F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > squeaky brakes and window rattles!
Extreme Powerhouse

05-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

squeaky brakes and window rattles!

Hi all
Would appreciate any help here.
My f31 330d m sport has had squeaky brakes since I got it in early January. It is just as you are coming to a halt and easing/feathering the brakes. It is very annoying. The car has been back to the dealer twice where they said they could find nothing and asked BMW what to do. BMW UK who run BMW Ireland recommended changing the pads which was done but the problem remains.
The other issue is a rattle/fluttering noise from the drivers window area that drives me mad. The dealer has refitted the surround/trim but noise still there.
Have any others had similar issues and if so what were the solutions?
Would be grateful for help as these problems drive me mad!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

My March 13 320d brakes do the same - its a bit annoying and embarrassing as its a premium car.
I spoke to the dealer and they said that BMW are currently looking at this issue and it mostly affects the cars with bigger brakes not normally a 320.

They have been chamfering some customers brakes but the results are still not totally noise free i'm told
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
Hi all
The other issue is a rattle/fluttering noise from the drivers window area that drives me mad. The dealer has refitted the surround/trim but noise still there.
I had a similar window rattle on my 120d when I first had it many years ago. It popped up time and time again on forums and seemed to be due to the hard plastics in the window surround and that they needed time to 'bed' in. The cure in the short term was to use some auto glym vinyl and rubber care on the areas the window goes into and after I did that for a few weeks it went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
I had a similar window rattle on my 120d when I first had it many years ago. It popped up time and time again on forums and seemed to be due to the hard plastics in the window surround and that they needed time to 'bed' in. The cure in the short term was to use some auto glym vinyl and rubber care on the areas the window goes into and after I did that for a few weeks it went away.
Top tip. I have noticed this too
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
Hi all
Would appreciate any help here.
My f31 330d m sport has had squeaky brakes since I got it in early January. It is just as you are coming to a halt and easing/feathering the brakes. It is very annoying. The car has been back to the dealer twice where they said they could find nothing and asked BMW what to do. BMW UK who run BMW Ireland recommended changing the pads which was done but the problem remains.
Have you tried bedding in the brakes. Someone posted a link a while back on how to do it. I've found that on my E61 simply braking harder when stopping and avoiding 'halfbraking' has stopped mine squeaking - and they were doing it for years! When the new F31 comes I'm gonna go for a bedding drive late night down a long deserted road...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
geoffgp
England
Rep
Drives: F31 330D XDrive

My Mar 13 330D Touring has the same brake noise issue. The dealer was about to change the discs and pads until they notified BMW and found that several dealers had reported the same issue. Now they are waiting on a fix/recall from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

How widespread is squeal? I've only had mine a couple of days - no brake squeal or window rattle so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Have you tried bedding in the brakes. Someone posted a link a while back on how to do it. I've found that on my E61 simply braking harder when stopping and avoiding 'halfbraking' has stopped mine squeaking - and they were doing it for years! When the new F31 comes I'm gonna go for a bedding drive late night down a long deserted road...
what he said,burn them in
      05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
For the last 2K miles, my rears have squealed like a C list celebrity in 'Get Me Outta Here'.

Asked dealer to look at them when it was having the gearbox replaced - on collection they told me they'd 're-seated' the pads. The next day.... S-Q-U-E-A-L .....

Still, it's looking like it'll have to go back in as the replacement auto box has started developing issues, so on the bright side... they'll get another chance to fix the brakes!!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0