F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > So, what problems have you had so far and how happy are you with your F30/F31?
Studio RSR

05-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

So, what problems have you had so far and how happy are you with your F30/F31?

I'll kick off.

On delivery, I had 3 faults: (1) a non functioning spare key fob, (2) baggy leather seats and (3) a badly aligned front passenger door.

The first and last were sorted easily, but the baggy leather was a nightmare to reslove due to BMW UK's intransigence and arrogance. In the end I had to pay for the fix myself. Eventually I got half the cost of the fix refunded by the Dealer but not by BMW UK who said there was nothing wrong with the leather. They refused to pay for the fix which cost £204. The seats are now perfect.

So far after 5 months, the car has not missed a beat. Love the Engine and Sports Gearbox, the HK, the DAB radio, the Adaptive Suspension, the Lumbar Support, the Visibility Pack, the Clever Door Mirrors, the superb ride and handling, the perfect paintwork, etc., etc.

Totally brilliant.

Last edited by F30AM; 05-29-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Did your BMW dealer fix the baggy leather or did you have to take it elsewhere ?

Mine was fine on delivery apart from the tray that covers the cup holders was missing, again easily sorted
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Eventually I got have the cost of the fix refunded.
Looks like your sig needs an update?

If the F31 can be included then mine needed some new part for the power tailgate as it wouldn't always fully engage. It was really annoying to start the car only to find a warning that the tailgate was open. Was fixed after a 2 week wait for a part.

There are also some unacceptable imperfections in the paintwork. I only noticed these when cleaning it today so that'll be another thing to bring up.

I had the issue of the iDrive showing an orange NO SIGNAL message on the second day of ownership, swiftly followed by a reboot. Hasn't happened again since then.

Still love the car though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Did your BMW dealer fix the baggy leather or did you have to take it elsewhere ?

Mine was fine on delivery apart from the tray that covers the cup holders was missing, again easily sorted
I took it to Auto Audio in Park Royal, London who fixed them perfectly in a couple of hours.
      05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Don't get me started on the orange peel paint, I try to pretend I can't see that
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
Mine needed some new part for the power tailgate as it wouldn't always fully engage. It was really annoying to start the car only to find a warning that the tailgate was open. Was fixed after a 2 week wait for a part.
What part was needed? Mine has the same problem, sometimes it closes fine, sometime it just doesn't latch. You can rattle the door, it's neither open or closed. Sometimes you shut the tailgate, get in the drivers seat, start the engine, then find the the tailgate not closed symbol on the dash have to get out open it then close it and try again. What a pain specially if it is raining.
      05-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Items that are BMW's fault.
  • Orange peel paint (but I expected that on a BMW).
  • Rusty seat bases. Outstanding.
  • Customer Service programme for faulty FEM. Replaced.
  • Customer Service programme for software update. Fixed, but has caused a Profiles problem.
  • Customer Service programme for boot area corrosion prevention. Outstanding.
  • Rear brake squeal. Dealer has attempted one fix and failed. Outstanding.
  • Clonking from o/side front suspension over bumps. Outstanding.
  • Sport Auto Gearbox (developed whine in reverse after 5K miles). Gearbox replaced at 12k miles, no whine now but has developed numerous new faults. Outstanding.
  • Car no longer remembers/loads profiles with key fob. Outstanding.
  • N/side mirror does not return to normal after dis-engaging reverse gear. Outstanding.
  • Traffic Situation feature on nav no longer works. Outstanding.
  • Car rolls 2-3 inches on handbrake application. Been told it's 'normal'.

Items which aren't BMW's fault include:
  • Three punctures since September 2012. Replaced.
  • Split front n/side wheel arch liner. Replaced.
  • Buckled n/side rear alloy. Replaced.

Something else that's irritating is that about 2-3 weeks after every puncture, I get one or two false alarms from the TPMS.

I must have owned twenty or more new vehicles over the years and apart from the horrendously unreliable French cars I owned in my youth, this car is turning out to be one of the worse ones. I still think the F30 328i is a great car... just not this particular one

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
What part was needed? Mine has the same problem, sometimes it closes fine, sometime it just doesn't latch. You can rattle the door, it's neither open or closed. Sometimes you shut the tailgate, get in the drivers seat, start the engine, then find the the tailgate not closed symbol on the dash have to get out open it then close it and try again. What a pain specially if it is raining.
I'm pretty sure they said it was a catch plate. It wouldn't happen, obviously, when I'd tried to demo it to the technician but he said he'd plug it in and see if there were any faults. Not long after they told me that a new part was needed. It hasn't happened in the last 3 weeks since they fitted it so it seems to have done the trick. The fact that they diagnosed it so quickly seemed to indicate that it was either obvious what caused it or it's a known problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

@RobUK: Oh my sweet lord. That's quite a list. You have the patience of a saint to put up with all that. I'd have rejected the car in a heartbeat.
      05-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M Sport 420d

So far and I do hope this is it.

noisey blower fan( Fixed today )
drivers door wind noise (Fixed today )
Still need to see how these will pan out over the comming weeks.

