E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Tuning

09-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

335i Tuning

Came accross this in the latest BMW Car Magazine (www.bmwcarmagazine.com):

The 335i has quickly become the darling of the tuning world and Evolve Automotive has recently been appointed a UK distributor for Active Autowerke’s XEDE ECU upgrade. The XEDE Processor has been designed to work in conjunction with the standard ECU, adjusting the fuelling and ignition to deliver increased power and torque, along with improved throttle response, fuel economy and smoother acceleration. Boost is raised to 14psi up from the stock 8psi which results in a gain of 54bhp and a massive 85lb ft of torque, making the already rapid 335i indecently quick.

Active has tested the upgrade on its own 335is in manual and auto form and it results in no fault codes or engine problems and is easily fitted by a competent mechanic as well as being reversible. The XEDE upgrade costs £950 including VAT – log onto www.evolveyourcar.com or call 0870 0850 111 to find out more and see what other Active products are available.

Worth a look?
      09-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
love it, think that will give yo guys 380 odd BHP, considering most are making 320-330 stock!!

Carlos
      09-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

nooooooooo.... please don't start a procede/xede thread...! it's degenerated into the most pathetic slanging match over on the US forum (under 335i Engine Tuning)

Sorry, I'll be understanding for a bit... here's a very brief summary:

There are two ways of tuning the 335i petrol engine - 1) to reprogram the ECU, 2) to plug in an external tuning box to alter the boost and fuelling

For 1) - BMW have made the ECU incredibly difficult to hack, with some serious password protection going on. This is making it near-enough impossible for the likes of DMS Automotive (in the UK) and Dinan Tuning (in the US) to reprogram the ECU. These two companies in particular like to go down the reprogramming route because a) it doesn't involve hardwiring an external box in to the ECU chamber, and b) it is invisible to a BMW diagnostic machine, unless of course the technician is specifically delving in to the actual coding (which is highly unlikely), and c) you have access to the full range of ECU data and monitoring

For 2) - the good thing with Procede/Xede is that it works - figures of 380hp and 370lbft of torque are not uncommon. However, there's an extra box that sits in your engine, so any half-wit technician will be able to see it when it goes in for service. For sure you're not going to be uninstalling and reinstalling the box everytime you need to take your car in for service... or maybe you are, I don't know. Also, this box can only alter a few parameters of the ECU - and it can't take into account the constant data monitoring the ECU provides. The big problem though that people are finding in the States is that a lot of cars are suddenly going into limp mode (where the ECU half shuts down to protect the car). Limp mode is happening in cases where the ambient temperature is too hot, or there's too much humidity, or for none of those reasons at all and just because it throws a fault code in the ECU. What I'm trying to say is that it's not 100% reliable.

There is a Procede engineer (Shiv@Vishnu) who actually contributes to the US forum - by contribute, I mean he argues with every single member who says a bad word about Procede/Xede, and says that the ongoing software developments always fix the problems. But IMO that in itself is a problem - you're buying a box that constantly needs updating?? What's the point?!

I have personally been wanting to tweak the ECU of my car - but I'm waiting for DMS to crack the code. They will eventually do it - and when they do it will be reliable, as their history is pretty much impeccable to date and their testing regime is very thorough.

(Incidentally, the people behind Procede made their name by modifying Mitsubishi Evos... and quite a few of those engines didn't quite work for as long they planned...!!)

And breathe.....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Hey Carlos,
What about this for your 335d (from same company)

BMW
Model : 3 Series E90 E91 E92
Variant : 335d
Original BHP : 286 BHP
Price : £695
Description :
Stage 1: ECU Remap +54 BHP +80nm Torque

Get your 0-60 time down a bit!
      09-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP View Post
Hey Carlos,
What about this for your 335d (from same company)

BMW
Model : 3 Series E90 E91 E92
Variant : 335d
Original BHP : 286 BHP
Price : £695
Description :
Stage 1: ECU Remap +54 BHP +80nm Torque

Get your 0-60 time down a bit!
Hi there 2GPP, yes i am interested in a re-map for the 335d, its just finding the right company to do this for me

340bhp does sound good tho and the torque, not sure bout Newton metres but in IBS it should be approx 530!!! pretty impressive

E92FAN i think shiv has worked into the proceede an element of safety which cuts in long before the infamous ''limp home mode''

i have not heard of any US 335i with this modification going into ''LHM''

i know many UK 535d were going into ''LHM'' with a re-map but not heard of any 335d going into it as i believe the ECU is different!!

