F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Deciding final options
GetBMWParts

04-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Ms Port
Rep
Drives: M Sport EBII

Deciding final options

Okay guys...I need help, it's doing my nut in!

Ready to Order my 320d xDrive Saloon. Just trying to trim down price a little, but which to keep, and which to bin?

Original spec;

Media Pro
EBII
19" Alloys
Vis Pack
HK
M Sport Brakes
VSS
Folding/dimming mirrors
Heated front seats
F & R park sensors
Rear Sun Protection glass

Thinking of getting rid of;

Media Pro
HK
VSS
M Sport Brakes

Replacing with;

Business Media
M Sport Adaptive Suspension
Full Black Screen Panel

I do mainly motorway driving. Looks are important to me, I think I can live without the HK sound system.

Thanks Guys!

PS - Is Adaptive Suspension vital for xDrive models - I don't want a 'moon buggy'
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Get rid of xDrive....keep the rest
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Ditch M Sport brakes as not necessary other than for aesthetics

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I'd get ride of xDrive, VSS, M Sport Brakes and folding mirrors but keep the Pro Media pack, it is so much more than just Sat Nav!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I'd get ride of xDrive, VSS, M Sport Brakes and folding mirrors but keep the Pro Media pack, it is so much more than just Sat Nav!
This except the folding mirrors. You did just say most of your driving is on the motorway. What on earth do you need x drive for? You'll even save on fuel longer term!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Dump the X-drive. As previously mentioned.
Keep the rest
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

You get Black Screen Panel with Media Pro which reduces the differential over Bus Media. Don't think VSS or M Sport brakes are needed especially if your hammering up and down the motorway. Do you need Active Suspension? Suggest try before you buy as standard M Sport is fine for me but mine isn't an xdrive which has 10mm higher ride height whether you go active or not.

Last edited by finnersj; 04-23-2013 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Ha, the anti-xDrive posse make me chuckle. Even without winter tyres my quattro A3 got me out of some tricky places so xDrive was a must for me. Not just in cold weather but wet weather too (mainly, actually). Prone to flooding where i live and roads quite bad and slippy in the wet. For me it depends where you live and if you believe you'd benefit. Personally i couldn't be bothered with winter tyre changeover, but as I say it's the wet weather more commonly.

Personally, i'd ditch the M Sport brakes and VSS as not sure you'll see the benefit with the driving you do. I'd ditch the 19" rims upgrade too but i like the 18" design. I've not got adaptive and i'm not sure it would have beneffitted in the way i'd want either with the xDrive.

Got to have the black panel so pro nav/media the way to go and i'd stick with the h/k so you can cruise in sonic style!

Have you got the comfort pack? Think you'll regret folding headrests/rear seats and the extra storage if not.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I cancelled a built and on the boat car to make sure I got HK, Vis, and folding mirrors. For the cost difference, the HK is much better and you'll regret not getting it. The M Brakes seem an expensive luxury, as does the adaptive suspension. Do you need front sensors?

xdrive is a personal choice. I went with sdrive but nearly went x.

I'd drop the adaptive sus, brakes, 19s, front sensors, and tints. Stick with the original order otherwise. I'd be inclined to add heated seats and lumbar. In fact, you'll see from my sig that I did.

ps - I understand that adaptive won't drop the suspension so the xdrive will still sit a little higher. One of the reasons I went sdrive in the end is because I wanted the lower M sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
Ha, the anti-xDrive posse make me chuckle. Even without winter tyres my quattro A3 got me out of some tricky places so xDrive was a must for me. Not just in cold weather but wet weather too (mainly, actually). Prone to flooding where i live and roads quite bad and slippy in the wet. For me it depends where you live and if you believe you'd benefit. Personally i couldn't be bothered with winter tyre changeover, but as I say it's the wet weather more commonly.

Personally, i'd ditch the M Sport brakes and VSS as not sure you'll see the benefit with the driving you do. I'd ditch the 19" rims upgrade too but i like the 18" design. I've not got adaptive and i'm not sure it would have beneffitted in the way i'd want either with the xDrive.

Got to have the black panel so pro nav/media the way to go and i'd stick with the h/k so you can cruise in sonic style!

