E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Scratch Removal Products

04-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
eogintz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe

Scratch Removal Products

Hi Folks,

Am I the only schmuck who goes out and buys every new "miracle" scratch remover only to learn that they don't work?

Earlier this week I had my car detailed and everything came out good.

I noticed several paint chips on the hood so I took out my Langka paint chip repair kit and began to use it for the first time. However, at the very last stage where they instruct you to wrap an old T Shirt section around their plastic credit card thing, I noticed that my paint was scratching around each chip that I filled when I did the credit card Blob eliminator thing.

I have Meguiars Scratch X, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and Meguiars Ultimate Polish which I have never used. These scratches were very minor and not your nail catching type but NONE of these products were able to get them out. I did this by hand and EACH of these products are advertised for swirl and scratch removal but they did absolutely NOTHING. What kind of scratches can these products remove if not your most simple surface type that cannot be caught with your fingernail? I have no idea, and once again I was duped having invested in these products and believing their advertising hype only to learn that they DO NOT WORK!

I then picked up a can of the cheap Turtle Wax rubbing compound ($3 at Walmart) which almost everyone on the Internet says will destroy your paint and I began to work with this slowly and very carefully since it is abrasive. It was the ONLY product that actually removed the scratches and with minimal effort. I suppose it is a minimal version of wet sanding. Of course it left some hazing which I expected, but this was taken care of with a few passes of Meguiars Scratch X and their Ultimate Compound. The shine and surface were perfectly restored. I finished up with a glaze and Collinite Liquid 845 wax which has been my very favorite wax for many years and still is. The hood of my car looks great!

Perhaps a Porter Cable would have had no problem but my very experienced detailer did work on these scratches and got them better but still somewhat visible. For $3 bucks and some good exercising of my arms, Turtle Wax rubbing compound did the job! (just be careful with this since I imagine that it can go through your clearcoat in no time if used in excess or with too much pressure).

Good thing that my Walmart has a liberal return policy because some of this junk is going back.

Good luck with your future attempts at scratch removal and be wary of all of these products which claim to do things but don't. I have now learned this the expensive way and with much frustration.

Ed
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

for years I been using turtle wax rubbing compound without any issue. I just put a coat of wax over it after I am done. I only do it for spot treatment for scratches.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I (more completely) ruined my sister-in-laws keyed trunk by a few passes with TW rubbing compound. I didn't feel so bad when her car got repossed . . .
Appreciate 0