M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
lolachampcar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535 with Software Only

Looking for help from the suspension experts

I've got a project and would like to pick the brains of guys/gals that really know the most recent years M5 rear suspension.

The project is my 2013 Tesla Model S. It's rear (and actually the front too) suspension looks a lot like a 2012 M5's rear suspension. Tesla uses the same type cast lower a-arm with outboard ball joint and inboard rubber bushings, upper (camber) link but with rubber bushings on both sides, torque link and toe link arrangement. There are subtle differences but a lot of similarity.

The Model S has a lot of bushing compliance. Tesla has recently announced a Performance Plus package that changes some, if not all, of the rear suspension bushings to address this issue. I strongly suspect that Tesla did not re-invent the whole bushing world and that some BMW product may be useful in solving my Tesla problem.

The first question I have for those that really know BMW rear suspension is what rear bushings are different between a standard Five Series and an M5? Of particular interest to me are the rubber isolation bushings that are also used as bearings to allow for angular rotation. This is my fist exposure to using the rubber annulus between and inner and outer sleeve to take up angular movement (normally done by a bearing or ball type joint). Apparently there is a lot of engineering in these bushings and a wide difference in stiffness (durometer).

Assuming the M5 bushings are special (or not), does anyone know the dimensions of the lower A-arm bushings and any of the rubber bushings used in the upper and toe links?

I tried having this conversation with Turner Motorsports and had no success making past the guy on the order desk. I really need to find resources that know the cars backwards and forwards. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you're in the South Florida area and are curious I'd be happy to take you for a ride. These things are bad a** golf carts!

Thanks,
Bill
Appreciate 0