F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 330d xdrive demo
ARMA SPEED

05-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 335D MSport

F31 330d xdrive demo

My dealer has been kind enough to give me an f31 330d msport xdrive for the next 4 days. It's got the following spec :

Media professional
Visibility
Heated seats
19" 403s
Lumbar
Reversing camera
Interior comfort pack

It's white with black Dakota leather and the stupid blue stripe on the dashboard (why!?). No adaptive shocks and standard audio. I'm using it with an iPhone 5.

I'll write a bit of review at the end but it's already done about 350 miles today across motorway, A roads and wet b roads across the moors. So far i'm unconvinced about xdrive, but we'll see how I get on.

If anybody wants me to test anything out, let me know.
Current: '17 F31 335d | BS | Black Dakota | Pro Media Plus | M Sport Plus | Advanced Parking | Interior Comfort | Mirrors || '16 F20 M140i | BS | Manual | Advanced Hifi | Heated Seats | Driver Comfort Pack
Past:bb '13 F31 330d M Sport | '11 E87 118d M Sport | '11 F11 520d M Sport | '07 E70 X5 3.0d SE | '08 E91 320d Edition M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

What makes you unconvinced about Xdrive and what are you comparing it with?

Always great to get a loaner for a few days!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Aren't the benefits of xdrive, really for winter driving in the snow
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

My tip for getting a feel of xdrive....

Go to a corner you are familiar with and which you'd normally approach at about 60mph and where you'd normally be lifting off the throttle a bit for the corner. Don't lift off.

If xdrive is like quattro you will feel like you are being pulled round the corner on rails.

It's a different sensation to rwd, you may like it and you may not.

See how you go.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
My tip for getting a feel of xdrive....

Go to a corner you are familiar with and which you'd normally approach at about 60mph and where you'd normally be lifting off the throttle a bit for the corner. Don't lift off.

If xdrive is like quattro you will feel like you are being pulled round the corner on rails.

It's a different sensation to rwd, you may like it and you may not.

See how you go.
Are you suggesting this on a corner that you can't go round at 60? but will be able to because of AWD?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If that is the JC demo, I had a short loan of it a couple of weeks ago while my Z4MC was getting a little minor fettling. I thought the car had a somewhat bizarre spec. Having park assist (i wasnt brave enough to try it with a demo car) and M sport brakes but not adaptive suspension.

I think that we will have both prejudged the issue with my having ordered an Xdrive 330D touring and you rwd I believe.

I started with a particular need as I had to move from my E92 M3 comp pack a couple of years ago to a car with a lot of carrying capacity when my wife's MS needed us to carry a wheelchair at times. I have been running an E70 X5 40D but although powerful and capable just carries too much weight. I think that the F31 will be a better compromise.

I dont think x drive is all about winter as these days winter tyre technology allows pretty much any car to go well in snow so long as it isnt too deep (some of my most fun in the M3 was in snow). I had an RS4 for a while and it could cover the ground with confidence at good speeds in pretty much any conditions and that capability is what I need now.

So F31 for daily driver, long distance cruiser and load lugger with Z4MC for remembering how to use a manual gearbox and rwd fun (it cost about 18 months depn on E92 M3 for an immaculate 33k miles car).

Looking forward to your detaile thoughts.

I think I ordered mine at JC about the same time as you being quoted mid June for delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep

Yes, just noticed this morning that it had the M Sport brakes! (the same JC demo) They seemed pretty good last night but nothing exceptional. Will push them a bit harder today.

On XDrive, its exactly as Rhino at Work says. On familiar roads where I enjoy pushing hard into corners, the xdrive pulls you round and it feels more front drive biased than rear. I don't think it's for me. Don't get me wrong, it's technically very impressive and the grip it has is remarkable in all conditions, its just not the same as carving through your favourite corner in a rear drive BM.

I am comparing it so far to 12 years or so driving rear drive BMs. Having put winter tyres on 3s and 5s and X5s over tha last 6 years or so, i believe that is all you need. And if winter is your prime concern, xdrive alone won't help you stop or steer on snow and Ice.

But the car is awesome, it really is. More to follow.
Current: '17 F31 335d | BS | Black Dakota | Pro Media Plus | M Sport Plus | Advanced Parking | Interior Comfort | Mirrors || '16 F20 M140i | BS | Manual | Advanced Hifi | Heated Seats | Driver Comfort Pack
Past:bb '13 F31 330d M Sport | '11 E87 118d M Sport | '11 F11 520d M Sport | '07 E70 X5 3.0d SE | '08 E91 320d Edition M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Having park assist (i wasnt brave enough to try it with a demo car) and M sport brakes but not adaptive suspension.
I didn't realise it had park assist too. I'll go and give that a shot!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I'm convinced AWD has better handling than a FWD - my R32 is better than my previous GTI. In anything but poor weather I can't see the AWD being better than RWD - unless its a powerful car in which case it might be slightly tamer. Certainly AWD is better off the line.

