2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Mirror Cover DIY??

05-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Mirror Cover DIY??

I searched all DIY pages, does anyone have a DIY for removal of mirror covers on driver and passenger side? I just ordered some CF ones form Tischer. Thanks.
      05-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump....anybody? Buehler?
      05-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found one, here is a link

Here:

Quote:
As I ordered my X Line Pro Kit, I wanted the mirrors to match the gray color of the X Line Pro Kit, so I went ahead and replaced them.. As I did not find anything updated on the F-Series Mirrors I'm writing this DIY

Disclaimer: This is for instructional purposes only, so if you do this, it's at your own risk. I'm not to be held responsible for any damage you make to your car

Parts needed:
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • T-20 Torx
  1. Adjust/Move the mirror as near to the window as possible. You must move the mirror to the part where the gap between itself and the housing it's the most separate, so you can get your fingers between the 2 of them.
  2. Remove the mirror. Put your fingers the nearest to the mirror center as possible (from behind) and applying some brute force pull it out. It will come out.
    Important: Be sure that you are pulling from the center of the mirror and not from the corners, as that is where it's the most reinforced and it's where it's supposed to be pulled from

3. Unplug the heating/dimming harness so you can free the mirror and put it on a soft surface to prevent scratching
  4. (Optional) Unscrew the 4 T-20 Screws that holds the black housing on it's place. I found that this helps to move the whole piece and it's easier to get the cover out this way
  5. Using the Phillips Screwdriver you can open the clips so the mirror cover loosens up. In the picture below you can see the 4 white clips that holds the cover on it's place. You have to separate them and pull outwards at the same time.
  6. From the outside to the inside start separating the mirror cover (white part) from the mirror housing (black part)

7. Remove the Mirror cover completely. You will see something like this
  8. Reverse the process from the inside to the outside and push until you hear the clicking from all the clips.
    Note: Important Note: Be sure that all of the top clips/marks are below the black mirror housing -- See picture to locate them
  9. Work done!