) to fix it as it is not covered under warranty. But if this issue occurred in the first 2 years or within 20,000 kms they would fix it.

I might try EJIB's solution, don't wanna spend $280 yet!
Appreciate 0