F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help with disconnecting negative battery terminal
ARMA SPEED

04-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
JPinky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Help with disconnecting negative battery terminal

How exactly do you disconnect the negative battery terminal? I'm installing the BMS JB stage 1 and have been pulling and shimmying the plastic connector on the cable that connects to the negative part but it won't budge. Am I supposed to remove the nut and take off the entire metal part that the plastic connector is connected to? Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinky View Post
Am I supposed to remove the nut and take off the entire metal part that the plastic connector is connected to? Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks
To disconnect, loosen the nut, pull up on the metal "ring" connector part that makes the connection to the terminal, slide a piece of cloth in between to prevent a connection being made. Done..

To connect, remove cloth, place metal "ring" connector back on terminal of battery making a connection again, tighten nut. Done..

Make sure it's the negative terminal
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
How exactly do you disconnect the negative battery terminal? I'm installing the BMS JB stage 1 and have been pulling and shimmying the plastic connector on the cable that connects to the negative part but it won't budge. Am I supposed to remove the nut and take off the entire metal part that the plastic connector is connected to? Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks
Please report back on how it turns out and if you notice any major gains
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
JPinky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey
Quote:
Am I supposed to remove the nut and take off the entire metal part that the plastic connector is connected to? Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks
To disconnect, loosen the nut, pull up on the metal "ring" connector part that makes the connection to the terminal, slide a piece of cloth in between to prevent a connection being made. Done..

To connect, remove cloth, place metal "ring" connector back on terminal of battery making a connection again, tighten nut. Done..

Make sure it's the negative terminal
Thanks! I'll post some thoughts after I try it out.
Appreciate 0