M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

First 1200 mile service.

Hi Chaps,
Im coming up to the first 1200 mile service shortly, and would like to ask, whether the myth of the car not having full power, from the factory, is fact, or fiction ?.Ive asked the dealers over here, and they do say, that there is a software upgrade of some sort, but i took that as being, the launch control activation ?. Any input from you guys ?, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Never noticed any change in performance, being able to use the full rev range may give the impression that more power is unleashed......

Mines just done 4,000 and I still haven't tried the launch control yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
Never noticed any change in performance, being able to use the full rev range may give the impression that more power is unleashed......

Mines just done 4,000 and I still haven't tried the launch control yet!
Thanks for that w5pwr,
I wouldnt have thought, that the car left the factory, with a restricted power flow, but, i guess, as you say, being able to fully utilize the rev range, may give that impression. Dont think i will ever use launch control on this car either. Im more bothered about the car coming away from its service, in exactly the same condition, as it went in, ie, no marks whatsoever. I get on pretty well with my dealer, so a few pointers wont go amiss, when i give them the keys , regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Simon what I tend to do these days is just walk round the car with an iPhone making sure I get the wheels etc and also an image of millage. The phone will time and date stamp it and if there were a problem when you collect the car you can show them it was okay when you handed over the keys.

However, It does not stop them thrashing the car on a 'test' drive which all 'M' cars seem to need.......
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
Simon what I tend to do these days is just walk round the car with an iPhone making sure I get the wheels etc and also an image of millage. The phone will time and date stamp it and if there were a problem when you collect the car you can show them it was okay when you handed over the keys.

However, It does not stop them thrashing the car on a 'test' drive which all 'M' cars seem to need.......
Toby,
Hi mate. I have a slotted appointment for this 1st service, so i will be waiting for the car, and if the car does need to go out on the road, i will be going out with it. A little excessive maybe, but i wont be happy unless i do so. I probably wont be as OCD when the following service is due in 12 months time, or whenever, but for the first one, im a little wary. Regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Just had the break in service. Only one additional mile on the clock when I collected the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash21 View Post
Just had the break in service. Only one additional mile on the clock when I collected the car.
Thanks for the info Stash,
Im adamant, that if the car needs to leave the premises, to set oil level etc, i will be going out with it. Its not that i dont trust the dealers, its more for my peace of mind, that the car is treated properly, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Pre service

Hi - I've just joined this forum. I received delivery of my M5 last week. Its been a great experience driving it so far.

Any advice regarding the pre run in service? I have only done just over 200 miles in my car and have not got much advice from my dealer with regards to what I am / am not allowed to do.

Thanks

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Hi - I've just joined this forum. I received delivery of my M5 last week. Its been a great experience driving it so far.

Any advice regarding the pre run in service? I have only done just over 200 miles in my car and have not got much advice from my dealer with regards to what I am / am not allowed to do.

Thanks

Rob
The detail is in the manual. Keep revs below 5500 and speed below 106mph (or appropriate country speed limit ). I took it pretty easy in the period normally revving to around 4000 once the engine is up to temperature.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Just a quick update. Had my first service the other day, and all went very well. I did drive out in the car with the service manager, to set the oil level, but it was only a mile or so, so this is the only mileage that you should see on your car after this service. They used Castrol Edge Professional 0w 30 engine oil, and i was happy with that. They also said they plug the car in to some machine, but dont actually know what, if any software is downloaded into the car from there. This was in response to my question, about, whether launch control is indeed fired up on this service, or if it is operational from the start. Regards, SIMON .
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

I thought I read somewhere that during the first service they unlock (allow a higher boost pressure for) the turbos.
As I don't have my car just yet, I cannot confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
I thought I read somewhere that during the first service they unlock (allow a higher boost pressure for) the turbos.
As I don't have my car just yet, I cannot confirm this.
This ^

When I did my break in service in Europe during my ED. We confirmed with the techs more than 10 times if they will update the software, and if there is any additional power after the break in service. They said that the turbos now allow higher pressure.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
This ^

When I did my break in service in Europe during my ED. We confirmed with the techs more than 10 times if they will update the software, and if there is any additional power after the break in service. They said that the turbos now allow higher pressure.
Where did you do your break in service (which dealer, what town). Trying to do some ED route planning as we speak and hope to do the same thing over there.
      06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Where did you do your break in service (which dealer, what town). Trying to do some ED route planning as we speak and hope to do the same thing over there.
We did our break in service in Rome. There are 2 dealers in Rome, both M certified. If you plan to do it there let me know, I can get you in touch with the service manager there. He did a wonderful job, and there was always 4 people that came to us every 15 minutes to tell us what was being done, and what was already done. Best service hands down.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Just for info, unless you really must have break-in service during ED, you need not have it during your ED experience. There are those who want to try the Nürburgring, that after traveling in Europe through their ED, head for it (especially if you fly in/fly out of Germany). If this is your goal then you have to have the break-in service but bear in mind that you will need to set aside at least a day to break your ED travel for this particular service. During my ED, I did want to have the break-in service done but during trip planning, I projected reaching 1200 miles somewhere in Switzerland. Looking for a place to have the break-in service done would necessitate my staying 2 extra days in a chosen location. So, finally, I decided not to have one and just have it when the car gets Stateside. Anyway, whatever you decide, have a nice ED -- I am sure it will be one that will be memorable as the one I did!
      06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
Just for info, unless you really must have break-in service during ED, you need not have it during your ED experience. There are those who want to try the Nürburgring, that after traveling in Europe through their ED, head for it (especially if you fly in/fly out of Germany). If this is your goal then you have to have the break-in service but bear in mind that you will need to set aside at least a day to break your ED travel for this particular service. During my ED, I did want to have the break-in service done but during trip planning, I projected reaching 1200 miles somewhere in Switzerland. Looking for a place to have the break-in service done would necessitate my staying 2 extra days in a chosen location. So, finally, I decided not to have one and just have it when the car gets Stateside. Anyway, whatever you decide, have a nice ED -- I am sure it will be one that will be memorable as the one I did!
Thanks for the info... my tenative plan was to put about 1200 miles through the alps and france, and then get service in or around Kaiserslautern (I have friends at Ramstein AB I will spend a night or two with), then up to the ring just so I can take around for a slow(er) lap, but at least be able to push it a bit. Then I would finish off with some higher speed slab driving across the autobahn back down to Munich. Shooting for around a 10 day trip.