Carlos
      09-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Hi there 2GPP, yes i am interested in a re-map for the 335d, its just finding the right company to do this for me

340bhp does sound good tho and the torque, not sure bout Newton metres but in IBS it should be approx 530!!! pretty impressive

E92FAN i think shiv has worked into the proceede an element of safety which cuts in long before the infamous ''limp home mode''

i know many UK 535d were going into ''LHM'' with a re-map but not heard of any 335d going into it as i believe the ECU is different!!

Carlos

You should read the threads carefully again then buddy - several 335i PETROLS have gone into limp mode, and the guys have been resetting the ECUs everytime. The diesels are completely different to the petrol. Speak to DMS Automotive and see what they've got for the 335d. I think that you're right in the ECUs being different between the 535d and the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Talking

Quote:

Carlos
I could go into the argument of the fact that your car isn't US spec petrol, so how can you be so sure your UK diesel vehicle will 'work' similarly to the US Proceded ones, and also the fact that you haven't heard of any going into LHM doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't happened- there may be a lot of US Procede owners around, too embarrassed to say a word!

But I won't!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I could go into the argument of the fact that your car isn't US spec petrol, so how can you be so sure your UK diesel vehicle will 'work' similarly to the US Proceded ones, and also the fact that you haven't heard of any going into LHM doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't happened- there may be a lot of US Procede owners around, too embarrassed to say a word!

But I won't!

Viv
your lacking two tubbys before you even start tuning

lotsa love

carlosisinlove
      09-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

But I won't!

Viv
And Viv, we could also go into the technical argument of the differences in octane rating and burn efficiency between standard US and UK petrol (89-91RON vs 95RON)... and also the fact that US 335i petrols don't have a secondary oil cooler as standard... oh, and that petrol and diesel is different..

...but I won't either!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
your lacking two tubbys before you even start tuning

lotsa love

carlosisinlove
Although I have no intention of tuning, I may have to bar you from UK4 anyway, Carlimpmode, just for being cheeky!

That's assuming your daddy's car does actually make it to the outskirts of Derbyshire!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Carlos, if you are really serious about a remap for your car,speak to DMS.
I had my current 330D remapped down Southampton way & I can't recommend the experience enough.
I know several people who have visited DMS, not just Beemer owners,several Merc owners I know used DMS & are equally delighted as I was.

My new 335D will be going to DMS a short while after I collect it (when it finally gets here!) and I know from experience,that the trip & cost will be well worth it.

The drive back will be a scream!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Although I have no intention of tuning, I may have to bar you from UK4 anyway, Carlimpmode, just for being cheeky!

That's assuming your daddy's car does actually make it to the outskirts of Derbyshire!

Viv
it made it up there last weekend
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Carlos, if you are really serious about a remap for your car,speak to DMS.
I had my current 330D remapped down Southampton way & I can't recommend the experience enough.
I know several people who have visited DMS, not just Beemer owners,several Merc owners I know used DMS & are equally delighted as I was.

My new 335D will be going to DMS a short while after I collect it (when it finally gets here!) and I know from experience,that the trip & cost will be well worth it.

The drive back will be a scream!
i have also heard good things about CAA and i think there re-maps produce a little more power!

your 330d is she e46?

Carlos
      09-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
your 330d is she e46?
Indeed,she is,quite a cracker too!

I can't comment on CAA, although I too have heard good reports,Peppernick had his 335D 'done' by CAA I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
so what power and torque do you have out of your 330d?
      09-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

i've also heard that E-Maps are ok and the guy Simon was very helpfull on the phone

also heard that DMS had sold there 335i and just given up
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

If Simon at emaps is aginger bloke from brummyland then hes the same bloke who does the CAA remaps. I can say that he is a top bloke.

Squeeze stop fucking around and get her remapped.........PPPPPUUUUUUSSSYY
      09-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
i've also heard that E-Maps are ok and the guy Simon was very helpfull on the phone

Noooo... Oh. S*!T
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thats is correct.....they cant crack the ecu

either its a tuning box or standard tune from now on
      09-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
If Simon at emaps is aginger bloke from brummyland then hes the same bloke who does the CAA remaps. I can say that he is a top bloke.

Squeeze stop fucking around and get her remapped.........PPPPPUUUUUUSSSYY

Stevey,times are hard pal a grand for a re-map could break me

been told in no uncertain terms by my brief today that after my divorce goes thru' i should be happy if i've still got me pants on

have a heart bro' i'm on here to be cared for
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

been told in no uncertain terms by my brief today that after my divorce goes thru' i should be happy if i've still got me pants on

Jeez ur going through a parting of ways?! I better start introducing u to all those girls then...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

im really sorry about your divorce.....if you get a remap you can run her over faster ( 500quid from caa) pussy
      09-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #22
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Jeez ur going through a parting of ways?! I better start introducing u to all those girls then...

Mate, i'm off women (in a manly type of way of course) for a while
Appreciate 0