E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Ticket clinic for red light camera tickets

05-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
A friend got a red light camera ticket in Boca recently. Does anyone have experience using the Ticket Clinic to get it dismissed.

How much did it end up costing? Was it successful? How long did it take?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
aquajon
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Interested too, same thing happened to me in Boca recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No one has used them?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Glopez5
First Lieutenant
Honduras
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

All I know is I got one of these for turning right on a red. Don't mess around, if you are close to the payment date just pay it.

it's only a $150 ticket, i didn't pay mine thinking i would fight it in court and then decided not to because i couldn't find representation and i was lazy. I ended up paying $260 because once it's in traffic courts hands they jack up price......

just my opinion... Also, you don't get points on your license because it's not a uniform officer that pulled you over. That's what they when I had to go to traffic court to pay it.

07 E92 335i -BSM- Sport- iDrive- Premium- Cold Weather- Aero Lip- M3 Trunk Lip- Injen Dual Cone- Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads- R1 Premium Cross Drilled Rotors- H&R Sport -JB4+Ethonal- - Raceland DPs - Avant Garde M310- Alpine TypeR 10''- Alpine MRP-M500 Amp
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopez5
All I know is I got one of these for turning right on a red. Don't mess around, if you are close to the payment date just pay it.

it's only a $150 ticket, i didn't pay mine thinking i would fight it in court and then decided not to because i couldn't find representation and i was lazy. I ended up paying $260 because once it's in traffic courts hands they jack up price......

just my opinion... Also, you don't get points on your license because it's not a uniform officer that pulled you over. That's what they when I had to go to traffic court to pay it.
Thanks for your advice. They charge $75 to fight it and offer money back guarantee if they can't get it dropped. Seems like a crap shoot.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

I reside in SC but i used ticket clinic when i went to tampa to pick up my bmw and i got tickets for following too closely, speeding, tint and having a suspended drivers license without knowledge. I paid the ticket clinic to represent me in court, the tint ticket i paid ($150) and didn't fight it because that ticket didn't carry points. The other 3 tickets they got expunged and never went on my record, i ended up paying their fee which was close to $350 plus court fees which was like another $200 so in total i probably payed an extra $100-$150 then i would have if i just payed the tickets however the tickets didn't go on my record therefore i got no points taken off and my insurance didnt go up a cent.

If your ticket carries points i strongly suggest ticket clinic because what you spend paying them to fight it you'll save 10x in insurance in the next 5 yrs that it stays on your record, if its your first time chances are you will get away with court fees, If you are a repeat offender they'll likely just reduce the fine(maybe not) but they guarantee no points on your license almost every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
kasel34
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 msport

I suggest going to the ticket clinic as well. I've used them twice, both for
speeding. Only had to pay the $79 both times and that was it. Both cases were
thrown out in court...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc View Post
A friend got a red light camera ticket in Boca recently. Does anyone have experience using the Ticket Clinic to get it dismissed.

How much did it end up costing? Was it successful? How long did it take?

Thanks
I used the ticket clinic for a speeding ticket on Southern boulevard going east under Congress Australian pass over it drops from 55 to 45 I was going 60. All the ticket clinic did was keep the points points off my license but the court costs, fees and retainer still added up to the cost of the ticket minus the points and having it on my driving record.

Since red light cameras don't give you points in the state of Florida you can only receive points if a physical cop rights you a ticket. If you pay the fine that would have to be your decision. Will the fees and retainer cost the same as the ticket and if you loose in court points can be put on your license at that time plus payment of the ticket.

Previous Resident of West Palm Beach, FL just moved up to Birmingham 60 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhoffm80 View Post
I used the ticket clinic for a speeding ticket on Southern boulevard going east under Congress Australian pass over it drops from 55 to 45 I was going 60. All the ticket clinic did was keep the points points off my license but the court costs, fees and retainer still added up to the cost of the ticket minus the points and having it on my driving record.

Since red light cameras don't give you points in the state of Florida you can only receive points if a physical cop rights you a ticket. If you pay the fine that would have to be your decision. Will the fees and retainer cost the same as the ticket and if you loose in court points can be put on your license at that time plus payment of the ticket.

Previous Resident of West Palm Beach, FL just moved up to Birmingham 60 days ago.
One more quick note if you decide to fight it. If it was a right on red its a lot easier to get them dismissed in Palm Beach County and Broward County. If you friend was driving through the intersection then you next step would be to time the yellow light they shorten that light often were red light cameras are just to make money off the tickets since they don't put points on a drivers license. Time the yellow light your friend ran and time the light the other way without the camera or go to a different street intersection and time that if all 4 directions have red light cameras. and just use your iphone or galaxy phone to do it that may help you fight it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input guys. I live on the west coast and my buddy is from jax so neither of us can time the light, although that sounds like a great idea.

