F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trunk locks with key inside
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Tooyoung00
Rep
Drives: 335i

Trunk locks with key inside

So I learn something new today.. the hard way.

Thanks to CA (Comfort Assist) I closed my trunk with my fob inside.

CA on E92, the trunk would just pop open again because the trunk was close with the fob inside.

In F30, it stays closed.

I called BMW assist, and requested for remote unlock. So everything was ok.

I thought I share it with other people.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Did the comfort access not allow you to open it even though the fob was inside the boot?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
campinoboi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive

Thats weird, i would have thought that with comfort access, because the key fob is still in the vicinity of the car, you should be able to just pop the trunk using the handle button or the foot swipe.. i wonder if you would also be able to still open your driver side door to pop the trunk from inside the cabin..

i'm gonna go try this out at home to make sure as i definitely don't want to be caught in the same situation

good to know though!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinoboi View Post
i'm gonna go try this out at home to make sure as i definitely don't want to be caught in the same situation
My thoughts exactly
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
It will open... Most of the time.

Did you have a lot of stuff in your trunk? I was moving into a new house, so my trunk was full, and I had put my keys, wallet, and cell phone in a basket as I was wearing gym shorts. Sat the basket in the trunk, closed it, and immediately realized what had just happened.

Luckily, a friend of mine, after some harassing, let me use his phone to call assist.

I knew there was a comfort access sensor in the trunk floor, so after I cleared my trunk out, I tested it again, and it immediately popped right back open.

So long story short... It will open if it senses the key in the trunk... Most of the time.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Hmmm. Not the case on my F30. I almost did the same thing. I left the key on the trunk floor, and tried to shut the trunk only for it to pop right back open again. I still didn't realize what was going on so I tried to shut it again, same thing, it popped right back up. Then I realized it was because I had left my keyfob in the trunk and it had just saved me from locking my key in the car. Wonder why yours isn't working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Is BMW Assist something you have to buy as an add-on when you purchase the car or is that included with all cars? I'm guessing I don't have it since I have no idea what the number is or what they can do for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Is BMW Assist something you have to buy as an add-on when you purchase the car or is that included with all cars? I'm guessing I don't have it since I have no idea what the number is or what they can do for you.
Extra-cost option on 2012 and 2013 models, but I think it's included standard on 2014 models. (Via components 6AC BMW Assist eCall, 6AE BMW TeleServices, and 8SC TeleService Activation which are listed as standard on the 2014 ordering guide.)

IIRC, if you have it there should be an "SOS" button near your rear-view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
OCcaraholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Just tried it...My trunk reopened automatically.
      06-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Did the same thing but actually locked my fob in the trunk inside my backpack. Just gave the old kick sweep and the trunk opened right up. I was surprised and thought I was screwed but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
Did the same thing but actually locked my fob in the trunk inside my backpack. Just gave the old kick sweep and the trunk opened right up. I was surprised and thought I was screwed but it worked.
Now that's quick thinking!!
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
JPC Moose
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30/N20Sport /Silver

Same here, locked all doors opened trunk threw the key fob in trunk closed the trunk and it reopened. I did this numerous times and trunk will reopen with fob left in the trunk.
I will not lock. Great feature to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinoboi View Post
Thats weird, i would have thought that with comfort access, because the key fob is still in the vicinity of the car, you should be able to just pop the trunk using the handle button or the foot swipe.. i wonder if you would also be able to still open your driver side door to pop the trunk from inside the cabin..

good to know though!
Any update? Have you tried locking all the doors and then closing the trunk with the fob inside? I would think that's when the trunk would not close. I don't have CA, so just curious (George).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
bbq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I know this is an somewhat old thread, but unfortunately the same thing happened to my wife yesterday.

She was at the grocery store and she put her purse down in the back trunk then closed it. The trunk didn't reopen automatically as it should, so I ended up having to drive there with the spare key to unlock the car.

After some testings back home it seems that the signal from one of the fobs is very weak. I had to toss the key towards the front of the trunk in order for the car to detect the fob, even it wasn't in a purse or anything. If I just put the fob in the back or middle of the trunk the car it wasn't able to detect it. The funny thing was that the car had no problem sensing the fob when it was outside the trunk (i.e. in my wife's purse when she was standing right behind the trunk).

I repeated the above scenarios with my key and didn't have any problem. Although I didn't try putting my key in a bag or something like that.

The car was only a few weeks old so I will be surprise if the weak signal was caused by the battery. Anyway I am going to replace the battery and see if it will help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Had a situation where I put my golf bag back in the car after my round and forgot to take my fob out, closed the trunk....popped back open.... Closed again and it opened again, then I realized what I had done. Seems to be a great feature. Sorry for those of you with bad luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL
Had a situation where I put my golf bag back in the car after my round and forgot to take my fob out, closed the trunk....popped back open.... Closed again and it opened again, then I realized what I had done. Seems to be a great feature. Sorry for those of you with bad luck.
Now if only your golf game was just a bit better......😜

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq View Post
I know this is an somewhat old thread, but unfortunately the same thing happened to my wife yesterday.

She was at the grocery store and she put her purse down in the back trunk then closed it. The trunk didn't reopen automatically as it should, so I ended up having to drive there with the spare key to unlock the car.

After some testings back home it seems that the signal from one of the fobs is very weak. I had to toss the key towards the front of the trunk in order for the car to detect the fob, even it wasn't in a purse or anything. If I just put the fob in the back or middle of the trunk the car it wasn't able to detect it. The funny thing was that the car had no problem sensing the fob when it was outside the trunk (i.e. in my wife's purse when she was standing right behind the trunk).

I repeated the above scenarios with my key and didn't have any problem. Although I didn't try putting my key in a bag or something like that.

The car was only a few weeks old so I will be surprise if the weak signal was caused by the battery. Anyway I am going to replace the battery and see if it will help.
There's a button by the driver's side just anterior to the door that will release and open the trunk- could have saved you a trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I believe that if you leave the key in the trunk AFTER the car is locked it will let you lock the key in. For example, pop the trunk from inside the car, then lock via CA at the door. If the car is locked prior to opening the trunk it won't. I haven't tried this yet, but my CA explained it this way to my folks when they picked up their E90 with CA this week.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
bbq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I believe that if you leave the key in the trunk AFTER the car is locked it will let you lock the key in. For example, pop the trunk from inside the car, then lock via CA at the door. If the car is locked prior to opening the trunk it won't. I haven't tried this yet, but my CA explained it this way to my folks when they picked up their E90 with CA this week.
Actually it is the other way around. If the car doors are NOT locked, it will let you lock the key in the trunk. If the car doors are locked, the trunk will pop open as long as the car is able to detect the key.

Basically the car make sure you wont able to lock your key in trunk without any mean to re-open it. Sounds good in theory at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
bbq
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
There's a button by the driver's side just anterior to the door that will release and open the trunk- could have saved you a trip.
Sure if she has the magic power to press the button without opening the door. :-P Remember the car was locked.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

I haven't tried the trunk mishap, but I did try to use CA to lock my car doors when I left my key in the cup holder. It wouldn't lock from the button on the handle.

One other mistake I made when the car was new: You cannot use the CA from outside the car, nor lock the car with the fob if someone is still in the car. It'll set of the alarm as soon as they shift their weight a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL
Now if only your golf game was just a bit better......😜
And thank you for that sir! My golf game is solid for not being able to play too often. 😜
Appreciate 0