E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Centre speaker for MS-8 setup

04-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
littlep
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: E91 325iAT M-sport Individual

Garage List
Centre speaker for MS-8 setup

Hi all,

I have a BMW e91 with originally the hifi sound systen (code 676) and have already started to upgrade this system.

First step was to replace the OEM front speakers + underseats subs with the Gladen X-ION 200 speakers connected to the Mosconi One 4 amplifier. I was not satisfied with this set-up, mids and tweeters had a bit sharp sound in my ears, and replaced these with the Focal 100 krs, which I like a lot.

Now, its a clear and crisp sound but a bit 2D. So now, my plan is to replace the OEM amplifier with the JBL MS-8. The MS-8 will power rears (mids and tweets) and a centre speaker, and will give output to the Mosconi One 4 which powers the Focals and underseats subs.

Now for my question, what centre speaker should I choose? I really love the crisp sound of the Focal tweeters and do not want to ruin this sound.

Any idea about this one?
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/686/323/BSW-Front-Center-Channel-Midrange-Speaker-Upgrade-for-Logic7--HK-Equipped-BMWs/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I would not recommend the BSW one as it has no tweeter. Focal does make 4" coaxials, but not from the K2 Power line. If you're worried about timbre matching, then you could go with 1/2 of another 100KRS set. The tweeter you can put in the air vent next to the mid.
      04-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I would not recommend the BSW one as it has no tweeter. Focal does make 4" coaxials, but not from the K2 Power line. If you're worried about timbre matching, then you could go with 1/2 of another 100KRS set. The tweeter you can put in the air vent next to the mid.
+1
I had fitted Focal co-axial in a car with Morels and that does a decent job.
I'd suggest you to fit co-axial with Focals to keep the matching front.
      04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
littlep
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: E91 325iAT M-sport Individual

Garage List
Thanks for quick answers.

Agree that the BSW with no tweeter is not a great option.

How did you fit the Focal coaxial speaker in the dash? As I see from the options I have at Focal.com (http://www.focal.com/en/65-pour-bien..._speakers_kits) the tweeter is "lifted" above the speaker, and I can not see how that will easily fit.

If I go for a 100krs as centre, any good suggestion on how to fit the mid and the tweeter? I will prefer not do ant major modifications to make it fit....

How is the sound quality of the OEM hifi prof or individual centre speaker? Any other plug and play speaker options with tweeters?

Do you think I will have problems with the low powered MS-8 to power the centre in this system?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The center is the most important speaker of the Logic 7 system. Therefore, you do not want to a) go cheap and b) choke it with too little power.

If you do not want to add another amp for the center, then I would recommend getting the most efficient decent coaxial you can find. Taibanl did some efficiency comparisons on coaxials, I'll have to dig it up, but from memory it was either JBL or Pioneer. So you want to be able to get as much SPL from the MS-8's built-in amp as possible. An efficient 2ohm coax should do it. In this case it is more important to get the volume level up than matching the timbre of the Focals.

If you are willing to ad another amp and give it at least the same power as the Focals are getting, I would recommend using 1/2 of another KRS set to get the best results possible.
      04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's the post I was referring to:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=17

Infinity 42.9i
      04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlep
Thanks for quick answers.

Agree that the BSW with no tweeter is not a great option.

How did you fit the Focal coaxial speaker in the dash? As I see from the options I have at Focal.com (http://www.focal.com/en/65-pour-bien..._speakers_kits) the tweeter is "lifted" above the speaker, and I can not see how that will easily fit.

If I go for a 100krs as centre, any good suggestion on how to fit the mid and the tweeter? I will prefer not do ant major modifications to make it fit....

How is the sound quality of the OEM hifi prof or individual centre speaker? Any other plug and play speaker options with tweeters?

Do you think I will have problems with the low powered MS-8 to power the centre in this system?
Fitted that in e90 as central speaker without any issues.