E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Projector Lens Retrofit

05-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Hally_89
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2007 320D M Sport

Projector Lens Retrofit

Hi lads.

Has anyone had any experience with fitting or having these fitted?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=25797

I've just purchased a set of Lci Halogen headlights and am considering doing a few mods before fitting to the car. My previous car had projector lens and always liked the look of them. Only thing is I will have to remove the headlight lens (which I'm prepared to do) in order to fit them but just wanted others opinions on them.

Thanks
Brian
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

I've done this. I used FX-R projectors.

What you linked isn't a projector, it's a shroud.

I would recommend against FX-R projectors because there is major modification of the headlight housing. If I were you, just get Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with e46R shrouds. All plug and play.

Also, go to luceprodukt.com to get some angel eyes. The lci halogen angel eye sucks even with the best LED bulbs in it.

Lens cannot be removed by baking; you have two choices:

1. Heat gun + prying tools
This will take about 4 hours each headlight according to lightwerkz

2. Cutting with a dremel / oscillating tool
This will probably take 20 minutes a headlight and is what I did. My tips on this method is to: cut at the lowest speed and do not stay at the same spot for too long otherwise you will melt the plastic. Don't apply pressure while cutting, let the spinning/oscillating blade do the work.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Hally_89
Ireland
Rep

Whoops wrong link sorry ha. Ya I was looking at the Morimoto Mini a few days ago http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3181 and thought they looked pretty straight forward as regards fitting goes. Ill properly go the heat gun option as I'm not in any rush getting the conversion done.

Just another thing with regards fitting. From what I make out they pretty much sit in the the bulb holder, so my question is how do they work in conjunction with the electrical adjuster?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

There is no electrical adjusters in halogens. There are two screws that fit an allen key that adjust the housing left/right and up/down. It'll be just like aiming regular halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
Hally_89
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominators
There is no electrical adjusters in halogens. There are two screws that fit an allen key that adjust the housing left/right and up/down. It'll be just like aiming regular halogen lights.
You sure about that? When starting the car my lights dip to the ground and come back up again. And the dipped headlight wheel beside the lighting switch brings the lights up and down to suit. I thought it was the electrical adjuster that was doing that no?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominators View Post
I've done this. I used FX-R projectors.

What you linked isn't a projector, it's a shroud.

I would recommend against FX-R projectors because there is major modification of the headlight housing. If I were you, just get Morimoto Mini H1 projectors with e46R shrouds. All plug and play.

Also, go to luceprodukt.com to get some angel eyes. The lci halogen angel eye sucks even with the best LED bulbs in it.

Lens cannot be removed by baking; you have two choices:

1. Heat gun + prying tools
This will take about 4 hours each headlight according to lightwerkz

2. Cutting with a dremel / oscillating tool
This will probably take 20 minutes a headlight and is what I did. My tips on this method is to: cut at the lowest speed and do not stay at the same spot for too long otherwise you will melt the plastic. Don't apply pressure while cutting, let the spinning/oscillating blade do the work.
We've got the angel eyes as well, for half the cost, same product.

http://shop.lightwerkz.net/LED-Angel-Eye-Rings

We do use an oven to heat up the headlights, just like normal.

Heat gun wont get you anywhere but in trouble with this type of light. You definitely want to bake it for about 30 mins at a time, we set the oven at 235F. I would say be prepared to spend nearly 4-8 hours total sepertaing the two halves of the light, scraping the sealant out of the channel and off the lens, and then replacing the sealant with butyl, preferably the Koito!

http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Koito-Butyl-Rubber-Sealer

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally_89 View Post
Hi lads.

Has anyone had any experience with fitting or having these fitted?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=25797

I've just purchased a set of Lci Halogen headlights and am considering doing a few mods before fitting to the car. My previous car had projector lens and always liked the look of them. Only thing is I will have to remove the headlight lens (which I'm prepared to do) in order to fit them but just wanted others opinions on them.

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian

Check out some photos of this conversion

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2013/...talled-photos/

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2013/...ed-angel-eyes/

We used the FXR projectors. If you have any questions, please ask!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Hally_89
Ireland
Rep

Thanks for the info LightWorkz. Ill properly go with the Morimoto mini H1 just in case I ever decide to revert the headlights back to there original state. With regards to the projectors themselves, how easy is it to change out a bulb if it did decide to give up?
Also for opening the headlights. When you refer to baking them to get them open, can this be done in a regular kitchen oven if the headlights fit?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

The bulb change should be easy since the back of the projector body will stick out where the normal halogen bulb holder goes. That's the beauty of using the Mini's. You can definitely bake the lights in a regular oven. That's what most people do. It can smell a little weird since you're heating up plastic, but unless you melt the headlights somehow, you won't damage the oven.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
nomis_nehc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Hi Brian

Check out some photos of this conversion

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2013/...talled-photos/

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2013/...ed-angel-eyes/

We used the FXR projectors. If you have any questions, please ask!
That is magnificent work.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
LightWerkz
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally_89 View Post
Thanks for the info LightWorkz. Ill properly go with the Morimoto mini H1 just in case I ever decide to revert the headlights back to there original state. With regards to the projectors themselves, how easy is it to change out a bulb if it did decide to give up?
Also for opening the headlights. When you refer to baking them to get them open, can this be done in a regular kitchen oven if the headlights fit?
Technically you'll be able to go back to stock, but why would you ever want too

Bulb change is as easy as stock light. Pop the cap open and remove and replace the bulb.

Yes regular kitchen oven, thats all we use

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
The bulb change should be easy since the back of the projector body will stick out where the normal halogen bulb holder goes. That's the beauty of using the Mini's. You can definitely bake the lights in a regular oven. That's what most people do. It can smell a little weird since you're heating up plastic, but unless you melt the headlights somehow, you won't damage the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis_nehc View Post
That is magnificent work.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Hally_89
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Technically you'll be able to go back to stock, but why would you ever want too

Bulb change is as easy as stock light. Pop the cap open and remove and replace the bulb.

Yes regular kitchen oven, thats all we use

Thanks!
Cool sounds good to me. Hardest part will be getting off the lens and then im away for slates. hopefully the girlfriend wont mind me using the oven ha . Cheers for the help lads. ill come back to this thread if i need anymore help with the fitment.
Appreciate 0