E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service Engine Soon light on, then went off

05-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
bimmerben335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan Space grey

Service Engine Soon light on, then went off

For the past few weeks ive noticed in lower rpms if I get on the gas on the highway it "jerks" kinda like shuttering. Well today I really got on the gas to pass a car in 4th running about 60 and it was jerking horribly then I got a SES light and I could not get on the gas without it sounding and feeling like I was in a aggressive massage chair. It was horrible. No matter what gear I was in. I down shifted and still shuttering and shaking. I almost felt like it was the transmission. Well about 2 min of just cruising without really getting on the gas the light goes away. Everythings fine and it clears up....drove the rest of the night with no problems. Anyone have a clue what it was or is? Bad gas? But its been for the past few weeks....just not this bad and I fill up every Friday. Kinda clueless here.

2007 BMW 335i 60,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
BuellsterR1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

This can be described as a misfire.

I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a bad fuel injector. The first episode was exactly as you described, sputtering, SES light on, then off. The second time around, it triggered the SES light to stay on but the car acted normal and drove fine. The dealership ended up replacing all 6 injectors under warranty.

Misfires are mostly related to either spark plugs, ignition coils, or fuel injectors. A thorough diagnosis should be able to tell your where the problem lies.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

After a few restarts, some codes won't light the "Check Engine" light. However, the codes are apparently saved.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
After a few restarts, some codes won't light the "Check Engine" light. However, the code(s) are apparently saved.
+1 Start your research by seeing which codes were thrown then take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

I had a not so similar introduction to the SES light. I was sitting in some parking lot traffic and got the code. I put the car in gear and let off the clutch and the car didn't move. Shut the car off the. On again and all was normal. The light went out and has t returned since. Need to pull codes and see what surprise I haven store. Anyone with a reader in queens ny area?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
I had a not so similar introduction to the SES light. I was sitting in some parking lot traffic and got the code. I put the car in gear and let off the clutch and the car didn't move. Shut the car off the. On again and all was normal. The light went out and has t returned since. Need to pull codes and see what surprise I haven store. Anyone with a reader in queens ny area?
If don't find luck on here you could try an Advanced Auto. They'll pull your codes for free. Did this a month or so ago when threw codes.

Talk with them first though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
bimmerben335i
Private First Class
Rep

If it is a injector, which im 99% sure it is, I'm covered under warranty, the only problem is my dealer has a 2 week waiting list, and I have nothing to drive until then. I live and work in a different city as relatives. How long can I wait until I HAVE to do this? Until I can find alternate transportation.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This happened to me 3 yrs. ago and it was the VANOS intake solenoid.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
BuellsterR1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerben335i View Post
If it is a injector, which im 99% sure it is, I'm covered under warranty, the only problem is my dealer has a 2 week waiting list, and I have nothing to drive until then. I live and work in a different city as relatives. How long can I wait until I HAVE to do this? Until I can find alternate transportation.
If the car drives normal, I wouldn't make it a priority even with the SES light on. It's only when the car is in the act of shuddering and obviously misfiring when there is damage going on, particularly to your catalytic converters. This does not mean you shouldn't address the issue, it simply means you should be okay until your appointment unless the fault reappears and is constant.

The second issue I see is having to prove it to BMW in order to warrant warranty work. If the SES light is not on while servicing, it might be hard to convinence them there was a problem in the first place. Even with stored codes, it still might be far fetched and written off as an intermittent event that has no cause for concern. If this is the case, the better option in my opinion would be best to drive the car for the time being to somewhat drive to fault to reappear and set a consistent SES light.

The third issue is dependant on your warranty. Is it a manufacturers warranty which should cover everything, a CPO warranty which is limited, or a third party warranty? If the fault is traced back to the spark plugs, the bill is coming out of your pocket along with the diagnosis fee if your under CPO. Ignition coils and fuel injectors are covered. I can't comment on the third party warranty but the manufacturers warranty should be good.

Keep us posted..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
bimmerben335i
Private First Class
Rep

It hasn't happened since then. About 3 days ago so its not a consistent issue. I have a GM warranty....its a major guard which is the most advanced warranty covering most everything. I bought the car from a Cadillac dealer
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerben335i
For the past few weeks ive noticed in lower rpms if I get on the gas on the highway it "jerks" kinda like shuttering. Well today I really got on the gas to pass a car in 4th running about 60 and it was jerking horribly then I got a SES light and I could not get on the gas without it sounding and feeling like I was in a aggressive massage chair. It was horrible. No matter what gear I was in. I down shifted and still shuttering and shaking. I almost felt like it was the transmission. Well about 2 min of just cruising without really getting on the gas the light goes away. Everythings fine and it clears up....drove the rest of the night with no problems. Anyone have a clue what it was or is? Bad gas? But its been for the past few weeks....just not this bad and I fill up every Friday. Kinda clueless here.

2007 BMW 335i 60,000 miles
100% carbon build up. Had exactly the same issue.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
bimmerben335i
Private First Class
Rep

Injector recall? Is there a such thing? Just looking into this. It happened again so I need to bite the bullet and thumb a ride everywhere lol
Appreciate 0