E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > how many miles before it is safe to mod ??

09-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

how many miles before it is safe to mod ??

i am expecting my e93 in about 6 weeks.
i bought it from the only BMW dealer in quito, and their warantee is basically:if u do any mod to the car, the entire warantee is void. it probably does not matter if i put in an intercooler and the suspension goes.

they do not care, and it would be imposiible to fight in this country.

although my e93 is a 2008, i still worry about the fuel pump.
does anyone know for sure if the 2008s all have the new bosch pump?
Also, does anyone know - if the fuel pump does go - is it usually within say 5,000 miles or so? the answer to this will affect what mods i do and when.

also i do not know if my e93 steptronic, non sport (roads here can b terrible) will have the additional oil cooler inside the passenger front wheel well?

knowing what they charge here for parts and labor - if i do not have the additional oil cooler one - i would be very tempted to get one the next time i am in NY and add it on myself.
has anyone done it themselves? is it difficult??
again, alot of these desicions ride on how long a car can go (if it has a defective fuel pump) before the FP dies.

even adding an additional oil cooler can theoretically present a warantee problem here.
who know, if i do it well, maybe they may not even notice.

thanks in advance

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

In that case, 4 years or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first...
      09-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
In that case, 4 years or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first...
in eciuador, the warantee is basically 2 years or 24,000 miles.

note that i am wiling to take a calculated risk,

but the big unkown for me is those damn fuel pumps.

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

335i's are "mod-able" at 1 mile or when $$ is available, whichever comes first...

Kidding aside, why are you worried about the fuel pump? You're getting a brand new car, and still within warranty period. If the pump goes to the shitter, then BMW should replace it for free. Yeah, it's a big inconvenience, but they should replace it without question.

And from what I've been observing on this forum, the HPFP fails at random mileage, anywhere from 300 miles to 8K miles, from early 06 to Sep 07 productions, so it's hard to pinpoint at certain mileage where the pump will fail. Of course there are plenty of theories and speculations about the causes of these failures of which no scientific proof were found to substantiate.

Conclusion: enjoy your ride when it gets there. That's what an ultimate "driving" machine supposed to do.

Cheers!

I thought all 335's now come with the add'l cooler!?
      09-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
335i's are "mod-able" at 1 mile or when $$ is available, whichever comes first...

Kidding aside, why are you worried about the fuel pump? You're getting a brand new car, and still within warranty period. If the pump goes to the shitter, then BMW should replace it for free.

And from what I've been observing on this forum, the HPFP fails at random mileage, anywhere from 300 miles to 8K miles, from early 06 to Sep 07 productions, so it's hard to pinpoint at certain mileage where the pump will fail.

I thought all 335's now come with the add'l cooler!?
if i do any mod, it can bascially void the entire "mechanical" warantee i am given here in ecuador. that's why it is a risk to do ANY mod before my 2 yr warantee is up.

1/ if a bad fuel pump can "last" as long as 8,000 miles, then i may have to wait till about 10,000 miles before i do any mods.

2/ i do not know if all 335s now come with the additional oil cooler. like i said, i have a non sport steptronic.

the good news is only about 50 more days before my 335 cabrio !!

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
Kidding aside, why are you worried about the fuel pump? You're getting a brand new car, and still within warranty period. If the pump goes to the shitter, then BMW should replace it for free. Yeah, it's a big inconvenience, but they should replace it without question.
Key word in your post is "should". But the OP already stated that the "warantee is basically:if u do any mod to the car, the entire warantee is void."
With that in mind, I would try to get some better clarification on what that really means. Such as: if I swap out the taillights for Blacklines is this considered a mod in the eyes of the Quito BMW dealership and would a possible future HPFP failure not be covered? I think that is why he's worrying. Hell, I would too!
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

OK, I obviously cannot speak for the place you're from for I'm in the States, and I'm sure different country or region has different set of rules for warranty. Here in the US, basic mods cannot void a warranty, i.e. if you replace some light, and your engine stops functioning, they can't say that your light bulbs failed the enigne, unless they can prove it. On the other hand, if you "Procede" or mod your fuel system after market and your engine fails, then they maybe able to prove that the mod was the cause, then your warranty maybe voided. I think you get the idea. So do a little research when you mod your car. There's plenty of info here on this forum. Use the Search button. I did that and also asked around before I modded my car. People here have a wealth of info, and they're more than likely to help out. Well, most of the time anyway...
      09-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
DaveStinsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Tiburon

I would check with BMW. It shouldn't be the call of the dealer but BMW's call about what will void your warranty. If your mod doesn't have any effect on the problem it shouldn't affect your warranty coverage.
Good Luck
I've got my trunk spoiler, headlight eyebrows, and alum pedals ready to go when I get my car at PDC on 11/26.
2008 Montego Blue Sedan- Black leather with alum. trim, Step, Active Steering, Paddles, Comfort Access, Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Nav, HD Radio, IPod & USB adapter, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Key word in your post is "should". But the OP already stated that the "warantee is basically:if u do any mod to the car, the entire warantee is void."

With that in mind, I would try to get some better clarification on what that really means. Such as: if I swap out the taillights for Blacklines is this considered a mod in the eyes of the Quito BMW dealership and would a possible future HPFP failure not be covered? I think that is why he's worrying. Hell, I would too!
i will see dealer and try to get clariification of warantee.

i do not worry so much about 'cosmetic" types of mods... they should not affect my warantee.

but i want to do some other mods, so the 2 primary questions i have now are:

1/ does anyone know for sure if the 2008s all have the new bosch pump?
Also, does anyone know - if the fuel pump does go - is it usually within say 5,000 miles or so?

