E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Thoughts after Dual tip Muffler Delete

06-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Thoughts after Dual tip Muffler Delete

Hey all,

I have a e90 330i that I have been rocking with a dual exhaust since last year. My setup was a Magnaflow 12138 muffler (single inlet dual outlet) with a resonator delete and it sounded great, but i was getting bored.

Now, let me say I am a fan (just like many of you) of a little bit of gargling/popping from my exhaust. I received minimal amounts of that from this exhaust, but I wanted more. As I stated above, I also was getting bored and wanted something louder as well. I was thinking maybe a secondary cat delete but wondered how much it would actually effect the sound.

Fast forward to me on a day off bored at home. I think to myself, let me go chop my muffler off at the local shop. How much louder can it possibly get? LOL boy lesson learned.

After switching out the muffler with a y-pipe, the car is crazy loud. Backfire literally sounds like shotguns. Under overpasses, the car sounds like a v8. The drone is really unbearable, though.

I am probably going to go back to the shop on my next day off to put the muffler back on. I am, however, thinking about putting it in place of where my resonator used to be. So essentially, I will be replacing the y-pipe from my resonator delete with the muffler.

This way, the muffler wont be out where the stock muffler used to be and i'm thinking that it might give me a little bit more of a growl. It makes sense to me, since there will be a muffler (to take care of the drone), but there will be some straight pipe action from there out.

I know there is a lot of discussion about this from people so I figured I'd share with you.

Also, I'd appreciate if those who know more about exhaust systems than I do can tell me if my "logical" way of thinking isnt so logical at all. I am also open to any other suggestions. I love the sound, I just need to get rid of the drone, since theres so much of it.

Thanks guys! Feel free to ask questions about anything
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Cool, looking forward to the results

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
Cool, looking forward to the results
i drove around for a while yesterday and the sound is

lets see if the love for the sound outweighs my hate for the drone haha
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

I like your idea of placing the 12138 muffler in the resonator spot. Never seen that done before. The drone I know what you mean because I did a straight pipe muffler delete thread more than a month ago. Some mufflers do make a difference to quiet it down, some mufflers are straight flow. Instead of your muffler because its a bit bulky, have you tried vibrant resonators? I'm thinking its a 2 in 1 combo, resonator and muffler to rid the drone but still get the sound and gurgle you want. Straight pipe that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I like your idea of placing the 12138 muffler in the resonator spot. Never seen that done before. The drone I know what you mean because I did a straight pipe muffler delete thread more than a month ago. Some mufflers do make a difference to quiet it down, some mufflers are straight flow. Instead of your muffler because its a bit bulky, have you tried vibrant resonators? I'm thinking its a 2 in 1 combo, resonator and muffler to rid the drone but still get the sound and gurgle you want. Straight pipe that.
I was wondering the same, how ever I don't think the resonator will combat thaat much of the drone. i was also thinking of putting a small magnaflow race muffler to get the sound in between what a res and my muffler would be.

Honestly, I don't wanna go ahead and buy all these components that prolly won't work for me. Even those who have MD with res still in place have drone so im thinking maybe vibrant resonators on each of the pipes leading to the outlet?

A side branched resonator may also help but i don't wanna go that fancy. These are straight pipes after all haha
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I was wondering the same, how ever I don't think the resonator will combat thaat much of the drone. i was also thinking of putting a small magnaflow race muffler to get the sound in between what a res and my muffler would be.

Honestly, I don't wanna go ahead and buy all these components that prolly won't work for me. Even those who have MD with res still in place have drone so im thinking maybe vibrant resonators on each of the pipes leading to the outlet?

A side branched resonator may also help but i don't wanna go that fancy. These are straight pipes after all haha
All good ideas. Maybe something simple, some kind of flap somewhere in the pipe. Manually screw drive it off and on.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
All good ideas. Maybe something simple, some kind of flap somewhere in the pipe. Manually screw drive it off and on.
Idk about all that. I rather have something that is in place all the time.

Im loving the sound more and more every day tho...this might be a problem
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I have a muffler delete but still have a resonator. There is little drone on the highway (I just did a 9 hour 550 mile road trip on Tuesday) . I honestly didn't even notice an exhaust noise with cruise control set to 80. However, it can become a little drone in city traffic when accelerating between lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
i drove around for a while yesterday and the sound is

lets see if the love for the sound outweighs my hate for the drone haha
I know its never as good as real life, but sound clip! Like right meow! lol, but seriously, you should upload one soon.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Beamin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 06 330i Sport

I have a 330 with a muffler delete and magna flow y pipe. I am very on as off with it. I LOVE the gurgle and pop. Literally every time I let go of the pedal after accelerating it pops. That never gets old. Sounds best pushing it from 2-3. If you go over 4000 rpms in first it makes a really loud ricer sound. I like this because it doesn't make me push it hard. I have sound clips I uploaded of reving and a drive by. Check them out!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep

Quote:
I know its never as good as real life, but sound clip! Like right meow! lol, but seriously, you should upload one soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamin View Post
I have a 330 with a muffler delete and magna flow y pipe. I am very on as off with it. I LOVE the gurgle and pop. Literally every time I let go of the pedal after accelerating it pops. That never gets old. Sounds best pushing it from 2-3. If you go over 4000 rpms in first it makes a really loud ricer sound. I like this because it doesn't make me push it hard. I have sound clips I uploaded of reving and a drive by. Check them out!
Where are your sound clips Beamin?

And Spinz I made a video but it wasnt too great. I have it up on fb will try to get a better one soon
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Beamin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 06 330i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamin View Post
Where are your sound clips Beamin?

And Spinz I made a video but it wasnt too great. I have it up on fb will try to get a better one soon
I uploaded two in the forums. Should be searchable
Appreciate 0