Had a puncture but thats par for the course.

Hated the loan car 316d SE, hope never to need 1 again.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

I have had mine now (F30) for 3 weeks and 3000 miles and absolutely love it and I have no faults whatsoever. I am missing a few features I had in my previous car though.

I'm not as lucky as some of you who can spec a new car. The company I work for has a policy of buying nearly new cars. I am given a budget and have to purchase whatever is available at the time. I ended up with a nearly new 320d sport (5 months old and only 855 miles) with the only options being 18" wheels and servotronic steering (I still don't know what it is).

I have come from a Titanium X Mondeo so am missing some of the standard features such as heated seats, folding door mirrors, heated windscreen and space around my feet.

I find it such a lovely car to drive with superb handling (well I have come from a Mondeo) and love throwing it into bends and roundabouts and it is so responsive when in sport mode and lots of fun in sport + mode especially in the wet so this more than makes up for the missing equipment.

The driving position has taken a little getting used to though. It has taken me 2 weeks to get comfortable with the seating and steering wheel position.

One of my favourite features is the way the orange marker rolls around the edge of the speedo to your current speed when you switch on the cruise control I know, simple things......
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Nothing with mine, other than I just can't get the foot operated boot release to work.

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
I'll kick off.

On delivery, I had 3 faults: (1) a non functioning spare key fob, (2) baggy leather seats and (3) a badly aligned front passenger door.

The first and last were sorted easily, but the baggy leather was a nightmare to reslove due to BMW UK's intransigence and arrogance. In the end I had to pay for the fix myself. Eventually I got half the cost of the fix refunded by the Dealer but not by BMW UK who said there was nothing wrong with the leather. They refused to pay for the fix which cost £204. The seats are now perfect.

So far after 5 months, the car has not missed a beat. Love the Engine and Sports Gearbox, the HK, the DAB radio, the Adaptive Suspension, the Lumbar Support, the Visibility Pack, the Clever Door Mirrors, the superb ride and handling, the perfect paintwork, etc., etc.

Totally brilliant.
Don't recall this being mentioned before - what do they do?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
FEM module replaced twice. Was replaced initially due to wipers not working properly in automatic mode. Then replaced a few days later as the indicator lights on the mirrors weren't working. Apart from that the car's been perfect.
2008 - 2012 E90 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #15
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

I swear my rear view mirror slowly drops down, i probably have to raise it a touch once a week. Only a minor fault admittedly, but very annoying nevertheless.

Other than that things ok, apart from scratching the roof using a bird poo removal wipe (you think you're doing the right thing...!). I can't blame BMW for that though!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #16
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
@RobUK: Oh my sweet lord. That's quite a list. You have the patience of a saint to put up with all that. I'd have rejected the car in a heartbeat.
Had these been happening early on then yes, me and BMW would have been having words. Trouble is the first six months or so were ok, the gearbox whine and lack of traffic info started around 5K, the rest in the last 2-3K so at 10 months in I'm stuck with it. Still, am hoping the next few visits will get stuff sorted... and I will ask what they can do to make my ownership experience nicer

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #17
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

No problems with mine - touch wood!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
I found this a couple of times. I thought it happened because i opened the door before letting the tailgate full latch and complete the closing process. I now let it complete the process before opening the door. It seems to sort. Should this be or not?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
I took it to Auto Audio in Park Royal, London who fixed them perfectly in a couple of hours.
How did they fix this? Very interesting!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
I swear my rear view mirror slowly drops down, i probably have to raise it a touch once a week. Only a minor fault admittedly, but very annoying nevertheless.

Other than that things ok, apart from scratching the roof using a bird poo removal wipe (you think you're doing the right thing...!). I can't blame BMW for that though!
My rear view mirror does the same - I thought it must be me going slightly mad but as it happens to you too it must be the mirror !

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
The driving position has taken a little getting used to though. It has taken me 2 weeks to get comfortable with the seating and steering wheel position............................
I thought it was only me, 8 weeks on and still getting there!
      05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Wow, lots of faults.

25,000 miles, May 2012 production F30 328i.....

FAULTLESS.

Well, the seat bases are just ever so slightly rusty but nothing compared to what I've seen on here.

I feel very lucky!!

Oh RobUK what a long long list

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0