E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > OK to weld on "bolt-on" tips?

04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
OK to weld on "bolt-on" tips?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of running the muffler delete for a bit (please, no haters...I know it sucks, it's cheap, I'm a poor excuse for a man, I'm un-American, etc) and my buddy has offered to sell me tips similar to these for a decent price:

As you can see they are bolt on, but the design/quality actually looks quite good. They're dual 3.5" out and 2.5" in. I'm wondering if I take it to a shop, if they can fit them and weld them on without any issue. They do have a slit in the top middle between the bolt. Do you think they can fit them down on the pipe far enough to get a solid weld without any exhaust escaping between that gap? I mainly don't want any whistling or any weird rattling. And I know very little about welding.

If these are too iffy, I can definitely go with other tips. I just figured they looked good, and if I could help a friend out and get a decent deal on them, it'd be the way to go. He's a mechanic and somehow acquired the set. Also, for the record, I won't be running "quads," but he said he'd give me both sets of tips. So, I'll probably try to sell the other side on here for cheap, if there's any interest.
      04-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Check out Dimisa tips. I'll be doing quads with their 3.5" silver tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Check out Dimisa tips. I'll be doing quads with their 3.5" silver tips.

So totally NOT answering the OP's question.

Any muffler shop worth a damn can weld those tips on for you and also weld up any holes/gaps to avoid exhaust leaks.

PM me your asking price for the 2nd set of tips. I met be interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

^ honestly didn't know why someone couldn't google and ask that question. Thought it was a stupid question and passed it to answer the other one.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
So totally NOT answering the OP's question.

Any muffler shop worth a damn can weld those tips on for you and also weld up any holes/gaps to avoid exhaust leaks.

PM me your asking price for the 2nd set of tips. I met be interested.
Thanks for your answer! I'm not sure how I managed to anger the other poster with my "stupid question," but that's how the Internet works, I guess. When googling "weld on tips that are bolt on," I got nothing helpful. Making a post on here is usually my last resort, as googling and searching on the forum doesn't require a flame suit.

I'll shoot you a PM with a price, once I can get them from my buddy. I'm going to run by a couple shops and try to see what install prices will run. here in KC, it seems like every shop is scared to death to touch a BMW because everyone else drives huge SUVs and trucks. I couldn't even find a place who would mount tires on my 19s for a decent price. Everyone wanted $200 or more just to mount tires! ugh. And the one place I did find ended up scratching two of my rims! Sometimes I miss the stress-free life of owning a 1990 Toyota Celica GTS.

Anyway, I digress. thanks again, for your help. I'll PM you before posting the other set up for sale on here.
      04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
Thanks for your answer! I'm not sure how I managed to anger the other poster with my "stupid question," but that's how the Internet works, I guess. When googling "weld on tips that are bolt on," I got nothing helpful. Making a post on here is usually my last resort, as googling and searching on the forum doesn't require a flame suit.

I'll shoot you a PM with a price, once I can get them from my buddy. I'm going to run by a couple shops and try to see what install prices will run. here in KC, it seems like every shop is scared to death to touch a BMW because everyone else drives huge SUVs and trucks. I couldn't even find a place who would mount tires on my 19s for a decent price. Everyone wanted $200 or more just to mount tires! ugh. And the one place I did find ended up scratching two of my rims! Sometimes I miss the stress-free life of owning a 1990 Toyota Celica GTS.

Anyway, I digress. thanks again, for your help. I'll PM you before posting the other set up for sale on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

On my other car, the exhaust came with bolt on tips. To weld them, the shop just removed the section that clamped on. This left them with more than enough lip to weld onto the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
On my other car, the exhaust came with bolt on tips. To weld them, the shop just removed the section that clamped on. This left them with more than enough lip to weld onto the pipe.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks!!