F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Just Got JB Stage 1
Studio RSR

05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Cool Just Got JB Stage 1

Picked this bad boy up last night from Mike. Went to a Mcdonalds Plaza, popped the hood open and looked for bimmerpost threads with installation pics (Previous to this I had never really read or watched any of those installation vidz). Took me 5 mins to install! And now that I know where everything is I think i can take it off / reinstall in under 1 minute!

The Juice: Best way to explain the extra power is in terms of numbers. My butt dyno says there's about 10%-15% more power with the stage 1, and only accessible when somewhat pushing the car (ie above 3.5K RPM). Otherwise, under normal driving theres absolutely no difference in power, which I think is fantastic for fuel economy. Did a couple 0-60 runs and definitely felt the extra power and there was way more wheel spin than before. In 2nd gear pull I felt the most power/torque and generally more torque overall.

The Noise: Louder BOV action, much more noticeable than before.

Overall this is a great tune, stupid easy install, for $379 its a bargain! Don't expect to turn your car into an M5 but the extra torque/hp is just enough to put a much bigger smile on your face

TO be honest I was expecting much more of a bang judging from peoples comments with JB stage 1 installed. But IMHO it ain't night and Day, more like Night and Dawn lol Thanks Burger Tuning, Now I have the "I need more power" bug and thinking of stage 2, removing the cats, installing downpipe, intake so on and so forth!!

I really want to test the PPK and compare with the Stage 1.

Overall I highly recommend the Stage 1 but becareful, the more power bug has no cure, other than..well..more power
      05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Picked this bad boy up last night from Mike. Went to a Mcdonalds Plaza, popped the hood open and looked for bimmerpost threads with installation pics (Previous to this I had never really read or watched any of those installation vidz). Took me 5 mins to install! And now that I know where everything is I think i can take it off / reinstall in under 1 minute!

The Juice: Best way to explain the extra power is in terms of numbers. My butt dyno says there's about 10%-15% more power with the stage 1, and only accessible when somewhat pushing the car (ie above 3.5K RPM). Otherwise, under normal driving theres absolutely no difference in power, which I think is fantastic for fuel economy. Did a couple 0-60 runs and definitely felt the extra power and there was way more wheel spin than before. In 2nd gear pull I felt the most power/torque and generally more torque overall.

The Noise: Louder BOV action, much more noticeable than before.

Overall this is a great tune, stupid easy install, for $379 its a bargain! Don't expect to turn your car into an M5 but the extra torque/hp is just enough to put a bigger smile on your face

TO be honest I was expecting much more of a bang judging from peoples comments with JB stage 1 installed. But IMHO it ain't night and Day, more like Night and Dawn lol Thanks Burger Tuning, Now I have the more power bug and thinking of stage 2, removing the cats, installing downpipe, intake so on and so forth!!

I really want to test the PPK and compare with the Stage 1.
Do you have a pneumatic boost solenoid?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
no idea and why does it matter???
      05-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Jst700
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
no idea and why does it matter???
Too see if you qualify for stg2
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
bosz
Captain
Rep

Ill check right now lol
      05-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Is this it?
Attached Images

05-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is this it?
Yes sir that is the right one. There is a firmware which you may have already I would ask Terry and you can hook that up and it will add some power. Let me know if it helps.

Also dont worry I could not really tell a difference until I used Map 2 with E85. These engine are not peaky and are so smooth. Also the The Jb4 elimanates the turbo lag so you dont feel that instant hit. Trust me you are faster its just deceptive. All stock except for stage 2 with E85 I left a new ZL1 camaro.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Yes sir that is the right one. There is a firmware which you may have already I would ask Terry and you can hook that up and it will add some power. Let me know if it helps.

Also dont worry I could not really tell a difference until I used Map 2 with E85. These engine are not peaky and are so smooth. Also the The Jb4 elimanates the turbo lag so you dont feel that instant hit. Trust me you are faster its just deceptive. All stock except for stage 2 with E85 I left a new ZL1 camaro.
He'd have to get JB4 Stage 2 to utilize all that. From his post, it seems he only has stage 1 which is just a set increase in boost and no map switching ability.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

If you have the pneumatic solenoid, don't you plug in 3 connectors instead of just 2 with the stage 1? and does having it allow you to maximize the effectiveness of the stage 1 or is that no longer the case ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
He'd have to get JB4 Stage 2 to utilize all that. From his post, it seems he only has stage 1 which is just a set increase in boost and no map switching ability.
He cant switch maps but there is a firmware upgrade for use of the boost solenoid with stage 1. There is a noticeable difference.

