F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Updates Failed
Studio RSR

04-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 30d

Updates Failed

I've tried my 1st update (mutimedia/telephone) yesterday. Used teleservices and after 89% it hung for 15 min and says update failed to transfer. Anyone had gone through this before? Any ideas
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltDriveMachine View Post
I've tried my 1st update (mutimedia/telephone) yesterday. Used teleservices and after 89% it hung for 15 min and says update failed to transfer. Anyone had gone through this before? Any ideas
I had same issue....hung after 89%....did you leave the ignition on?....think I ended up leaving engine running whilst it updated....I just locked the car with engine running and went back in the house for a coffee....it had updated successfully when I returned to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
I had same issue....hung after 89%....did you leave the ignition on?....think I ended up leaving engine running whilst it updated....I just locked the car with engine running and went back in the house for a coffee....it had updated successfully when I returned to the car.
I didn't start the engine just left the ignition on. Do you reckon leaving the engine on would do the trick?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep

BMW.com/update says

You can perform this software update yourself. To do so, all you need is a standard USB memory stick with sufficient memory capacity.
Do we really need USB while updating from Teleservices as we already have internal storage with ProNav.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BMW.com/update says

You can perform this software update yourself. To do so, all you need is a standard USB memory stick with sufficient memory capacity.
Do we really need USB while updating from Teleservices as we already have internal storage with ProNav.
You don't need the USB....just do the update from the teleservices. Yeah it worked fine for me after leaving the engine running....think I left the engine running because the ignition switches off after a predetermined time and because the update hangs at 89% for a while it then crashes after the ignition switches off so best to leave the engine running...worked for me...give it a try and post back.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You don't need the USB....just do the update from the teleservices. Yeah it worked fine for me after leaving the engine running....think I left the engine running because the ignition switches off after a predetermined time and because the update hangs at 89% for a while it then crashes after the ignition switches off so best to leave the engine running...worked for me...give it a try and post back.
Cheers buddy - will give a try this weekend
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

The USB method was fairly easy to do... Literally took a couple of minutes to do the update...
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #8
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
The USB method was fairly easy to do... Literally took a couple of minutes to do the update...
Same here, I had no problems using a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and downloaded the update on my Mac. Worked immediately and quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

i went on BMW site and entered vin and it states that im up to date. The build date for my car is circa mid feb, registered and delivered 1/3/13. do you guys have older cars or is there something amiss my side of thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
i went on BMW site and entered vin and it states that im up to date. The build date for my car is circa mid feb, registered and delivered 1/3/13. do you guys have older cars or is there something amiss my side of thing?
Mine was exactly the same. If you go to the US site and enter the vin a new update is available. Download that to pen drive and install that one. Mine was updated and working fine...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Mine was exactly the same. If you go to the US site and enter the vin a new update is available. Download that to pen drive and install that one. Mine was updated and working fine...
lovely, i'll give that a bash over the weekend - thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport white, CR,8AT

I have Pro nav but so far it says teleservices not available. Should it be if I have Pro nav?

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunguitar
I have Pro nav but so far it says teleservices not available. Should it be if I have Pro nav?

Shaun
BMW Live comes as standard with the Pro Nav, so yes you should have it... What is you are doing to say teleservices unavailable.

Could be unrelated but was having issues with the weather widget yesterday. The car was saying something along the lines of data unavailable.... Could be a central BMW issue?????
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay, thanks for that. I was in the software update bit but the teleservices was faded out and not active. Will give it a go today.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunguitar
Okay, thanks for that. I was in the software update bit but the teleservices was faded out and not active. Will give it a go today.
Was the car switched on? Not just the ignition... I think you need top have the engine running too...

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I don't think the new pro nav connects to enable it to do updates like 'old' pro nav. It never has on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Shaunguitar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmmm....just tried again engine running, still saying teleservices not available. All my other connected drive serices are working fine. I'll send a query to BMW. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
jessat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320d ED Imperial Blue

I upgraded my software today.
Downloaded the bin file from here http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp
after entering my VIN, then copied it to USB. Plugged it into the socket under armrest, started the engin, then followed the prompts for software upgrade. Only took 1 minute to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessat View Post
I upgraded my software today.
Downloaded the bin file from here http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp
after entering my VIN, then copied it to USB. Plugged it into the socket under armrest, started the engin, then followed the prompts for software upgrade. Only took 1 minute to upgrade.
Tried to do that and it didn't work
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok it failed even after 5 attempts.
3 failed attempts while engine runing, as usual hung on 89% and after 15 min wait on 89% it says data transfer failed to update. 2 failed attempts while ignition on with the same issue again.

Downloaded the update onto the USB drive(which I currently use for the audio in the car) from the bmw site using my VIN. Now selected usb as the update source but it says cannot detect usb. Tried multiple times but in vain.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok it failed even after 5 attempts.
3 failed attempts while engine runing, as usual hung on 89% and after 15 min wait on 89% it says data transfer failed to update. 2 failed attempts while ignition on with the same issue again.

Downloaded the update onto the USB drive(which I currently use for the audio in the car) from the bmw site using my VIN. Now selected usb as the update source but it says cannot detect usb. Tried multiple times but in vain.
Obviously there's some kind of problem.....as I previously posted, mine hung for quite a while at 89 per cent but eventually carried on. It should have definitely worked via the USB so I would contact dealer and see if they can sort it out unless some of the good folk on here can suggest anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
UltDriveMachine
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Obviously there's some kind of problem.....as I previously posted, mine hung for quite a while at 89 per cent but eventually carried on. It should have definitely worked via the USB so I would contact dealer and see if they can sort it out unless some of the good folk on here can suggest anything else.
Finally it worked using teleservices - stuck at 89 % for atleast 10 - 15 min. Did the update at workplace parking whilst engine turned off. Took good 35 mins to update. My previous attempts where all at the garage at home. Strange
Appreciate 0