I linked to an interview with BMW top man in another thread where he said he didn't ever see AWD coming on a proper M car specifically because the additional 150kg at the front had a significant impact on the handling.

In the hands of a mortal like me there's probably nothing in it, but I wanted the lower firmer M Sport suspension. This year in Scotland we had a light dusting of snow for one day. Leave the car at home. As Venkata says, AWD won't help you slow down in snow.

Nisfan may chime in as to why RWD grips harder at the fronts than AWD in a corner better than I. It's all about less forces on the front wheels on RWD vs AWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Would be good to know about the pro media features especially if it doesn't have the "enhanced BT/voice" supplement. Oh and the park assist!
Xdrive always divides opinion here so lots of heat and not much light, but I do disagree with the "leave at home" comment because for me at least snow overnight is never a problem. Snow during the day is the problem and that means the car is already at work!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Just picked my car up from JC's yesterday as was waiting for reg transfer for a week love it, but not driving a lot till get ceramic coated , that we are doing next sat , then some long drives gear box fantastic
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Are you suggesting this on a corner that you can't go round at 60? but will be able to because of AWD?
No - I was just referring to the sort of corner where if you did drive it without lifting off you'd be driving enthusiastically rather than like you were on a race track.

Also, I'm in no way trying to reignite the RWD vs 4WD debate which has been done to death on here. Just trying to offer the OP a thought on how they might compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
jbtco
Captain
Rep

I got a copy of the spec print for this demo car out when I demoed the car and it has Media Package - BMW Prossesional (ZNP) , m sport brakes, 19" wheels, lumbar support, seat heating front, advanced parking package, interior comfort package, & visibility package

I would be very interested to see what happens with iPod / iPhone connected USB in terms of control and display as the car does not seem to have extended Bluetooth / USB
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
No - I was just referring to the sort of corner where if you did drive it without lifting off you'd be driving enthusiastically rather than like you were on a race track.

Also, I'm in no way trying to reignite the RWD vs 4WD debate which has been done to death on here. Just trying to offer the OP a thought on how they might compare the two.
OK, just my pet hate that 'the masses' believe AWD gives more corner grip.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Aren't the benefits of xdrive, really for winter driving in the snow
If you want something for the snow buy a landrover.

xdrive is about sure grip and confidence IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

I won't lie, I did get xDrive partly for snow and ice much like the A3 Quattro it's replaced, but to counter the "winter tyre" contingent I like it for the wet weather. Much more sure footed down all the steep and twisty lanes on my commute where a 2wd vehicle struggles for purchase. And wet weather lasts FAR more then the "two or three weeks" that snow and ice have tended to affect.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
Would be good to know about the pro media features especially if it doesn't have the "enhanced BT/voice" supplement. !
This demo has very much put my mind at rest on this issue. I think all the answers are contained with the forums, but to sum up:

This car has the Pro Media suite but no enhanced Bluetooth.

With an Iphone 5 using an Apple USB lead connected to the port in the armrest, it plays all your music and playlists and shows cover art. All of the phone functionality works over Bluetooth and runs very nicely. Handsfree quality very good.

The stock sound system really isn't very good though. It gets itself in a real mess with certain tracks when played at any kind of volume. Best settings are treble up and bass right down. Its not as bad as the tragically awful stock system in the F11 and with some music it sounds OK. But, if you have the chance, upgrade.

I have played a bit with Connect Drive Apps and it seems to work OK. It has loaded all my calendar information OK. The messages function doesn't seem to work yet, but suspect that's to do with phone settings.

You get partial voice control that lets you work the phone functionality: dial number, save contact names etc.

So, key things that you would be missing by not having Enhanced Bluetooth as far as I can see:

Cradle in armrest
Dictation / reading of messages
Use of vehicle antenna
Full voice control
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
You get partial voice control that lets you work the phone functionality: dial number, save contact names etc.

So, key things that you would be missing by not having Enhanced Bluetooth as far as I can see:

Cradle in armrest
Use of vehicle antenna
Full voice control
Super summary sir. Thank you.
Surprised and pleased that the only voice I'd use is included. I think that's £350 well not spent for me
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
jbtco
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by languidmandala View Post
Super summary sir. Thank you.
Surprised and pleased that the only voice I'd use is included. I think that's £350 well not spent for me
Me too, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

Cradle in armrest
Use of vehicle antenna
Full voice control
So what is inside the armrest? Does you have a large storage compartment? That would be nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
Me too, thanks
Ditto, thanks - that's me removing the enhanced usb/bt from my list
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I thought if you didn't have enhanced bluetooth then you couldn't stream music from you phone over bluetooth?
Appreciate 0