F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A Driver's diary
GetBMWParts

05-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320D M-Sport

Exclamation A Driver's diary

It's 9:30pm and everyone else in the house is winding down ready for bed. Ordinarily you'd be doing the same but there's one thing preventing that from happening tonight; the new F30 M-Sport sitting on the drive.

'Oh I've forgotten to fill up with diesel and I've an early start tomorrow. I'd better go and do it now really' Wife gives a knowing glance to say 'do you think I was born yesterday?'

It's a little wet out after a rainy day. As you walk over to the car and unlock it, the light bounces back from the corona rings and illuminates the beads of water on the bonnet. The interior invites you in as the orange hue surrounds the controls in the cockpit. Where do I leave this key so that it doesn't rattle or end up under the seats?

Foot on brake: Start: Watch xenon beams flood the neighbour's wall with their icy glow as they auto-level: Auto Start/Stop deactivated: Sport Plus mode engaged: High beam assist activated: Anything else? oh, D for Drive: Squeeze off the drive and roll down the street. Hold and press DSC button to further reduce the computer's intervention in to your night drive.

Harmon Kardon poised and ready to rumble - the subs beneath your ass cheeks are fully loaded with gut-churning ammo; a stark contrast to the bright, ear splitting treble coming from the tweeters. Better turn that down a notch on the EQ! Glad I specified this, you think to yourself.

We're rolling now. Steering feels direct, connected; the throttle elasticated, like you're in control of a sling shot full of potential energy and the road is your target. But steady on boy, the oil temp is still low so restraint is still within you.

Shortcut number 8: Sports Displays selected. Hello hp. Hello lb/ft. A little stab on the throttle to make sure we're all connected and ready to engage everything we have at our disposal through the rear wheels. The dials dance across your field of vision. The boy racer in you is aroused and ready to perform.

The road signs are super-illuminated as the camera senses a car coming towards you. You see the void open in the beam and keep one eye on them waiting for the angry flash. It never comes. Wow. What a system. The beam spreads again and pitches forward, illuminating the glistening road ahead as your driver intuition tells you to watch the back end on such a slippery night.

Two pulls and you're in second gear, guns loaded and ready to fire. It's a sweeping left-hand bend and as you pin the throttle the rears scrabble for grip but manage to deploy 90% of power before you're reaching for third, fourth, smile, brakes, next roundabout, repeat, this time up through fifth, 100, sixth, seventh, better slow down, drop the anchors and you're seeing speed scrubbed faster than you put it on. Imagining the rotors glowing red as the nose dives ready for the junction.

First, spin, second, scrabble, dab of opposite, road straightens up, you're watching the needle sweep round to 4.5k before you tug on the paddle, the positive click engages the next cog and you can't imagine being in a manual ever again.

Big wet roundabout, 19" 403M's with Bridgestones must be a little warm: let's push it a little - third gear, holding it all the way, 4krpm, offside loaded with the car's weight, consciously monitoring the point between traction and slip. We must be close but you're at your own limit. Off at the exit, pull for fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, no point in eighth as I'm running out of road. Wonder if the M-Sport brakes would've been worth the extra?

Calm it down a bit now - you've had some fun. Pull back on the reins and slip it in comfort. Make it docile. Put on cruise. Watch the LED dance around the odometer like a firefly. Like a different car now. Is this a Seven Series? Thankfully not!

Here's your street. Reluctantly pull in, reverse on to the drive, close the gates (and lock them) whilst the lights illuminate your path. The heat coming off the wheels warms your leg as you stand there having a final look. Damn it, I've left the key in the cup holder again. As you reach in you notice a bottle of water in the side pocket. The child in you takes it out, you open it, and pour it on the disc. It fizzes and steams like a barbecue being extinguished. Hopefully the neighbours didn't see!

'Satisfied?' She asks. 'Absolutely!' You exclaim.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Haha, great stuff.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
pete18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Then you come..(.Satisfied she asked?. Absolutely ! You exclaim.) home.
Even good in a wet (dream) ride.
Love your car....drive a BMW 3

Pete
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Pnut
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be..320d xdrive msport

Brilliant stuff!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferdestarke View Post
Foot on brake: Start: Watch xenon beams flood the neighbour's wall with their icy glow as they auto-level: Auto Start/Stop deactivated: Sport Plus mode engaged: High beam assist activated: Anything else? oh, D for Drive: Squeeze off the drive and roll down the street. Hold and press DSC button to further reduce the computer's intervention in to your night drive.

'Satisfied?' She asks. 'Absolutely!' You exclaim.

Good diary, I think most of us have done that.

Just remember that holding DSC button to deactivate DSC then tames the whole driving dynamics, reins in the sport features. Sport + leaves you in sport mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good diary, I think most of us have done that.

Just remember that holding DSC button to deactivate DSC then tames the whole driving dynamics, reins in the sport features. Sport + leaves you in sport mode.

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete. I haven't taken delivery yet so this is from my knowledge of the car and my current e90.

Can you tell me a little more about sport plus and DSC please?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks Pete. I haven't taken delivery yet so this is from my knowledge of the car and my current e90.

Can you tell me a little more about sport plus and DSC please?
Obviously depending on the options fitted, the comfort and sports modes can be configured to your "how shall I drive today" mode. When you toggle to sport+ you activate DTC, (which incidentally you can do in comfort mode as well with the DSC/DTC button). DTC consists of modified thresholds for Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Driving Dynamics Control (FDR), which translates to a bit more freedom in the rear wheels, allowing a bit more slip and spin, DSC with its other sub systems still works in the background.

When we switch off DSC (which actually still leaves most sub systems on), does override our preferred settings. For example If I'm driving my F11 in sport or sport+ and push the DSC button (long push) to deactivate DSC, the car returns to normal mode. F30 users say exactly the same, returns to comfort mode. So for me that means chassis (suspension), steering, plus drivetrain (if configured in sport mode) including throttle all go back to normal mode. Nanny takes over.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for clarifying Pete.

So if I want to spin the rears at my own free will, I should just stay in comfort with DSC off fully? Or does it still interfere?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M Sport 420d

Quote:

Shortcut number 8: Sports Displays selected. Hello hp. Hello lb/ft.

I don't get this display.. should I ?
It was on the test car which was just a sport not the M sport..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
There's a traffic officer outside... says he wants to have a word

(and you still forgot to get any diesel)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc1962 View Post
I don't get this display.. should I ?
It was on the test car which was just a sport not the M sport..
Its a feature of having Pro Nav system
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

Is this your car sir? Boy racer, just turned 17...

The point was I didn't really need any diesel - just a white lie to wifey so I could excuse myself. Well, in my dream anyway.

Will all be a reality in around 8 weeks and I hope it is as stimulating in real life.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

"you didnt buckle up".....damn!!!(you exclaim)