E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cannot reset service interval for Microfilter

04-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Cannot reset service interval for Microfilter

I'm familiar with resetting service intervals via the odometer button and the left hand stalk however the Microfilter item is currently displaying dashes for both mileage and the date when it is due to be changed. It is currently displaying as an orange service item (soon requires attention).

I can go through the motions of performing the reset (selecting the Microfilter service item, selecting reset etc) and the timer symbol displays as normal but the time and mileage entries remain blank (dashes).

I have just had the DSC/ABS Hydro unit repaired but this did not require recoding.

I changed the Microfilter in December and this problem occurred after I removed the DSC/ABS unit.

It might be my imagination but I thought the issue corrected itself when I replaced the repaired DSC/ABS unit yesterday but is has reappeared and I am at a loss.

I am reasonably familiar with INPA / MCS Expert etc if anyone is able to help.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The problem appears to have resolved itself. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. When I reconnected the battery the problem remained and I could not reset the service interval. When I checked again just now, the correct replacement mileage and date was displaying and the amber service warning has ceased.

Not sure how this occurred or why it has gone away.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Weirder still.... problem has returned.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Fixed it. This was weird. Every time I disconnected and reconnected the battery, the iDrive Service display showed the correct planned microfilter mileage and date - for 30 minutes or so. Then the amber warning and dashes in place of mileage and month/year reappeared - whilst I was driving and watching.

There was very little on the web explaining why this might be the case.

I decided to reprogram the instrument console (KOMBI) module using SSS. This was scary as the estimated time to complete was 5 minutes - and 15 minutes later my laptop ran out of steam and I was left with a myriad of flashing lights on the instrument cluster (which was also completely inoperative) which would not extinguish even after disconnecting the battery.

Following morning - with battery charger connected and mains supply to laptop I repeated the process and the KOMBI module successfully completed its reprogramming. Massive relief. However the microfilter service item was still amber etc.

Not to be thwarted I then decided to program the IHKA module (Aircon) and lo and behold - this sorted out the problem. Solved - and a good learning process, if not a bit scary at times.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello,
I have been searching all over the web and just came across your post. I am having the same issue with resting the micro filter service.

What is the IHKA module? Can you PM or perhaps post on here what you did? Thanks and and any help much appreciated.

I will send you a PM just in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi there,

I've seen your PM but thought I would post here for the benefit of everyone.

The IHKA module is the electronics which control the integrated heating and climate control system.

I used SSS Progman to update the software on the IHKA. I had previously thought that the Condition Based Servicing (CBS) display was controlled purely from the KOMBI unit (the speedo/rev counter/warning light unit).

Reprogramming the IHKA unit took only a few minutes. What you will notice afterwards is that the green LED on the Aircon button will flash for a while whilst the aircon resets itself during the first few miles of use afterwards.

What caused the problem in the first place? I'm not sure. I was messing around with the NCSExpert software and may have overridden some default settings. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the post, I have some local in Miami that is charging $20 to code this out. I dont have the equipment to code. I will pass this on to him if he does know how to code it out.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0