F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Coral Red leather help!!
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Boogalu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 13 328i(SOLD) GS 16 435i GC

Coral Red leather help!!

hello all, so my driver side seat seems to have a dark tint them after 1500 miles so I was researching online and there seems to be many different opinions on how to clean this leather. So i am looking for those with experience in removing the jean stain from the seats!

List of orthodox possible cleaners
-Lexol leather cleaners
-Meguiars gold
-Leatherique

List of Unorthodox cleaners
- Baby wipes (does this work?!)
-damp towel

Please let me know what you have tried and if it has worked magnificently or did you just irritate your hand and your wallet

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

I had the same issue with my previous E90. I had Oyster Leather, Jeans & Belts would rub off on the leather and leave marks. I tried numerous things and the only thing I could get to work is time in the seat without the cause. Natural wear took off the markings and cleaned it up for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Phamous
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

You should of bought coral red towels and place it on the seat (only bottom portion, not back). It really helps but for now, you should start to do it anyways before it gets worst and like he said above. Natural wear removes it so maybe the towel will remove it also.
      06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
N-Y
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

I have same interior.... I ordered this to take care of the leather... haven't tried yet though, http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...spi_109_16.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Boogalu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 13 328i(SOLD) GS 16 435i GC

Thanks guys. I ordered the lexol leather cleaner wipes, did it at night so the seat could dry and it came out looking new. I guess the factory coating is still pretty good so that stains don't set so quickly!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Being able to remove the dark spots/areas from your seats depends on the nature of how they came to be that way. If it's from a spill and it has absorbed into the leather, it won't be removable, though there may be some expensive and elaborate means for a professional to re-dye the leather for you. If it's just surface dirt just about any cleanser with will do, though I would initially eschew things with ammonia or bleach in them as those chemicals may compromise the leather's longevity.

Start by simply taking a dry washcloth and some elbow grease to remove anything that's easily removed. If more work is needed, step up to a damp washcloth, which will remove anything that isn't oil based. Next step, try saddle soap, followed by several "rinses" with a clean wetter-than-damp cloth, for it has worked just fine for years to clean leather. Like all other soaps, it works by bonding with oil and allowing the rinsing action to carry the oil-based dirt away. These are where I'd start. (Ivory soap is also a reasonable cleanser to use in place of saddle soap.)

If that doesn't work, try applying a small bit household cleanser (but nothing with oil in it) to a cloth -- not directly to the car seats -- and them immediately clean again with saddle soap and then a leather conditioner.

The trick here is to use the minimum amount of chemistry to remove the soiling. Leather is porous and will therefore absorb what you apply to it. By following the progression I suggested, you'll at least be certain that your leather isn't absorbing something it didn't need to. You can certainly go straight to a product made expressly to clean leather, but I can assure you it won't do a better job than saddle soap, though it will probably not require the subsequent "rinsings."

FWIW, if you've ever had your shoes shined, you'll h ave noticed that the person doing it cleaned your shoes before waxing the leather. That is essentially the same approach I've suggested above, minus the subsequent waxing.

Best of luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0