E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Any special bondo , primer needed for work on CF parts?

05-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Any special bondo , primer needed for work on CF parts?

Any tips on making CF hood and trunk look smooth and even on all big surfaces?

The hood have oxidation on epoxy / clear coat. Its a Vorsteiner hood vented.

Had a small damage on corner towards driver windscreen corner. And on driverside ,if you would place hands on both outer sides of the hood while closing it shut , the the driverside have a slight crack in the epoxy / clearcoat.

Plan is do bondo as much as possible on the big surfaces that would reflect imperfections the most , the rest will be prepped to have as smooth and even surface without using so much bondo. The vents will be left CF finish and the rest painted.

My questions is :
Do I need to use any kind of special bondo while working on CF/epoxy parts ?
Later, will I need to use any special kind of primer?
The oxidation that I can see already in some areas , if sanded and polished up and painted with UV clearcoat , would this stop later oxidation in the epoxy/old clearcoat layer ?

The trunk is a CLS style CF , quite nice looking piece , just the surface of the spoiler , facing up that need some evening to get it perfect. And in the area facing rear window , it looks like the epoxy had some poor flow in that area , a slight uneven surface by looks of it.Hope it would be fixed with sanding it away ,if not bondo.....

The rear facing part of the spoiler on the trunk will be left CF finish , rest painted.

Same questions as above apply here too.

Appreciate help from any painters or enlighten members

Have a great weekend everyone
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Hello......
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

oxidation can be cleaned by polishing, no problem.

UV clear (or paint) will protect well in the future.

Do not fill with bondo, use epoxy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
oxidation can be cleaned by polishing, no problem.

UV clear (or paint) will protect well in the future.

Do not fill with bondo, use epoxy.
Thanks man

And primer ? Any good brand will do?
Appreciate 0