M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M

Post Custom One-Off Manifolds - SR-Racing

This is a one-off Exhaust Manifold made for M5 SR-R Project

This was sent to me a few hours ago by the guys @ SR-Racing... Sorry for not posting a clear pic

Name:  MANIFOLD.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  190.0 KB

Stock on the left (grey)

Manufacturer: TripleDz Motorsport
      05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

So what exactly do those things do? I mean either sound wise or performance wise?

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Can you post close up shots of the welds? They look very questionable based on what I could see.

Alan
      05-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So what exactly do those things do? I mean either sound wise or performance wise?
Performance wise i guess, i dont have any details i just got the pics and posted them
      05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Can you post close up shots of the welds? They look very questionable based on what I could see.

Alan
Ill try to get more pics. but they're good as of what i heard
      05-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Those r some ugly azz welds.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

What are those accordian looking things also?

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Those r some ugly azz welds.
Its about the power not the welds, im not going to lay on bed with those LOL
Plus, those are perfectly welded, go and show any professional Manifold manufacturer and tell us what he thinks. Those are hand tig welds that are great! We were waiting for other tuners to come out with manifolds, but nobody made any. TripleDz are the first to to do Manifolds for SR-R.

Noobs dont know how perfectly welded manifolds look like

Last edited by GhanemMBN; 05-16-2013 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: mi
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
What are those accordian looking things also?
What accordian looking things?
      05-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhanemMBN View Post
What accordian looking things?
Oh sorry nevermind. I was confused by the picture. I see which ones are stock and which ones are the aftermarket. Looks like the ones on the right have a bigger diameter piping.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

Noobs dont know how perfectly welded manifolds look like
Apparently you must be a noob then.

This is what legit welds looks like.

I don't doubt they make power and as long as the welds don't leak you are fine but still doesn't change the fact that the welds look like crap
      05-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Oh sorry nevermind. I was confused by the picture. I see which ones are stock and which ones are the aftermarket. Looks like the ones on the right have a bigger diameter piping.
Yes they are, of what i heard from the guys in SR-Racing, they will install those set of manifolds on their R&D M5 engine using a superflow engine dyno at TripleDz before they install it on the project car's engine.
      05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:

I don't doubt they make power and as long as the welds don't leak you are fine but still doesn't change the fact that the welds look like crap
Name:  WELDS.png
Views: 1528
Size:  225.5 KB

Those are perfect welds + SR-R want something fast and reliable not a barbie car.
      05-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:

Ditto on the welds. The guys in my fabrication shop can show you some nice tig welds.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Disregarding the welds, those manifolds look like they are going to increase flow quite a bit

Larger diameter and more smooth bends should help exhaust flow quite a bit. As long as the welds are strong enough thats what matters, after all the exhaust manifolds are not visible at all on this engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Larger diameter and more smooth bends should help exhaust flow quite a bit. As long as the welds are strong enough thats what matters, after all the exhaust manifolds are not visible at all on this engine.
I'm not sure what the bellows function is on the stock exhaust tubes, but my guess would be to minimize expansion and contraction forces on the connected mounting surfaces. For a race car perhaps not as important, but for everyday use with many heating and cooling cycles, the solid tubes might pose a problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Well, If you think they are perfectly welded......yes, it's about the power I agree.....I think I know what perfect welds look like expecially since our fab does this all day everyday. Tig, stick or whatever so no noob here especially since I weld also. Come on man, you got to admit they are ugly..I wasn't trying to be mean here and I'm not taking anything away from the product. I just know those welds could have looked tons better.

Best wishes.

Quote:
Its about the power not the welds plus, those are perfectly welded, go and show any professional Manifold manufacturer and tell us what he thinks. Those are hand tig welds that are great! Noobs dont know how perfectly welded manifolds look like

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

How much went into the design spec on these? I.e., diameter of the pipe vs. the length, engine speeds and turbo specifications? I am assuming that the manufacturer designed, tested, and refined these using CFD...LOL. The cross-bank manifold design of the S63tu is critical to the engine performance.

Good luck with those. I'll keep my "Barbie" stock exhaust manifolds, designed and manufactured by the good folks at Boysen.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
How much went into the design spec on these? I.e., diameter of the pipe vs. the length, engine speeds and turbo specifications? I am assuming that the manufacturer designed, tested, and refined these using CFD...LOL. The cross-bank manifold design of the S63tu is critical to the engine performance.

Good luck with those. I'll keep my "Barbie" stock exhaust manifolds, designed and manufactured by the good folks at Boysen.
+69

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #20
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, aftermarket manifolds have some drawbacks that don't come with the stock manifolds. NVH, durability etc will probably suffer. But if you want more power, stock manifolds are often one of the restrictions that has to be modified to go over a certain limit.

Remember that the stock manifolds are not designed just for maximum power, but also to keep exhaust gas speed at an optimum even at lower revs to decrease lag. To accomplish this the tube diameter and design is a deciding factor.

On my second car (Sierra Cosworth) the factory had two exhaust manifold designs. The first one was for homologation purposes and is good for around 500hp, the later design which reduces lag significantly is only godd for around 400hp. But if you want to go beyond 500hp, you will have to go for an aftermarket tubular design to get enough exhaust flow.

Since the stock manifolds on the M5 is good for over 700hp (MHR) it would only be relevant to change the manifolds if you want to do an extreme M5 approaching 8-900hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post

Hahahaha nice one! As i said those haven't been installed yet, they will be installed on the R&D engine which SR-Racing is using for R&D. It will be tested on engine dyno and if it was good they will ceramic coat it then install it on the project car.
      05-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Yes, aftermarket manifolds have some drawbacks that don't come with the stock manifolds. NVH, durability etc will probably suffer. But if you want more power, stock manifolds are often one of the restrictions that has to be modified to go over a certain limit.

Remember that the stock manifolds are not designed just for maximum power, but also to keep exhaust gas speed at an optimum even at lower revs to decrease lag. To accomplish this the tube diameter and design is a deciding factor.

On my second car (Sierra Cosworth) the factory had two exhaust manifold designs. The first one was for homologation purposes and is good for around 500hp, the later design which reduces lag significantly is only godd for around 400hp. But if you want to go beyond 500hp, you will have to go for an aftermarket tubular design to get enough exhaust flow.

Since the stock manifolds on the M5 is good for over 700hp (MHR) it would only be relevant to change the manifolds if you want to do an extreme M5 approaching 8-900hp.
True, actually of what I've heard, the stock manifolds has something to do with fuel economy, which i think decreases the power. + those manifolds are wider and they were made for more airflow and something to do with the spooling.

Ill keep you guys updated anyway.

One more thing regarding the Turbo Upgrade, unfortunately the guys that upgraded the turbos didnt do a really good job.. So the guys at SR-R sent the turbos to another manufacturer... just an upgrade.. Or maybe a gt30x? not really sure..