E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Undo alpina tcu?

04-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
msall
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Undo alpina tcu?

Just flashed the alpina b3 software into my TCU yesterday. Although I love it for the most part! I noticed today a hesitation shifting from 3rd into 4th. This hesitation was not there before the flash. Im hoping that the car is still learning the proper shift patterns but I would like to know if its possible to revert back to stock just in case the problem doesn't go away after a few days. Anyone got any ideas?

-M Sall
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

I'm curious as well. How does the flash feel besides the 3rd to 4th hick-up?
      04-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
msall
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Car feels completely different in my opinion. In D the shifts are quick and smooth. It almost feels like the tranny was swapped out with a DCT. I have not put the car in DS or M yet but so far im pretty pleased with it besides that one hick up.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e91

Sure it is possible to back to the previous software.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

the hesitation comes from adaption, where the transmission realizes it cannot give you those insanely fast shifts without compromising longevity.

the only fix is a zip kit, new solenoids, and a fluid/filter change
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
the hesitation comes from adaption, where the transmission realizes it cannot give you those insanely fast shifts without compromising longevity.

the only fix is a zip kit, new solenoids, and a fluid/filter change
Where do you get the compromising of longevity?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no hiccups from 3 to 4 shifts and this might be an isolated issue because I have not felt that hiccup since the flash nor the people that I have flashed over to Alpina
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msall View Post
Just flashed the alpina b3 software into my TCU yesterday. Although I love it for the most part! I noticed today a hesitation shifting from 3rd into 4th. This hesitation was not there before the flash. Im hoping that the car is still learning the proper shift patterns but I would like to know if its possible to revert back to stock just in case the problem doesn't go away after a few days. Anyone got any ideas?

-M Sall
Yes you can go back to OEM software without issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

OP drive it around in DS and M mode see if 3-4 is a problem. Also you did not list any engine mods, this flash is for a bit more TQ/HP so it may seem a little rougher than stock under light loads.

Put a few 100 miles on it under more aggressive throttle and see. If there is a problem quite few other things could be going on (low fluid for example). This is the flash Alpina uses for the dead stock OEM tranny to mate up with their more powerful motor so idea of needing your tranny internals rebuilt just because of it is not supported by fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
xtrackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
OP drive it around in DS and M mode see if 3-4 is a problem. Also you did not list any engine mods, this flash is for a bit more TQ/HP so it may seem a little rougher than stock under light loads.

Put a few 100 miles on it under more aggressive throttle and see. If there is a problem quite few other things could be going on (low fluid for example). This is the flash Alpina uses for the dead stock OEM tranny to mate up with their more powerful motor so idea of needing your tranny internals rebuilt just because of it is not supported by fact.
I've been experiencing a jerk every now and then when upshifting. I've been driving in D mostly since the flash. Will be doing what you said for the next couple hundred miles.

We'll see.

When coming to a stop in M, us it supposed to stop in M1 or M2? Mine stops in M2. Just wondering what's normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Tranny has always stopped in M2, before and after. It does go to S1 @ stops now, though it is hard to tell if that is different since we did not have gear display before in D or S.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
xtrackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Tranny has always stopped in M2, before and after. It does go to S1 @ stops now, though it is hard to tell if that is different since we did not have gear display before in D or S.
Thanks. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive.

I'm a conservative driver with moments of brief insanity. I love D mode and am only now discovering S and M mode. I think I am expecting the smoothness of D mode in S and M mode.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This flash makes the tranny start in M1 instead of M2?! Really not a fan of that since first gear is useless in my car and I really like that the car stays in M2 at stops.
      04-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
There is no hiccups from 3 to 4 shifts and this might be an isolated issue because I have not felt that hiccup since the flash nor the people that I have flashed over to Alpina
Good to know thanks. I think the member having these hiccups is stock anyways.
      04-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This flash makes the tranny start in M1 instead of M2?! Really not a fan of that since first gear is useless in my car and I really like that the car stays in M2 at stops.
Read much? It still starts in M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
msall
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good to know thanks. I think the member having these hiccups is stock anyways.
I had the cobb tune before the update. I uninstalled it a couple days before updating as a precautionary step. Currently the car is stock.