It would cost $160 to pay now or $270 if it goes to court and loses. Ticket clinic only charges $75 and will refund that if they can't get it dismissed. Not a huge difference in cost regardless of outcome, but if it were me I'd want to fight it just to deprive Boca of their shakedown money.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you want to fight and have the time to fight it, you will win it, not question about it.

What you got in the mail is not a ticket, it nothing more than a private company blackmailing you. "If you don't pay me this, I'll tell the cops".

For a cop to write you a citation, the cop has to be present on the scene. A camera is not a cop, even if they have video of you going through 20 red light cameras, a cop has to be present on the scene, that's the law. Search it.
      06-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc
Thanks for the input guys. I live on the west coast and my buddy is from jax so neither of us can time the light, although that sounds like a great idea.

It would cost $160 to pay now or $270 if it goes to court and loses. Ticket clinic only charges $75 and will refund that if they can't get it dismissed. Not a huge difference in cost regardless of outcome, but if it were me I'd want to fight it just to deprive Boca of their shakedown money.
Just do some quick research on the outcome of fighting it and loosing yes ticket clinic will probably refund but not to long ago the law was if you pay no points. If you fight and loose in court points will go on driving record. I'm not sure if that's how it still is so just check. Cause 160 is better then points you will pay more in the Insurance after and as I said if its right on red meaning you didn't stop completely but slowed you are most definitely in clear as judges don't agree with it in Palm Beach county so it will be a win. If its going straight through intersection its getting more risky there especially since you can't go back and time the length of the yellow light.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhoffm80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc

Just do some quick research on the outcome of fighting it and loosing yes ticket clinic will probably refund but not to long ago the law was if you pay no points. If you fight and loose in court points will go on driving record. I'm not sure if that's how it still is so just check. Cause 160 is better then points you will pay more in the Insurance after and as I said if its right on red meaning you didn't stop completely but slowed you are most definitely in clear as judges don't agree with it in Palm Beach county so it will be a win. If its going straight through intersection its getting more risky there especially since you can't go back and time the length of the yellow light.
http://www.mypalmbeachclerk.com/red_light_camera_violations.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
sorry link I sent says no points no matter what but if a judge can prove guilt from the photo and video they can give you a $500 fine and $106 court costs that's a lot of money and they always have a picture and video footage and they are loosing money from the company monitoring the cams so just make sure you were doing right I'm not trying to scare you just letting you know the county is trying to make a profit but loosing so they will try to make a profit off of any they can prove beyond a doubt
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
zachar3
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

The trick is to just say you weren't driving the car. Unless the intersection had a camera with a clear view of the driver, they wouldn't be able to prove if it was you or your mother driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #16
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvacc View Post
Thanks for your advice. They charge $75 to fight it and offer money back guarantee if they can't get it dropped. Seems like a crap shoot.
It's not a crap shoot at all if the cameras are administered by the same company as the ones here in WA. I got the photo in the mail, thought briefly "I don't think so".

THEN I followed the link to the website where the video of the event lives... It was blatant. I mean I was done braking before I even got to the intersection. What in a photo looked odd, was crystal clear in the video, and there is already a sworn officers statement to go along with the video, so... Yeah screwed, paid my money and moved on, it doesn't qualify as a moving violation and is pretty much just a scumbag way for the city to generate funds.
      06-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Again, thanks for all the info, but to the guy from WA, there is a reason I posted this in the FL regional forum. Legal issues like this have nothing to do with across the board logic and everything to do with where you are and the specific players you are dealing with at the city/county level.

After reading this article I'm going to recommend he fight it. Ill let you know what his outcome is if he decides to. There will be no points either way and there is a strong argument based on recent caselaw that it shouldn't go on his driving record even if he fights and loses.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/red-light-cameras-score-a-legal-win-but-other-challenges-loom
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

I recently got a red light ticket. Went to court. and the judge literally dismissed all of the Right Turn citations. If it's a right turn, take it to court. Mine was automatically dismissed. This was in Miami Dade County
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
AsianRick
Arek Suroboyo
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 08 E60

A bit late on this but if you didn't pay the first citation ($158) by the due date, you'll get another citation which is an actual moving citation ($264) and that one you can take to court. You can't take a "notice of violation" to court ... you have to wait until an actual citation.

So is $158 notice of violation (no points, no record on your driving history) worth your time and aggravation?
Appreciate 0