Have you got the comfort pack? Think you'll regret folding headrests/rear seats and the extra storage if not.
+ 1 for comport pack, I haven't got it, foolishly assumed that the rear seats folded!!!, mrs wasn't very happy about that. on the plus side it means i dont have to lug crap around in my beautiful car
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
H

Or get folding headrests and split rear seats on their own. Unless the drivers cubby and some nets in the boot is worth £135 to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Keep
xDrive - When it snows you'd of wished you'd had it!
Pro Nav it's well worth the extra £500.
H/K.
Folding mirrors - I find them useful.
Heated Seats - A must!
19 Wheels - Definitely transforms the look.

Remove

VSS - in my opinion it isn't needed.
Front PDC - Waste of time. It's annoying and I have to knock it off a lot on our X3. And at £380 it really isn't worth it.
Vis Pack - Unless your doing lots of night time driving on unlit country roads then I don't see that it's worth the extra £925. Add the high beam assistant at £130 instead.
M Sport Brakes - Agreed with above just for looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Everyone to their own but i would bin VVS, m sport brakes, rear sun protection glass and folding mirrors. Keep pro media and HK especially as you will be spending most of your time on the m-way. I woundn't bother with adaptive but comfort pack would be very useful. Do you need the 19inch rims or even xdrive???
I find the front sensors handy, as i sit quite low down and its a long bonnet...got me out of a few tight spots. Heated seats are great and if you also want to shave a few quid off just go for the xenons rather than the full vis pack as they are well worth the extra.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

On VSS - remember the 320d gets standard steering by default. Unlike the 330d which gets the servo steering. To me, servo or VSS seem like a natural option to spec for improved feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
benkingsley
Rep
Drives: f31 330d Msport

I would heartily recommend getting the HK - and personally, 4wd is over rated and will cost you a lot of cash in the long (and short) run.

If its wet, slow down, if its snowy, slow down and turn your TC off - you will only be sat behind other 2wd cars anyway so little value if you are sensible i think...

I have the adaptive suspension on my F31 - i think its great and makes a material difference to feel of driving experience, i would recommend sticking with this too - and the xenons are very cool too...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
pferdestarke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320D M-Sport

It's so hard knowing what to tick. I'm in a similar situation here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Get rid of xDrive....keep the rest
+1 for this but the X Drive does not need adaptive on 19'' i had one out and no sport suspension and was very compliant on x drive so keep your extra's
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Get one exactly like mine (a 330d) with the beautiful 18" 400M wheels + possibly with VSS (but try VSS before you buy it).

So ditch the 19" Boy Racer Wheels, the Sun Protection glass unless you're a drug dealer, xDrive, the M Sport brakes and you'll be able to get a 330d instead.

Pro Media, M Sport Adaptive Suspenders, Vis Pack and HK a must.

@NISFAN: Yes, the DAB is very interference free and I'm liking it lots at last.
      04-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
So op- what's the thinking? You've had lots of input now. Btw I'm not 'anti-xdrive'. I just think many people will opt for it with the wrong reasons. And as many others have mentioned winter tyres should be a first option for anyone considering driving on snow or very cold conditions and then if that's not enough an awd solution pursued. It just doesn't make financial sense the other way around... I don't doubt there are places and purposes where someone would want xdrive on their saloon or estate.

Anyway ALL of this is personal choice but isn't the point of the thread to ask people's considered opinions and experiences?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

lol F30AM, I was going to say the same thing.

Just get the same as me!

On a serious note. Hardly any threads lately about discounts and negotiating prices. With some negotiating there's no reason why you couldn't get all those options you wanted within budget or at least more than you would have.

Last edited by Deyvy; 04-23-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
lol F30AM, I was going to say the same thing.

Just get the same as me!
Great men think alike and fools seldom differ.
We're G Men!

Had a fabulous run today. So happy with my lumbar support, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Pro Nav. Any more torque and the car will need xDrive. Only thing, I find the steering slightly heavy. In the Evo review they gave the F30 330d 4.5 stars out of 5. Lost half a star due to the 'steering which confuses weight for feel'.
      04-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Sorry if i came across as anti-xdrive.

This is not the case or my opinion. If any new convert to BMW, like myself, wants xdrive. then go ahead. I thought about the weather conditions in this country (UK) & decided xdrive wasn't for me. Although i have read folks changing tyres & such in winter time, i have yet to come across this problem with a rwd.
Wait untill next winter, then i can make my mind up on tyre grip.
Appreciate 0