F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pro Media Package gripes
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Pro Media Package gripes

Guys

I have only just got round to having a proper play with the professional media generally im happy with it however i'm not too impressed with the following:

1) Connected drive function, in particular BMW online office section. It claims you can log into your emails from apple icloud, gmail etc, Great! i have an icloud and gmail account, but can i log into them? can i heck! just keeps saying that username/password is incorrect which i know is complete B.S!

2) Internet google front page is in German! drives me round the bend as i have to fanny around to get the UK version

3) There is a message function in the office section, but there is no guidance of how to get the function working. I have an Iphone 5 BTW

4)Still no avail on streaming video (when stationary with handbrake up) from the usb even when i purchased new stick, no option of video in the other media tab. I have f31 pro nav

The above does not affect my overall enjoyment of the car but im beginning to think whether the additional outlay for the pro nav was worth it! Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Im also going to contact the BMW tech guy at my local stealer to have a bit of a run through of the features.

Ta
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

1) I have to say I haven't tried. I use a Nexus 4 and not an iPhone so most office functions I believe are out for me. Could be wrong though...

2) Same for me. Though I can log in to my Google account which at least seems to change German to English. I have to admit I haven't used it in anger though. It's just a fancy gadget imo.

3) The only messages I use in that section are when I've sent addresses from Google Maps. Again no iPhone so not sure what I can/can't do there.

4) Now this certainly works on mine. I can access any video stored on a USB. Try those bonus mp4 videos you get when you by a 'Deluxe' album from iTunes. Or I've got some ripped mp4 movies that work perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply. tried setting up accounts on the BWM website but again it doesnt work.

Could you send over screen shot of the other media tab with the video function on (ideally with something playing on the screen)? that would be appreciated and it something i can beat BMW round head with. I assume you have not coded it?

I forgot to add what format is your mem stick? Fat 32 or the other one?

Last edited by jimboss; 04-12-2013 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

BMW UK are really poor with dealing with problems and iDrive.

They will tell you iPhones and the Office features are not supported. A dealer even told me that I cannot get emails from my iPhone on iDrive. This is a complete load of nonsense.

You can set up iDrive with your iPhone to receive all text messages and emails (and have been able to since July last year).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
BMW UK are really poor with dealing with problems and iDrive.

They will tell you iPhones and the Office features are not supported. A dealer even told me that I cannot get emails from my iPhone on iDrive. This is a complete load of nonsense.

You can set up iDrive with your iPhone to receive all text messages and emails (and have been able to since July last year).
what mail accounts are you using that work? icloud?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
what mail accounts are you using that work? icloud?
All mail accounts.

Here's the guide I used:

Quote:
1. Update to latest iDrive software (via website and USB or Settings on iDrive)

2. On the iDrive go to Telephone > Configure Bluetooth and turn on Office.

3. On the iDrive go to Menu and select Office > Messages > and select All messages to be displayed.

4. On the iPhone go to Settings > Messages and make sure Messages are set to Send and Receive.

5. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Messages and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. I haven't tested every combination for the notification settings, but I have mine set as follows.
- Notification Center is On
- Show 5 Recent Items
- Alert Style is Banners
- Badge App Icon is On
- Show Preview is On
- View in Lock Screen is On

6. On the iPhone go to Settings > Notifications > Mail and make sure notifications are on, and set to View in Lock Screen. Settings are same as number 5.

7. On the iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > and click on the BMW blue arrow link and make sure Show Notifications is selected.

8. To see the messages in the car your phone must be in the locked screen mode - so to test, send an email or text from another phone or computer.
It only works on new incoming emails (i.e. it doesn't download all your existing emails)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Bit of an update:

- Andy...thanks for your input, its appreciated but i tried your approach but to no avail...it turns out from review of BMW site that the iphone 5 has f*** All compatibility with the idrive office functions other than making calls. Blackberry on the other hand has full functionality

- BMW tech guys with that i cannot get video via the usb because i haven't got option 6NF (telephone USB audio interface). For the guys who can use video do you have this option installed??

- As for the connected drive mobile office compatibility, they are stumped and the car is going in on the 26/4 for a review

To be fair the BMW guy was quite helpful over the phone and is going to do some homework in the interim. If anyone else as tried to use or is using the mobile office function let me know.

Does make me wonder why i bothered with the pro media at times.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Bit of an update:

- Andy...thanks for your input, its appreciated but i tried your approach but to no avail...it turns out from review of BMW site that the iphone 5 has f*** All compatibility with the idrive office functions other than making calls. Blackberry on the other hand has full functionality
The BMW site is wrong - it just hasn't been updated.

Have you tried updating your iDrive bluetooth firmware from here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp ?

Can you stream music from your iPhone to iDrive ok?

It definitely works (as per http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=43)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Andy

yes i can stream music via bluetooth no probs.

Just installed the update...haven't tried it out yet. Once ive finished a few things i'll give it a go and check a few more things in accordance with that x3 link.

I'll let you know
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
The BMW Connected Drive email function caught me out at first until I figured out that all the configuration is done thru the BMW website. Works a treat now, but yes - spent ages bashing in my Gmail and iCloud user ids/passwords into the car until I twigged it. Basic idea is that the BMW service acts as an aggregator and that's what you connect to, you don't connect to iCloud or Gmail directly from iDrive (not very clear from iDrive though).

That said, reading email via iDrive is way too painful. Given that I almost always have my phone on me it's easier to do it on the phone.

