E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HiFi better than Logic 7??? Is that the common experience?

04-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
RunsWithScissors
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport F25

HiFi better than Logic 7??? Is that the common experience?

I recently came out of leased 2009 E92 335i, pre-LCI, but equipped with the CIC iDrive and Logic 7. I could never get the Logic 7 to sound right despite trying numerous EQ settings, including Malek's. The treble was was washed out, the bass was weak, and the EQ was pretty much useless.

I just leased 2012 E92 M Sport 328i. I drove it for a month listening to sports talk radio, then decided to plug in my iPod. I was in shock. The sound system sounded better than any of the Logic 7's I owned. Clarity in all ranges was improved, separation was excellent. I pulled out my Mulroney sheet and was amazed that my car was equipped with the lowly HiFi system, with less speakers, less power, and no EQ.

Is that a common experience? Is the L7 in the E90/E92 that bad or is it possible that L7 in my 335i was defective? Or is the HiFi system simply a better fit for the E92 interior?

It the Logic 7 just another useless option?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

L7 is the best sound car audio I have ever heard, other than the Bose system in Mercedes S-class

My L7 is not iDrive, that may be the issue
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The MY2011.5-on HiFi is slightly improved (better OEM amp) over the pre-MY2010 HiFi systems (no HiFi system between MY2010 and MY2011).

Other than that, the Logic7 sounds simply better overall than the HiFi. Your problem may be that you like boomy bass. The HiFi is boomy and Logic7 isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asawadude View Post
I recently came out of leased 2009 E92 335i, pre-LCI, but equipped with the CIC iDrive and Logic 7. I could never get the Logic 7 to sound right despite trying numerous EQ settings, including Malek's. The treble was was washed out, the bass was weak, and the EQ was pretty much useless.

I just leased 2012 E92 M Sport 328i. I drove it for a month listening to sports talk radio, then decided to plug in my iPod. I was in shock. The sound system sounded better than any of the Logic 7's I owned. Clarity in all ranges was improved, separation was excellent. I pulled out my Mulroney sheet and was amazed that my car was equipped with the lowly HiFi system, with less speakers, less power, and no EQ.

Is that a common experience? Is the L7 in the E90/E92 that bad or is it possible that L7 in my 335i was defective? Or is the HiFi system simply a better fit for the E92 interior?

It the Logic 7 just another useless option?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
L7 is the best sound car audio I have ever heard, other than the Bose system in Mercedes S-class

The Logic7 OEM amp inputs are digital -regardless of source (iDrive or Professional Radio).

There are no better data bits, it will be either a "0" or a "1".
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post

+100

I have the I-drive, LOGIC 7 and EQ SETTINGS. I have a coupe so it all depends, but let me tell you; the L7 didnt win awards for nothing so I heard. When I got my new 08 335i, I found the 2 subwoofer (coupe) were so f'in strong. Strong but clear, so I just adjusted the EQ, lowered bass and adjusted treble. Only downfall, it has 3 auto settings if u don't want to use your own EQ; one is concert and sorry I forgot the other 2 but I beleive they should of added more preset EQ options like Electronic, Jazz etc. but, there's a work around, I use my iPhone EQ through the AUX and all is fantastic.

To put it shortly, I have NEVER turned my volume up to 100% otherwise I would look like thouse idiots on the traffic light pumping there Sub's away thinking they will get more pussy then, unfortunately they will get bad looks from everyone around them and I'm
Sure they think- what a pri$k.

Logic 7 is one of the most expensive and delicately sound system you could ask
For. If your having problems tuning the EQ, then it's your fault I'm afraid( no offense). Then again you have the hifi so I. An not
Comment in this regard.

Suggestions, always use a CD to fiddle around as the quality is sharp, park your car and start testing diff EQ settings. With the L7 the bass ESP on a coupe is very very hard and drones out the treble. Try reducing bass and adjusting treble.

Best of luck and enjoy your car....it's a piece of art regardless of the sound system.

Kind regards,
BB

Last edited by Bavarian Black; 04-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Forgot to mention. Another downfall, my iPhone will not pair with the logic 7 Bluetooth. I assume bc the iPhone has security parameters or bc it wasn't made yet in late 07. BlackB works fine.