Last edited by buildbright; 05-02-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
If you have the pneumatic solenoid, don't you plug in 3 connectors instead of just 2 with the stage 1? and does having it allow you to maximize the effectiveness of the stage 1 or is that no longer the case ?
Correct you can plug in the three conectors. I know there was a firmware upgrade for the stage 1 to take advantage.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct you can plug in the three conectors. I know there was a firmware upgrade for the stage 1 to take advantage.
Can you reference where you heard this? I wasn't aware any new firmware upgrades had been released anytime recently.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson524 View Post
Can you reference where you heard this? I wasn't aware any new firmware upgrades had been released anytime recently.
Me either. I'd double check on that. The boost silonoid isn't used for Stage 1. You can't even update stage 1 firmware as there is no connection for the usb (they started removing them a couple months ago when stage 2 came out).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson524 View Post
Ask Terry at BMS. Its been talked about here, N54tech, and I talked about it with him before I bought my stage 2. You may not need the firmware upgrade just connect the the boost solenoid.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
You can switch maps via a Laptop.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Bosz - Try doing a couple WOT runs.. It takes a bit for everything to settle in.

EDIT: I see you did some 0-60 run. nevermind then

Last edited by bananachipz; 05-02-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Me either. I'd double check on that. The boost silonoid isn't used for Stage 1. You can't even update stage 1 firmware as there is no connection for the usb (they started removing them a couple months ago when stage 2 came out).
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=797023&page=2

Here is a link to reference.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's all stage 2 stuff. There are no maps in stage 1, nor is there any firmware updates for N55 stage 1 that I can find or have heard of. How could you even update firmware without a usb connection anyway?

Talking about Stage 2, then yes, everything said is true, it had a newish firmware in December and another in March and Stage 2 uses the solinoid while stage 1 does not.

Are we talking about different things? Not sure why all the confusion since stage 1 is just set it and forget it while stage 2 has firmware updates, map changing abilities, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's all stage 2 stuff. There are no maps in stage 1, nor is there any firmware updates for N55 stage 1 that I can find or have heard of. How could you even update firmware without a usb connection anyway?

Talking about Stage 2, then yes, everything said is true, it had a newish firmware in December and another in March and Stage 2 uses the solinoid while stage 1 does not.

Are we talking about different things? Not sure why all the confusion since stage 1 is just set it and forget it while stage 2 has firmware updates, map changing abilities, etc.
Thats funny stage 2 wasnt annouced untill 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM. Stage 1 can use the solenoid if its pneumatic. As far as upgrades there were Stage 1's that had a USB connection they may have only did that for betas. There was no stage 2 firmware in December because Terry didnt even have his development car. Where are you getting your incorrect facts?

Last edited by buildbright; 05-02-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats funny stage 2 wasnt annouced untill 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM. Stage 1 can use the solenoid if its pneumatic. As far as upgrades there were Stage 1's that had a USB connection they may have only did that for betas. There was no stage 2 firmware in December because Terry didnt even have his development car. Where are you getting your incorrect facts?
You're right stage 2 for F30 N55's wasn't out to the public until early Feb. N55 stage 2 had been out since 2011 but not for the F30s obviously.

I swear I saw something related to a firmware update in December 2012 but perhaps that was the non F30 N55 version of stage 2.

And yes, stage 1's did have the USB connection, but currently do not (I can confirm that on the one I have on my car and a conversation I had with Terry). But Stage 1 F30 N55 directions say not to plug in the solenoid connection. Apparently some early version of the DME can use it with no issues, but they're telling people not to plug it in for stage 1. Stage 2 is a different story.

So my bad, one of my firmware update date on stage 2 was wrong. Nothing has changed with stage 1 in quite a while other than them removing the ability to connect to USB to your laptop.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
bosz
Captain
Rep

OK so to summarize all the above, theres no firmware update for stage 1 nor does it make a diff if i connect the 3rd wire, because all this is stage 2 stuff yes?

Bananachipz there is a noticeable increase in power, specially torque bc i feel my car is lifting alot more than before!

Now can someone tell me, is there a difference between stage1 vs stage2 Map 1? I dont think i would use map 2 since i dont have a downpipe (nor will i install one on a leased car) and dont have access to E85 here in Toronto
      05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK so to summarize all the above, theres no firmware update for stage 1 nor does it make a diff if i connect the 3rd wire, because all this is stage 2 stuff yes?

Bananachipz there is a noticeable increase in power, specially torque bc i feel my car is lifting alot more than before!

Now can someone tell me, is there a difference between stage1 vs stage2 Map 1? I dont think i would use map 2 since i dont have a downpipe (nor will i install one on a leased car) and dont have access to E85 here in Toronto

Contact Terry. You should be able to use the third connection and reap the benefits.
Appreciate 0