F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New F31 M-Sport 330d on the way
Extreme Powerhouse

05-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

New F31 M-Sport 330d on the way

Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for a while, taking advice on options etc. Thanks to you guys I plumped for the adaptive suspension, the Harmon Kardon and the xenons.

Anyway, after months of research and thinking, I've placed an order for the above car in Estoril Blue and black dakota, and the following options.

Parking package, Active Security Package, Interior comfort package, Pro media package, Visibility package, M sport brakes, variable sport steering, adaptive M-Sport suspension, comfort access, sun protection glass, lumbar support, seat heating front and rear, sliding armrest, active cruise control, folding dimming mirrors, surround view, internet, enhanced bluetooth, 19 inch wheels.

In fact, the only important options I didn't go for are the sun-roof (would have liked that, but just too expensive) and the electrically adjustable seats (ditto). I'm ignoring the TV of course - has anyone got that?

Also, I thought a combo of Tanzanite blue and Coral Red would look absolutely stunning, but my wife thought it would look just a bit too "in yer face" - afterall, this is a family car for 2 adults, 3 children, a dog and their luggage - so decided on the slightly more conservative combo of Estoril and black.

I'm really looking forward to this car as I've never owned a BMW before. In fact, the only thing close in genre was an Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro, which I sold 3 years ago. The Audi was a great car. I thoroughly enjoyed owning it, but by all accounts, the 3 Series was always considered a step ahead of it for driving pleasure. Oh and the paper stats just don't compare - Audi: 220bhp, 26.7 MPG. BMW: 258bhp, 50+ MPG.

I test drove the 320d and must admit to being a little underwhelmed, both of the gruffness of the engine note and the power. I'm not saying either was particularly bad - but after all the rave reviews the car had been getting, I was just expecting a little more. I guess it's a personal thing whether you like it or not. I asked to test drive a 330d but the dealer said it's really difficult to get hold of them, so yes, I've committed the cardinal sin of buying a car without having driven it!

I've read all the stuff about how quoted MPG figures are never matched in real life and am fully prepared to accept that the BMW will not get anywhere near the 50+ figure with anything like the enthusiastic driving that the engine encourages. However, I tend to find that my long-term averages more or less do equal the quoted figures with a mix roads and driving styles. They did in my Audi, likewise all the other cars I've had (Alfa 156, Peugeot 206, Toyota Corolla, etc etc).

Anyway, apparently it's due to go to build on 24th June, with delivery to the dealer expected on 15 July. Look forward to getting back to you with an update on what it's like to drive!

Last edited by bwrlane; 05-31-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Good choice on your car. Without driving the 3 litre, i;m sure you will be most impressed. A large number of posters on this site are drivers of this model. This is the place to be for any information.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Welcome,

Many of us 3.0litre drivers didn't get the chance to test drive them. They only started coming out around end Sept early Oct.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

If I had more money I would have a 3.0. But I still love my 320
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
In fact, the only important options I didn't go for are the sun-roof (would have liked that, but just too expensive) and the electrically adjustable seats (ditto). I'm ignoring the TV of course - has anyone got that?
I've got both the sun roof and the TV option. The sun roof is good but as you say expensive, but isn't that the same with every option that BMW do.

The TV also has its uses. You get the full Freeview selection, depending upon location/signal strength. I can now while away my time watching TV instead of reading a book whilst waiting in the car.

I think you'll enjoy the 330d, I certainly am. Now that I've run it in for its 1,200 miles (now around 1,800 miles). I am exploring the full Sport Mode with the sports gearbox setting using the flappy paddles. ITS AWESOME.
      06-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Yes, overall I think I've made the right choices on engine and options. I did flirt with the idea of getting the 335i. I saw some videos on youtube of the 335 doing 0-100 and such, and the engine note sounded so glorious. Mind you, I thought the 330d was not far off, with quite a tuneful and sporty note on full throttle. Most surprising for a diesel. The thing that really killed the thought of the 335i though, was the idea that when the 335d is released, it will better it on every front, performance and fuel economy.

