E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Headlight Bulb issues..any thoughts ??

05-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Kuch335
2007 335i E92
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 TiAg, 2011 X3 35i

Headlight Bulb issues..any thoughts ??

So I had 6k D1S bulbs installed for a while.. The driver side went out the other day so I just put the stock bulbs back in (PITA) .. But now i turned the headlights on and get a headlight warning light (Not the adaptive warning light) about 20sec after turning on.. All bulbs are lit and working.. Then I turn off the headlights and when I turn them back on again, the Drivers side flashes for a sec then turns off.. Passenger side stays on..

If I turn off the car, go into pre start mode and turn the headlights back on they come on.. start the car, they stay on.. 20 sec or so.. warning light again ..

I'm assuming whatever is wrong is what blew the 6k bulb.. cheapo's so its a no wonder..

Any ideas?

I have the bavarian but not sure where to look for headlight codes. and their messages are about as useful as windows error messages Its also built on Explorer and Explorer keeps caching the pages so even after clearing everything it still shows the codes.. what a PITA.. I assume the JB4 won't report headlight codes..

Thanks!
2007 335i E92 AT - MHD E85 Flash, xHP Stage 3 , MR5 Intake, VRSF DPs, VRSF 7in FMIC, ER CP, Fuel-It Stage 1, RB PCV, UUC Corsa Exhaust, BL R8 Coils, Sachs SRE Coilovers, M3 Control Arms, H&R Sway, BA Diff Lock, MDF Scoops, Tint, CF Hood, Mini Battery :: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i - MHD Stage 1, Alum Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

BMW uses a shunt system to measure the resistance of the lights all around. The HID that is flickering or coming on and off is either bad or the ballast that is driving them is. Once the shunt is tripped it will usually not correct itself since this is a physical shunt.
Have you tried to switch the bulbs and see if the problem still tracks. If the problem stays with the side that is not working correctly it is most likely the ballast is toast. You can check around salvage shops and see if you can get a serviceable one.
New ones are very expensive.
My best guess after installing countless HID systems. BMW uses the most overly complex system out there. Unless something has changed in their design the shunt gets very finicky about anything but a stock bulb and once tripped will most likely stay tripped...
Appreciate 0