2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs dust under car paint

04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

dust under car paint

guys, I just have my front bumper re-sprayed because someone hit my front bumper badly so it made crack and dent. I took my car to the body shop to get paint again. when it is done, there is much dust under the paint. i brought my car again to the body shop to do paint again but they do not want because they said that it is normal (what? seriously?). they gave me some suggestions to bring my car to the detailing shop so the dust can be gone if they used wet sanding and polised. is that true? what should I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

If you aren't happy with the quality of the work, I hope you haven't paid the shop in full. Dirt in paint is not normal and it fact is one of the top defects in many automobile paint departments.

If the dirt is in the clear, wetsanding may help the problem significantly. If your shop agrees to pay the detailer, under the presumption that they repaint the bumper if you are still not satisfied, that might not be a bad thing to try.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i think the dirt is in the clear coat. i am just afraid if it cannot be cleaned. i am planning to repaint the bumper again without paying them again because i am not statisfied with it. i will take a photo of it and upload it here. how can i say if the the dirt is in the clear or not? because i can feel the dirt inside when i touch it. the dirt is not at the one place, it is one the differentplace and there is so much of them.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Are you sure this isn't overspray? I've seen this quite frequently where there is overspray on the basecoat which is then cleared over. No amount of wetsanding will fix this without sanding to the basecoat and then re-clearing.

While common, this isn't acceptable (IMO) or a sign of a quality job. The shop should repair this; you shouldn't have to spend more money with someone else to fix a job they didn't do properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeahh, you are right. I should not pay the. I tried to tell him to repaint it again but they just said to bring my car to the detailer. I just dont know what i should do now. Any recommend? They said i could do wet sanding to solve it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Once again, your car should be "right" when you pick it up and pay for the repair. If it isn't "right", then the only leverage you have is to not pay for the repair.

So have you paid for your repair? If your repair shop is paying for the detailer, give it a go and then get the bumper re-painted if it still doesn't meet your expectations.
Appreciate 0