It's thanks to you guys that I decided the adaptive suspension was a must have. As far as I have heard, the car is a different beast with and without. But I almost signed on the dotted line in February for a 330d (luxury trim, without adaptive suspension). Thank goodness caution intervened and I decided to do some more research and reading first.

Doubtless I will have a lot of questions - this being the first time I've owned a BMW. My first one concerns winter tyres. Obviously, without the harsh winter climate that many continental Europeans have, we Brits tend to be more ignorant of such matters. Last winter, we got by with our Toyota Corolla Verso, without bothering to change the tyres. This is FWD and of course, non-run flats. And provided you drove it gently, it was ok (just). Before that I had the Audi A4 Quattro that coped pretty well.

But by all accounts, the BMW will be worse than any of the above in the winter. Firstly because it is RWD (which is apparently worse in the snow), and secondly because it has runflat tyres that have little pliancy and hence, grip in slippery conditions. I've also heard that the BMW tyres start to lose their bite in the cold, even when it's not icy. All of this suggests that muddling through the winter on the same tyres will no longer be an option.

So... to my questions. Is it best to change just the tyres, or the wheels as well? Most people in this forum seem to change the wheels - why is this? The price of a full set of wheels and decent winter tyres, is surely a heck of a lot.

Secondly, is this something you can do at home, and is any special equipment needed (other than obviously a jack), or should you get someone else to change them?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I believe that it is not a good idea to swap run flats on and off regularly, don't know if this claim is justified.

I have a 330D x drive on order and have decided to go for winters. I have specc'd the car with Msport 19s and ordered a set of Msport 18s for winter tyres. I will probably be putting on pilot alpines as I had them in an E92 M3 and was pleased with them. I decided not to go for the BMW OEM winter set as they are 18s the same width all round and as i found with the M3 I think too much of a compromise when roads are dry. I had a Z4MC back in 2006 and put on a set of OEM E46 M3 wheels (used from eBay) with Winters in the std M size and it was a better compromise for our climate.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
yeah winters are a season-changer for BMWs. I think other cars on summer tyres (FWD & AWD) give you the false sense of security coz they get you going on the road but the safety aspect of winter tyres is definitely worth investing in.

I have winter runflats on my E61 - I managed to get cheap second hand BMW wheels that I keep the tyres on. Once balanced there's no real reason why you can't do it yourself .... BUT it took me quite a while to get properly set up: a) need a jack (which they don't usually give with BMWs), b) you need a lug nut wrench (ditto), c) if your wheels have been on for a long time they may stick a bit so you need to gently but firmly whack them off.

There's also always the chance the wheels may lose some weights over time, so one should regularly get them balanced anyway...

I've previously said I don't want to invest in winters on my 2 year leaser, but I'm slowly falling for the car - if it grows by this winter I might invest in wheels + tyres as a longer term thing for when I buy a nice second hand LCI one...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Thanks to you guys I plumped for the adaptive suspension, the Harmon Kardon and the xenons.

As originally posted by Bwrlane above - so did I! Though not at the time of ordering and had to go back to the dealer to edit but I'm glad I did.

I too ordered the 330D without a test drive (tested in a 328) but my dealer let me out in an F31 330D M Sport for half hour the other week and it was just fabulous. So responsive and smooth with such a push in your back as it surges forward. I am so looking forward to delivery next month...

Thanks to everyone on tis board for helping with the selection.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

I know what you mean about the 320d being a bit underwhelming - I have driven a 320ed and a 320d (both about 10 miles or thereabouts) and a 330d (about 300 miles over four days). I still haven't taken the plunge but am set on six cylinders - the power and economy combination of the 330d is really fab - and no danger of feeling underwhelmed. Though you will be doing incredibly well to match official mpg (even if you have managed in other cars)
Appreciate 0