E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Engine Problem

04-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

E90 Engine Problem

Hi everyone.

I got a E90 330i with 131k miles on it. Today when I start my car I smelled a burning smell from my engine. When I open the hood I saw a little white smoke came out of under the cover. But after little bit it stopped.

Is this engine oil leaking? I checked my system it shows oil level still good. I went online and they said it needs to replace the valve cover.

Here's some pics to give you guys a better look. Sorry English is not my first language can't get a better description. But what should I do? Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya that might be valve cover gasket. Pretty surprising @ 131k I think cause im close and have no leaks. Heads up take all that off and also look into spark plug holes you may have leaks there too and have to get those plugs out to clean them with coils. Hopefully it didnt leak in there.
      04-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

valve cover leaking most likely due to broken bolts. known issue on early N52
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Ya that might be valve cover gasket. Pretty surprising @ 131k I think cause im close and have no leaks. Heads up take all that off and also look into spark plug holes you may have leaks there too and have to get those plugs out to clean them with coils. Hopefully it didnt leak in there.
Thanks man. Yeah I will check both of them and I also heard that this happen is pretty common for those over 100k bmw's. Hopefully just the valve cover problem. Otherwise I have to spend other $100~200 on coils
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
valve cover leaking most likely due to broken bolts. known issue on early N52
Thanks! So do you think replace the valve cover will stop leaking?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan330i View Post
Thanks! So do you think replace the valve cover will stop leaking?
It definitely wont stop till you replace that gasket for valve cover and maybe those bolts if they did break. I personally have not heard of that happening on N52's.

Should be really easy fix for DIY just gotta take everything off top, I havent done it myself on E90 but I have on E46 I used to have.

Gasket is right under valve cover btw, Shouldnt have to replace cover itself specially on N52 motor on old E46 it was plastic so sometimes you did have to on those.
      04-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It definitely wont stop till you replace that gasket for valve cover and maybe those bolts if they did break. I personally have not heard of that happening on N52's.

Should be really easy fix for DIY just gotta take everything off top, I havent done it myself on E90 but I have on E46 I used to have.

Gasket is right under valve cover btw, Shouldnt have to replace cover itself specially on N52 motor on old E46 it was plastic so sometimes you did have to on those.
ok I may just order a new sets of valve cover gasket and bolts. Really hope it will stop...

Another thing I worry about is if it stop leaking how can I clean up all the oil it leaked, if I just leave it there is the oil gonna damage the engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

No it wont do any damage but I would (with engine cold) Use degreaser like Simple green and spray everything that got oil on it and spray it off with water maybe use cloth too. And if that much leaked on just starting it in morning one time I probably wouldnt drive it. But thats up to you.

Just make sure you do some research on DIY section here if there is valve cover gasket replacement DIY, Cause it sounds like you havent done it before so you have little guide.
      04-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No it wont do any damage but I would (with engine cold) Use degreaser like Simple green and spray everything that got oil on it and spray it off with water maybe use cloth too. And if that much leaked on just starting it in morning one time I probably wouldnt drive it. But thats up to you.

Just make sure you do some research on DIY section here if there is valve cover gasket replacement DIY, Cause it sounds like you havent done it before so you have little guide.
Yeah it's not that much, just got some on the line pipe and the board at the bottom. But I think it should be better if I can clean it up after I replaced it. Then I can be able to see if it still leaking or whatever happen there...

I will do more research on it and I really never done it before. And thanks so much for the support!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan330i View Post
Yeah it's not that much, just got some on the line pipe and the board at the bottom. But I think it should be better if I can clean it up after I replaced it. Then I can be able to see if it still leaking or whatever happen there...

I will do more research on it and I really never done it before. And thanks so much for the support!
No problem fellow 330'er, If there is no Valve cover gasket DIY try looking for spark plug replacement and then you just gotta work your way from there. Maybe post a diy on this thread if you find one, Then should you have question regarding it we can help ya here.
      04-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
luan330i
Young Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem fellow 330'er, If there is no Valve cover gasket DIY try looking for spark plug replacement and then you just gotta work your way from there. Maybe post a diy on this thread if you find one, Then should you have question regarding it we can help ya here.
ok I will do that. And if I got any news I will post it here.

Thanks again man and I have to go sleep now, got school tomorow
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Mine was doing the same thing until I noticed sheared-off bolts. Replaced most of the bolts, with a lot of pain due to having to coax the broken bolts out of their holes without a head, and the leak stopped.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I have only seen a car with sheared bolts once, and that was because I think someone was trying to do the valve cover themselves and didn't know what they were doing so they brought it in to our shop. The bolts are aluminum and should be replaced for proper torque whenever the valve cover gasket is replaced.

This has been a routine job for any e90 with around 60-70k or more miles at our local service shop, on average once a month or so.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Yeap need VCG. I also need to get this replaced but mine is not that bad just yet. No smells or anything but bottom plastic cover its got some oil and eventually drips down to floor, not much just few drops here and there. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Yup Valve cover gasket is toast
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
I have only seen a car with sheared bolts once, and that was because I think someone was trying to do the valve cover themselves and didn't know what they were doing so they brought it in to our shop. The bolts are aluminum and should be replaced for proper torque whenever the valve cover gasket is replaced.

This has been a routine job for any e90 with around 60-70k or more miles at our local service shop, on average once a month or so.
Yeah I actually pulled my carfax today to see what recent shops post to carfax just so I know, Cause I want good service records on mine. Anyways I never noticed when I first bought it but my VCG was replaced at bmw dealer 50k miles. Which is good to know im gona run mine till 150k and do it myself unless I have problems sooner.