If anybody knows a work around. Do post please.

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
RunsWithScissors
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The MY2011.5-on HiFi is slightly improved (better OEM amp) over the pre-MY2010 HiFi systems (no HiFi system between MY2010 and MY2011).

Other than that, the Logic7 sounds simply better overall than the HiFi. Your problem may be that you like boomy bass. The HiFi is boomy and Logic7 isn't.
No, I'm not a bass guy. I listen to primarily jazz, mostly vocals, fusion, bop; music that needs accurate mids and highs. The majority of my iPod music is AAC loseless converted from FLAC rips, so my test music was based on accurately rendered tracks, but I could never get it to sound right at any volume level.

It's entirely possible the L7 amp in my 335i was bad and I probably should have had the BMW service department look at it.

That being said, I've now had 2 Logic7 equipped BMW's, and they are not close to being among the best stereo system's I've heard. The M3 premium sound system and Audi's current B&O system are far better. The best I've heard thus far is the Burmester system in the Porsche Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That being said, I've now had 2 Logic7 equipped BMW's, and they are not close to being among the best stereo system's I've heard. The M3 premium sound system and Audi's current B&O system are far better. The best I've heard thus far is the Burmester system in the Porsche Cayenne.
yes the M3 premium package after
2010 has an excellent sound system. Lots of options that L7 doesn't have and much more defined and clear.

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Lotts of examples of audiophile systems here.

Obviouly BMW isn't paying for 500 dollars for 4 inch speakers sets
and the fact they only allocated 4 inch holes for speakers says
something about what happened to there priority's for stereo.
Looks like swoopy doors and useless map holder was higher on
there list.
Still most people would be quite happy with and L7 system.
If the Hi Fi system would have been a little better I wouldn't have been
able to justify and upgrade. The HK upgrade in my E46 was one
of the best stock systems I ever had. It was the only one I didn't want to rip out immediately.

The bass was almost non existent from my Hi Fi even when I biased the fader foward, though that did help a little, and I am not hung up on bass .

Last edited by ctuna; 04-12-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
fares52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I haven't heard an L7 but I'm pretty satisfied with the sound quality of my hifi system. I just wish the darn thing came with Bluetooth and Sat Radio
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
No, I'm not a bass guy. I listen to primarily jazz, mostly vocals, fusion, bop; music that needs accurate mids and highs. The majority of my iPod music is AAC loseless converted from FLAC rips, so my test music was based on accurately rendered tracks, but I could never get it to sound right at any volume level.
I've heard
-BMW base system
-Hi-fi
-L7
-Hi-fi ---> JL amps and audiophile drivers
-Hi-fi ---> MS-8 ---> amps ---> audiophile drivers.

Now priorities differ for different people. I must say that L7 is excellent sound system, but not for me. Same goes with the MS-8 based sound system. I like stereo sound system and I always liked hi-fi ----> JL amps. It sound excellent as OP has mentioned. Sound stage brilliant and bass spot on.
When I compared it to, hi-fi---> MS-8 ---> amps ---> audiophile drivers, I found bass to be boomy on that system and owner admitted it.

No how to take hi-fi forward with the time alignment? I went for P99RS which has given me best results out of all those kits which are mentioned above.
As said earlier, we all are different. My friend who has MS-8 sound system (L7) did not like my system as central speaker was missing and vice versa.

We all are different and best sound system for one may not be the same for the other.
      04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
Obviouly BMW isn't paying for 500 dollars for 4 inch speakers sets
and the fact they only allocated 4 inch holes for speakers says
something about what happened to there priority's for stereo.
Looks like swoopy doors and useless map holder was higher on
there list.
Still most people would be quite happy with and L7 system.
If the Hi Fi system would have been a little better I wouldn't have been
able to justify and upgrade. The HK upgrade in my E46 was one
of the best stock systems I ever had. It was the only one I didn't want to rip out immediately.

The bass was almost non existent from my Hi Fi even when I biased the fader foward, though that did help a little, and I am not hung up on bass .
Dude a 4" driver when you have dedicated mid bass is ideal
Appreciate 0