E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > HID Foglight coding help

06-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
gunda
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e92

HID Foglight coding help

I have looked around about installing HID Fog Lights and have discovered that there are a few ways to get them working. I have decided to install a set of HID Fog Lights that I bought from ebay on my car and attempt to code them to work. I have a 2008 BMW 335i e92 coupe with the NFRM Module. I have already modified the FSW_PSW File for the bulb checks in accordance to the PDF File. However, only one of the lines was found in my FSW_PSW File, and I did get a random bulb error show up today, but it hasn't returned since.

These are the following questions I am looking to get assistance on:

1. The bulb checks that are set to nicht_aktiv are: KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL, KALTUEBERWACHUNG_KZL, and WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL. I wanted to verify that these are all I need to deactivate for my HID Fog Light errors.

2. Should I search WARMUEBERWACHUNG and KALTUEBERWACHUNG and deactivate them all to be safe?

3. The Fog Lights appear to stay on and work while the car is on, but my welcome lights do not work properly. When I unlock my car the fog lights flicker and act randomly: either one turns off, both stay on, or both flicker and turn off. I read that tinkering with the voltages in the nettodat file can fix the flickering problem, but I'm not sure how to do this. Will changing the voltages fix my welcome light problem.

Here are my FSW_PSW and NETTODAT Files from my NFRM Module:

FSW_PSW.txt

NETTODAT.txt

If someone could change the voltages for my fog lights for me I would really appreciate it. From what I read setting the voltage to 13.2v should fix them? Also if you guys can help me learn how to do this myself that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Some quick changes added here
Attached Files
File Type: txt updated.txt (35.0 KB, 382 views)
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
gunda
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yo Jag, heres the new NETTODAT file after I uploaded your new FSW_PSW and read the NFRM Module again:

NETTODAT.TXT
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
If I'm reading you correctly, the only time you have the problem is when the Welcome lights come On?

Did you code the fogs to come On with the Welcome lights?

On my 2009 E92 they never came On with Welcome lights from factory - may be a difference in years?

It would follow that the flickering is due to the lowered voltage supplied with the Welcome circuit & the HID ballasts are not fully lighting off.

Yes, you could try adjusting voltage with NETTODAT, but an easier route would be just to code the fogs to NOT come ON with Welcome lights - it's really not necessary...

I have HPB HID fogs in my E92, coded out Cold/Warm checks & Error reporting & have never had a problem (but again, they are not used as Welcome lights)
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
gunda
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That's correct I did code the fog lights to come on when the car is unlocked. I decided to just deactivate this in order to avoid any further problems, the lights work perfectly when the car is on and no error lights come on. Thats good enough for me
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
David120d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d

Hello,

I think I found why your fog lights with HID didn't work:

A HID system needs a voltage of 12 or more Volts, in continous power, but with "WL_NSW soft_einschalten", you are telling to your car to send a power that start from 0V to 12V (or a similar voltage) in a soft increase voltage (it take 1 or 2 seconds to have the full voltage).

When you say "WL_NSW hart_einschalten", your car will send the 0V to 12V instantly, so the HID system will have enough power to start.

But in my car (E87 LCI - 03/2007), the only two values alowed are:

- nicht_aktiv
- soft_einschalten

I have used NCSDummy to disassembly the right file for my car "FRM2_E89.C09"

If your FRM looks like mine, it's default value are:

Code:
PARZUWEISUNG_FSW : {00003405} 0000000B 0001 0E59 {6C} (0C) {h} {} // WL_NSW
PARZUWEISUNG_PSW1 : 0009 (00) // nicht_aktiv
PARZUWEISUNG_PSW1 : 0492 (01) // soft_einschalten
And you have to change it to:
Code:
PARZUWEISUNG_FSW : {00003405} 0000000B 0001 0E59 {6C} (0C) {h} {} // WL_NSW
PARZUWEISUNG_PSW1 : 0009 (00) // nicht_aktiv
PARZUWEISUNG_PSW1 : 0492 (01) // soft_einschalten
PARZUWEISUNG_PSW1 : 0493 (02) // hart_einschalten
"After changing the disassembled text file. I made sure to save a copy of the original FRM2_E89.C09. I then used NCS Dummy to browse for the disassembled text file for assembly and saved. I then copied the changed FRM2_E89.C09 into the location in the NCSEXPER\DATEN\E89" @ archybrid - BMCODING

After have done this, edit your FSW_PSW.txt with this line

Code:
WL_NSW
     nicht_aktiv
to:

Code:
WL_NSW
     hart_einschalten
And code your car.

If you try it, thank you to report if it works or not, and remember, BACKUP ALL OF YOUR FILES BEFORE STARTING!!!

(Sorry if I have errors in English, it's not my language)
Appreciate 0