Quote:

Drove around in DS and S this morning and there was no hesitation everything was silky smooth. Put it into D and the problem was still there. I used V48.1 datens to update the car could it be that I need older daten files for it to work correctly with other modules? I am pretty sure the car hasnt been updated in awhile.

Quote:
Yes you can go back to OEM software without issues.
Searched to the ends of this forum and back and couldnt find anyone who has reverted back. Any idea on how one would go about downgrading?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had the cobb tune before the update. I uninstalled it a couple days before updating as a precautionary step. Currently the car is stock.

Drove around in DS and S this morning and there was no hesitation everything was silky smooth. Put it into D and the problem was still there. I used V48.1 datens to update the car could it be that I need older daten files for it to work correctly with other modules? I am pretty sure the car hasnt been updated in awhile.

Searched to the ends of this forum and back and couldnt find anyone who has reverted back. Any idea on how one would go about downgrading?
I only know of ONE PERSON that went back to oem flash after only 5 days on the Alpina flash...I was the one that flashed him back to his old software so you can rest assured this is possible. The reason why the person went back to stock was because he told me he didnt like the way D mode felt because he liked to go fast in D, and it was nothing like before which he said he liked. To each is their own but for the history of this flash he was the only one that I know of that actually felt the flash and wanted to revert back. He is one amongst many many thousands by now!

IMO whether modded or not if you dont like this Alpina flash, then you really dont understand what performance is... I for one never liked the jerkiness and the tendency for the tranny to kind of not know when to shift sometimes when you are going WOT...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
IMO whether modded or not if you dont like this Alpina flash, then you really dont understand what performance is... I for one never liked the jerkiness and the tendency for the tranny to kind of not know when to shift sometimes when you are going WOT...
This last thing is a very good point. I never knew what the OEM flash would do or when. Now the Alpina is predictable. It seems like it behaves exactly the same way all the time. Shifts up or down same point in S & D no matter what. This is in addition to shifting better and faster.

In order to drive fast with any sort of confidence driver inputs need to produce repeatable outputs. This is how you learn the car. Before it was like WTF is the TCU doing?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

One thing to ask is what year is your car, how many miles, and are you the original owner? Given there is nearly zero incidence of the issue you describe in other cars I wonder if there is an pre-existing issue with your tranny. As I said above low fluid level (from leaks whatever), bad mechatronic, etc are known issues that can cause poor shifting. Your tranny may just not be able to do what is commanded.

Hopefully it goes away but the point is if it doesn't and you do flash back that does not mean all is well, as maybe it wasn't to begin with.

edit: point is if it continues if it is under warranty flash it back and have the tranny looked at. If it is out of warranty flash it back or not but still have it looked at. Probably hundreds of these have been done and I can think of only one person reporting a hard shift that did not go away, over on the Board That Shall Not Be Named.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
msall
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I only know of ONE PERSON that went back to oem flash after only 5 days on the Alpina flash...I was the one that flashed him back to his old software so you can rest assured this is possible. The reason why the person went back to stock was because he told me he didnt like the way D mode felt because he liked to go fast in D, and it was nothing like before which he said he liked. To each is their own but for the history of this flash he was the only one that I know of that actually felt the flash and wanted to revert back. He is one amongst many many thousands by now!

Its not jerking around. Its more of a prolonged pause where the car just seems get confused. Its more like a full second before where the car disengages 3rd and locks onto 4th. Its a really bizarre feeling since the revs stay the same for such an extended period of time. Also now that the dash shows which gears is in engaged the car displays D4 way before the car is actually in 4th.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #21
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

No issues here , no jerking at all ... I drive 70 percent in S and M mode... And only in highway traffic jams in D mode
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #22
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its not jerking around. Its more of a prolonged pause where the car just seems get confused. Its more like a full second before where the car disengages 3rd and locks onto 4th. Its a really bizarre feeling since the revs stay the same for such an extended period of time. Also now that the dash shows which gears is in engaged the car displays D4 way before the car is actually in 4th.
that sounds like a problem with the transmission valve body, hardware not software
Appreciate 0