2/ will my 2008 e93 steptronic, non sport (roads here can b terrible) have the additional oil cooler inside the passenger front wheel well?

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
in eciuador, the warantee is basically 2 years or 24,000 miles.

note that i am wiling to take a calculated risk,

but the big unkown for me is those damn fuel pumps.

If you are really worried, ask your BMW dealer which mods are acceptable and have them sign-off on the mods.
      09-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
If you are really worried, ask your BMW dealer which mods are acceptable and have them sign-off on the mods.
thanks, good suggestion and worth a try.

my first mod would be an upgraded intercooler - which should make the car run better - if not faster. this is especially true at 7,000 feet above sea level where i am.

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
i am expecting my e93 in about 6 weeks.
i bought it from the only BMW dealer in quito, and their warantee is basically:if u do any mod to the car, the entire warantee is void. it probably does not matter if i put in an intercooler and the suspension goes.

they do not care, and it would be imposiible to fight in this country.

although my e93 is a 2008, i still worry about the fuel pump.
does anyone know for sure if the 2008s all have the new bosch pump?
Also, does anyone know - if the fuel pump does go - is it usually within say 5,000 miles or so? the answer to this will affect what mods i do and when.

also i do not know if my e93 steptronic, non sport (roads here can b terrible) will have the additional oil cooler inside the passenger front wheel well?

knowing what they charge here for parts and labor - if i do not have the additional oil cooler one - i would be very tempted to get one the next time i am in NY and add it on myself.
has anyone done it themselves? is it difficult??
again, alot of these desicions ride on how long a car can go (if it has a defective fuel pump) before the FP dies.

even adding an additional oil cooler can theoretically present a warantee problem here.
who know, if i do it well, maybe they may not even notice.

thanks in advance

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired

I believe all e93 335's come with the oil cooler...please someone correct me if I am wrong...If you do not get one do not pay for it to be installed or do it yourself....Bitch to BMW and have them do it for free...thats how this guy got his.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
I believe all e93 335's come with the oil cooler...please someone correct me if I am wrong...If you do not get one do not pay for it to be installed or do it yourself....Bitch to BMW and have them do it for free...thats how this guy got his.
i am getting an e93 non sport, with steptronic. is that the same setup u have?

you bugged your dealer, and got the free retrofit?
is that because your car was running hot? or was it because u have the sports package which should have INCLUDED the extra oil cooler inside the pass fender?

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

Quote:
i am getting an e93 non sport, with steptronic. is that the same setup u have?

you bugged your dealer, and got the free retrofit?
is that because your car was running hot? or was it because u have the sports package which should have INCLUDED the extra oil cooler inside the pass fender?
I believe that you *only* get the oil cooler if you get the sports package. The big hoopla over the oil cooler was that the e90 with Step and sport did not have the oil cooler installed pre March 07. The coupe with step and sport did have the oil cooler. After March 07 all e90's with step and sport started getting the oil cooler. A lot of people started complaining to BMW North America (NA) about not having the oil cooler and their cars getting to hot and going into limp mode. BMW NA then issued a retrofit on a case by case basis for people who had Step & Sport. Not sure I heard of anyone getting one that did not have the sports package but I could be wrong.

This has to come from BMW not your dealer. The dealer is not going to retrofit an oil cooler for free. In the US this has to come from BMW NA. Once you have the approval then the dealer can do the retrofit and get paid by BMW NA.
      09-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
retlod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I wouldn't buy from that dealer...they sound like they're FOS.
35% Tint | Golf Tee
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #16
e90jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 320d

Welcome to developing world dealers :-). I had a similar challenge in Jamaica. Wanted to add an ECU upgrade unit to my 320d. HAd hell, they refused to do it, and leave the warranty in place. I had the supplier in England check with Germany, no issues. However, the dealer still refused and gave me some BS about it.

I had another BMW service centre install it, confident that if another warranty issue arose, it would have to be dealt with! Of course, said nothing to the dealer. My decision was easier though Midlife, because i only had 9 months left on the warranty. The advice I received from my supplier in the UK was that you are entitled to do any after market upgrade to your vehicle, and not void your warranty. If an issue arises, obviously BMW would have the right to determine if the upgrade/mod caused it, and refuse to honour the warranty. I would run the car in, and then consider the mods. Try to contact BMW directly or the manufacturer of your parts regarding the mods.
      09-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90jamaica View Post
Welcome to developing world dealers :-). I had a similar challenge in Jamaica. Wanted to add an ECU upgrade unit to my 320d. HAd hell, they refused to do it, and leave the warranty in place. I had the supplier in England check with Germany, no issues. However, the dealer still refused and gave me some BS about it.

I had another BMW service centre install it, confident that if another warranty issue arose, it would have to be dealt with! Of course, said nothing to the dealer. My decision was easier though Midlife, because i only had 9 months left on the warranty. The advice I received from my supplier in the UK was that you are entitled to do any after market upgrade to your vehicle, and not void your warranty. If an issue arises, obviously BMW would have the right to determine if the upgrade/mod caused it, and refuse to honour the warranty. I would run the car in, and then consider the mods. Try to contact BMW directly or the manufacturer of your parts regarding the mods.

thanks for your reply.... you got me thinking now.

’95 540i retired
’94 M3 retired
’81 911 Carerra retired
Appreciate 0