F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HFC Downpipe questions
Studio RSR

06-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
ohrich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

HFC Downpipe questions

I'm thinking of getting the Challenge HFC Downpipe.

Is anyone running this with MPPK? Do you have any issues with CEL's

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I just placed my order a couple days ago. I was told they are currently out of stock and it will be another couple days for production/shipping. Once it gets here I'm looking to install ASAP and I will shoot you a pm or reply here with any findings.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
F30_Performance
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

I have it. And i have after 1000miles a cel. I look now to delete the cel with the jb4.
      06-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

The reason I was thinking about going HFC was for perhaps being able to pass emissions and no CEL, but if they're both an issue, not sure what the advantage of HFC over catless is.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
D.Mathys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

You are the first I have heard about getting a CEL . Any other mods that may have contributed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_Performance View Post
I have it. And i have after 1000miles a cel. I look now to delete the cel with the jb4.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
F30_Performance
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mathys View Post
You are the first I have heard about getting a CEL . Any other mods that may have contributed?
No i only have the downpipe and the m performance exhaust. But i have a europa model may be this is the reason. I think we have other emission control i dont know.
      06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
The reason I was thinking about going HFC was for perhaps being able to pass emissions and no CEL, but if they're both an issue, not sure what the advantage of HFC over catless is.
Smell and the black soot buildup
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Smell and the black soot buildup
Can you run Stage 2 JB4 on Map 2 with HFC or do you need to go full catless?

I think Challenge said, in another thread, that the HFC produces about 5hp less, so not a huge loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I think Challenge said, in another thread, that the HFC produces about 5hp less, so not a huge loss.
I'm doing it now and its awesome!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:

I'd like to know this too
      06-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
AussieF30
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M SPORT

Im installing the challenge hfc tomorrow on my RHD.
O2 sensor will make for a tight fit.
Im running the Hartge tune so fingers crossed! will dyno to see power gains.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #12
Cateye
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieF30 View Post
Hi AussieF30. I assume you are on 335.. can feedback if the HFC with your Hartge have cel issue.. ? I may get the HFC too.. thanks..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieF30 View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
I'd like to know this too
You can run it with map 2 of the JB4 Stage 2. Someone asked this question on the BMS website and Terry said yes as long as you're going with at least 93 octane fuel.

Still won't pass emissions in almost all situations and have to clear the CEL. He said gains should be on part with the catless with 8-10hp less.

Not sure if the price for catted is worth it given slightly less performance and still the emissions issue. Regardless, it's still going to give you better spool and power than the stock version and slightly louder sounding exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You can run it with map 2 of the JB4 Stage 2. Someone asked this question on the BMS website and Terry said yes as long as you're going with at least 93 octane fuel.

Still won't pass emissionsions in almost all situations and have to clear the CEL. He said gains should be on part with the catless with 8-10hp less.

Not sure if the price for catted is worth it given slightly less performance and still the emissions issue. Regardless, it's still going to give you better spool and power than the stock version and slightly louder sounding exhaust note.
Thanks for the response.

My main concern is smell because I meet a lot of clients etc and people on forums were saying the smell can stick to clothes etc with catless downpipe. I'd much rather get the cheaper better performance catless but seems HFC is much less smelly at the cost of some performance. Don't know.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

My main concern is smell because I meet a lot of clients etc and people on forums were saying the smell can stick to clothes etc with catless downpipe. I'd much rather get the cheaper better performance catless but seems HFC is much less smelly at the cost of some performance. Don't know.
100% exact reason I got the hfc dp. Would have much preferred the cheaper better performing catless dp but for work, the hfc option is much more practical for me.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I can't tell you from experience but from those that have commented on the smell with catless DPs, they're saying they don't even notice the smell. The only time I've heard it can smell a little is when the car is at idle and you're sitting outside the car and kinda looking for it and one person claims that no one has ever mentioned it even when he had people standing around the car at idle.

With that said, they did note that it's due to the secondary cats that keeps it from smelling. Apparently, removal of that causes it to really smell.

Take that for what you will. Like I said, I haven't had personal experience just sharing what others have said.

Here are some comments I've found (some are specifically related to N54, but I'd expect the N55 DP change to be similar)

"You won't have an odor if you have a stock N54 cutback. Once the secondary cats are warm, they're enough to prevent this.

Personally, on my N54, I don't have any rasp or drone with the stock cutback and 3" AA downpipes."

"I have a vert so I was really worried about the smell but after the first week it's not bad at all. Every now and then if I park in the garage, jump out, and walk behind the car i'll smell it. But generally the smell isn't an issue. Stock Catback with AA here"

"There is a slight sound difference but I personally can't smell a difference with my ******* dps.

I've had ******* downpipes in other cars without secondary cats and the smell is terrible."

"I can smell a difference, but its not horrible. No one else has ever noticed it. "
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I can't tell you from experience but from those that have commented on the smell with catless DPs, they're saying they don't even notice the smell. The only time I've heard it can smell a little is when the car is at idle and you're sitting outside the car and kinda looking for it and one person claims that no one has ever mentioned it even when he had people standing around the car at idle.

With that said, they did note that it's due to the secondary cats that keeps it from smelling. Apparently, removal of that causes it to really smell.

Take that for what you will. Like I said, I haven't had personal experience just sharing what others have said.

Here are some comments I've found (some are specifically related to N54, but I'd expect the N55 DP change to be similar)

"You won't have an odor if you have a stock N54 cutback. Once the secondary cats are warm, they're enough to prevent this.

Personally, on my N54, I don't have any rasp or drone with the stock cutback and 3" AA downpipes."

"I have a vert so I was really worried about the smell but after the first week it's not bad at all. Every now and then if I park in the garage, jump out, and walk behind the car i'll smell it. But generally the smell isn't an issue. Stock Catback with AA here"

"There is a slight sound difference but I personally can't smell a difference with my ******* dps.

I've had ******* downpipes in other cars without secondary cats and the smell is terrible."

"I can smell a difference, but its not horrible. No one else has ever noticed it. "
Yeah I read their comments, but apparently the older N54 has 4 cats N55 has only 2, so remove 1 you're left with only 1..im trying to look for the thread, that thread really scared me!
      06-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
bosz
Captain
Rep

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504595
      06-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I read their comments, but apparently the older N54 has 4 cats N55 has only 2, so remove 1 you're left with only 1..im trying to look for the thread, that thread really scared me!
Yea it's amazing how there are people on both sides of the spectrum, some say it smells and others say they don't notice it at all...

It does make more sense that the N54 would have more cats since there were double the down pipes (2 vs 1).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yea it's amazing how there are people on both sides of the spectrum, some say it smells and others say they don't notice it at all...

It does make more sense that the N54 would have more cats since there were double the down pipes (2 vs 1).
Yeah i think in Realty it probably smells really bad and the ones who say no smell are just trying to make themselves feel better about it. No offense but there's a lot of bias in these forums and I've seen enough of it to make a judgement when half the people say wow its smells like shit and the other half so oh no not at all no smell. Lol i think HFC it is ya'll I'd I wasn't meeting clients all day I wouldn't car about the smell.
      06-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #22
bosz
Captain
Rep

And can someone Pls explain what is a CEL? Also I'm reading that we don't get CEL with the high flow cats, is that true?