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 04-12-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
The BMW Connected Drive email function caught me out at first until I figured out that all the configuration is done thru the BMW website. Works a treat now, but yes - spent ages bashing in my Gmail and iCloud user ids/passwords until I twigged it. Basic idea is that the BMW service acts as an aggregator and that's what you connect to, you don't connect to iCloud or Gmail directly (not very clear from iDrive though).

That said, reading email via iDrive is way too painful. Given that I almost always have my phone on me it's easier to do it on the phone.
Really useful that
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
The BMW Connected Drive email function caught me out at first until I figured out that all the configuration is done thru the BMW website. Works a treat now, but yes - spent ages bashing in my Gmail and iCloud user ids/passwords until I twigged it. Basic idea is that the BMW service acts as an aggregator and that's what you connect to, you don't connect to iCloud or Gmail directly (not very clear from iDrive though).

I have tried this on both my accounts but it comes up with connection error. your right its alot easier on the phone, but it drives me bonkers if things dont work when there is no real reason why they don’t work especially as you have paid for the privilege of the service. I will keep trying but if i have no luck hopefully BMW have on the 26/4
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

You can configure it from I drive but the iluser name and password are your connected drive details. I too cant get hotmail to configure the outgoing mail server. But the recueve works great abd I have no intention on sending any emails from I drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
The BMW site is wrong - it just hasn't been updated.

Have you tried updating your iDrive bluetooth firmware from here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp ?

Can you stream music from your iPhone to iDrive ok?

It definitely works (as per http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=43)
Right after much tweaking just got this function to work! Thanks for the help Andy!

As for the mobile office, I think I now have the iCloud account working- well it didn't come up with a connection error this time using the bmw connected drive web site! So it's a start, I'll try putting this into practice tomorrow as the wife is getting the hump that I spent a fair chunk of the evening on the Laptop and in the motor!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

from initial observations this morning the bluetooth text and mail functions now seem to work, as well as the mobile office function (on iCloud)! i'll give a further report in the next few days and let you know if i have any further issues (fingers crossed i won't)

Big thanks for all your help and suggestions, without it i would still be tearing my hair out! looks like i can cancel the BMW appointment!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #16
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Glad you got it sorted. Have to say this whole iDrive/Office/Connected Drive thing is really badly documented and the dealers don't seem to have much idea so it's up to owners to experiment and find out what works and what doesn't (and how)

While I can get email OK thru BMW Connected Drive, I can't get emails to show up under Messages in the Office function which would actually be a bit more convenient (fewer clicks to get there). Also SMS messages will sometimes appear and sometimes be completely ignored. Maybe Microsoft helped BMW with the iDrive software?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #17
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Bit of an update:

- BMW tech guys with that i cannot get video via the usb because i haven't got option 6NF (telephone USB audio interface). For the guys who can use video do you have this option installed??

- As for the connected drive mobile office compatibility, they are stumped and the car is going in on the 26/4 for a review

To be fair the BMW guy was quite helpful over the phone and is going to do some homework in the interim. If anyone else as tried to use or is using the mobile office function let me know.

Does make me wonder why i bothered with the pro media at times.

Thanks
I have the 6NF option but i thought it came bundled with the Pro Media Pack or the BMW Apps option, as i never chose it. I can play Vids, but i had to code my car to allow all video types to play... It could be the same with yours???
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #18
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
I have the 6NF option but i thought it came bundled with the Pro Media Pack or the BMW Apps option, as i never chose it. I can play Vids, but i had to code my car to allow all video types to play... It could be the same with yours???
i dont have the app's function, and when i got pro media i thought i had this 6nf feature (i don't event know if it was an extra option when i specced the car). What's annoying is the complete lack of dealer knowledge and no explanation on the build site that clearly sets out what each option actually can do! if i cannot get it to work i'm not going to lose any sleep over it as i hardly play the DVD i have in the car. Be interested if anyone else plays video without the 6NF
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
What's annoying is the complete lack of dealer knowledge and no explanation on the build site that clearly sets out what each option actually can do!
It does seem a shame that salesman are more interested in making sales rather than providing information about the product they are selling to help the buyer make the right choice on options.

I remember when I bought my car and spec'd additional 12v sockets. I asked the salesman where these sockets were in the car and he did not have a clue. After asking him repeatedly he eventually went and asked someone as I was going out of the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #20
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
i dont have the app's function, and when i got pro media i thought i had this 6nf feature (i don't event know if it was an extra option when i specced the car). What's annoying is the complete lack of dealer knowledge and no explanation on the build site that clearly sets out what each option actually can do! if i cannot get it to work i'm not going to lose any sleep over it as i hardly play the DVD i have in the car. Be interested if anyone else plays video without the 6NF
My dealer said an iPhone 5 wouldn't work at all with the Office function with the Pro Media but if I changed to a Blackberry then everything would work perfectly !

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Right after much tweaking just got this function to work! Thanks for the help Andy!

As for the mobile office, I think I now have the iCloud account working- well it didn't come up with a connection error this time using the bmw connected drive web site! So it's a start, I'll try putting this into practice tomorrow as the wife is getting the hump that I spent a fair chunk of the evening on the Laptop and in the motor!
How do you register with iCloud email for a new user ? Is it the old mobile Me ?

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
How do you register with iCloud email for a new user ? Is it the old mobile Me ?
Yep, MobileMe morphed into iCloud. You need an Apple ID to use iCloud - you should be able to create one here.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0