F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Replacement auto box - didn't think it would last
ARMA SPEED

05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Replacement auto box - didn't think it would last

On the recommendation of BMW UK, my dealer replaced my Sport Auto box a few weeks back because of a whine in reverse.

On the plus side, the whine in reverse has completely gone. On the minus side, a few issues are developing.

1. (Repeatable) Put the car in Sport mode, push the level over to 'manual' and use the paddle shifters to get the car in M7 at about 1650rpm. Now, press the throttle and the car stutters, almost like power is being intermittently cut. Doesn't do it in any other gear, and in full auto (any gear) there's no sign of stuttering, but in M7 it always does it.

2. (Intermittent) At slow speeds, e.g. traffic at 10-15mph the car lurches forward or over-revs like it has no idea what gear to be in.

3. (Intermittent) Slowly come to a halt, take foot off brake as if to move away but without immediately hitting the gas, car inches forward then 'bounces back' and stops before starting off again.

4. (Intermittent) On several occasions when I've stopped and the ASS has kicked in the car has popped itself out of gear and then puts up a warning saying I need to be in gear to drive off??

5. (Intermittent) Much more noticeable gear changes in full auto. Previous box was smooth as silk.

Car has got to go back, but am wondering if this sounds like a software fault or something more sinister that the dealer got wrong when replacing the box??

Still love the 328i but I am starting to go off this particular example of one.

PS - Still need to get them to do my rusty seat bases, also haven't had this boot anti-corrosion thing done that others have mentioned.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Mmmm, my car has a very faint whine at low speed when reversing - wouldnt have noticed it if you had mentioned it so ill see how I get on, its been there since day one and im not counting it as a problem yet. Im even more reluctant to mess with it after hearing this, hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0