F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Windscreen Wiper Fault
Extreme Powerhouse

04-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
RWD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

Windscreen Wiper Fault

Whilst travelling on a rainy day I found the auto functioning wiping mechanism failing. The wipers failed to stop working whatever interval setting you put them on, as well as the fact they should be operating when its raining!

Anyway decided to use the manual wipe mechanism (pull down on the wiper stalk) and rather than running through the wiping cycle once it just stopped midway. So the wipers just stop when I release the stick.

Earlier this week I went to clean the screen and the wipers failed to return to a stationary position and continued without stopping.... I had to pull over and restart the car.

Went to see BMW and after an hour's diagnosis, they have recommended a 4.5 hour software update. Great....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I haven't had any wiper problems, but when I last took my car in (a few weeks back) they replaced the FEM as part of the Customer Improvement thing and one of the reasons they stated is that it can cause wiper malfunction.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
RWD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I haven't had any wiper problems, but when I last took my car in (a few weeks back) they replaced the FEM as part of the Customer Improvement thing and one of the reasons they stated is that it can cause wiper malfunction.
I'm hoping Rob this relevant update cures the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
RWD
Enlisted Member
Rep

For those who are interested....this isolated case was finally fixed post the 4.5hr software update. In the end the wiper module/motor(s) were replaced to solve the problem.

Not great for a part failing on a 6 month old car, but glad its fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

RWD, this is a known problem on early cars. It should have been flagged as needing remedial work perhaps? The updated module should be reliable, so nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
RWD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
RWD, this is a known problem on early cars. It should have been flagged as needing remedial work perhaps? The updated module should be reliable, so nothing to worry about.
Thanks Nisfan, I week or so later and no issues. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

My wipers simply don't follow the speed of the car or the amount of rain when in auto mode. They simply fail to clear the rain adequately as they function very slowly even on the fastest setting. Also. I have to keep pressing the button to activate auto wipe every time I start a new journey. Bloody annoying.
      05-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
RWD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
My wipers simply don't follow the speed of the car or the amount of rain when in auto mode. They simply fail to clear the rain adequately as they function very slowly even on the fastest setting. Also. I have to keep pressing the button to activate auto wipe every time I start a new journey. Bloody annoying.
F30AM, time to visit the dealer. Best not end up like mine and just sticking when in operation!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
F30AM, time to visit the dealer. Best not end up like mine and just sticking when in operation!
Somehow, yesterday, all by itself, it worked a treat. However, it does not stay activated in auto mode all of the time.