F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > GAP / TYRE Insurance
GetBMWParts

04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

GAP / TYRE Insurance

I obtained a quote from car2Cover for tyre insurance that is due to expire.
My car not ready until end of April.

I have now been told by Car2Cover that the Insurance companies have changed their criteria and you can only get tyre insurance along with Gap Insurance.

Anyone went with Car2Cover?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Have you tried an online ala.co.uk quote?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If they're now saying they wont sell you GAP without Tyre and vice versa, then that's a new one on me. I got quotes from car2cover last year but ended up going with BMW as they matched the quotes I had (instead of the default rip-off price)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
If they're now saying they wont sell you GAP without Tyre and vice versa, then that's a new one on me. I got quotes from car2cover last year but ended up going with BMW as they matched the quotes I had (instead of the default rip-off price)
Just be sure to check the amount covered. I was given a matching quote only to later notice that the Ala cover was for £25K max payout but the BMW cover was £10K payout. Luckily I was well within the cooling off period.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
gavmobile
Rep
Drives: V70 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
You can have GAP without tyre but not Tyre without GAP. I was shopping around yesterday and they all seem to have this rule now - same underwriter maybe

How does one calculate how much gap cover is needed? I was getting quotes on the basis of £25k cover as a guess but no point being under or over covered is there.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmobile View Post
You can have GAP without tyre but not Tyre without GAP. I was shopping around yesterday and they all seem to have this rule now - same underwriter maybe

How does one calculate how much gap cover is needed? I was getting quotes on the basis of £25k cover as a guess but no point being under or over covered is there.
The Sytner GAP is unlimited value. Started off wanting £800 but ended up at £295 for 3 years cover (10 months interest free credit too) - in practice 2 years as my insurers will replace the car for a new one in 1st year if damage is over 50% of the cars value.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmobile View Post

£25k seems way over the top for GAP, but as you never know exactly how much you need at the worst GAP period, you just accept the figure. The fact that it doesn't cost much more for £25k cover over lower amounts, leads me to believe that they don't usually have to pay out to the larger amounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Slightly off topic but here's a little story if anyone still baulks at GAP after getting hold of a £20/30/40k motor.

I had an employee who took one of our company Peugeot vans home one night because he'd got an early start the next morning. As it happened he had a skin full, got into a row with his other half and went out in our van. He was spotted and chased by the police and he promptly crashed the van and got locked up. He obviously lost his job, was convicted and spent some time in Doncaster nick.

The van was an 18 month old Peugeot Expert and it was written off. After much wrangling with the insurance company we still came up over £2k short of what was owed to the finance company. And no point pursuing the ex-employee, that would be a waste of time. What I remember most is talking to the young CS advisor at Peugeot contract hire. She asked if we had GAP and I said no. So I asked if she had it on her vehicle. Her reply was "Yes because I spend all day talking to people like you who haven't"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
£25k seems way over the top for GAP, but as you never know exactly how much you need at the worst GAP period, you just accept the figure. The fact that it doesn't cost much more for £25k cover over lower amounts, leads me to believe that they don't usually have to pay out to the larger amounts.
It all becomes relevant in later years. A replacement car policy covering up to £25K over 3 years is around the £200 mark. If your £40K+ car was written off towards the end of that period you may only be getting £20K from the insurance. Assuming the equivalent spec car is £45K by that time, the £25K limit would be what was needed.

Obviously the above is the scenario in which the maximum payment would be made by the policy, but it does ensure peace of mind. As you say, that level of payout is only to be needed rarely, but for the relatively modest increase in the premium, why take the chance with anything less?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
It all becomes relevant in later years. A replacement car policy covering up to £25K over 3 years is around the £200 mark. If your £40K+ car was written off towards the end of that period you may only be getting £20K from the insurance. Assuming the equivalent spec car is £45K by that time, the £25K limit would be what was needed.

Obviously the above is the scenario in which the maximum payment would be made by the policy, but it does ensure peace of mind. As you say, that level of payout is only to be needed rarely, but for the relatively modest increase in the premium, why take the chance with anything less?
Wasn't the point of GAP that normally this would be to cover the difference between the value offered by the insurer and the outstanding finance? Therefore, you have a £40k car, prang it within 2 years and get offered £20k for the car that has £30k of finance, thus needing the £10k "gap".

The newer policies reinstate to a variety of points, including invoice value (for the entire duration of the policy) or the price of an equivalent car (even if BMW have put up their prices by a stupid amount).

The question I had when disposing of my nearly 3 year old Jag (with "return to invoice value" GAP on it) was... if I'm dishonest, I stage a prang to the car and my insurer gives me the current value (£20k) plus £24k to get back to the invoice price, whereas as an honest bloke, I sell the car to a dealer for £20k and end up potless.

I can see why insurance fraud is on the rise!!!

(ps: Having previously worked in insurance and currently in the banking and fraud industries, I ended up potless! )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post
... you have a £40k car, prang it within 2 years and get offered £20k for the car ...
From what I can gather the BMW residuals are much better than that. I think it would only come down to 20k from a 40 start after at least 3 years - 4 if you're kind to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
From what I can gather the BMW residuals are much better than that. I think it would only come down to 20k from a 40 start after at least 3 years - 4 if you're kind to the car.
Or unless you spec the car with lots of expensive toys? D'oh!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post
Or unless you spec the car with lots of expensive toys? D'oh!
Yeah sadly the finance companies insist that very few things add value to the car long term. I disagree - you can see it in the sold prices of cars that many types of extra make them more desirable.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Yeah sadly the finance companies insist that very few things add value to the car long term. I disagree - you can see it in the sold prices of cars that many types of extra make them more desirable.
Ah, finance companies and the real world ... if only!
Appreciate 0