F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > auto stop start
proTUNING Freaks

04-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

auto stop start

my auto stop start seems to have given up the ghost, i drive in comfort mode and over a long-ish journey from herts to kent the stop start refused to engage..a crossed out A symbol comes up on the black panel display every time i stopped even though engine is up to full temp. I have checked that i have not turned off the auto stop/start switch next to the engine start. Any ideas?? looked at efficient dynamics settings and no joy! i don't actually like the stop start but it annoying it doesn't work! a trip to the dealers is on the cards!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

There are a lot of parameters that need to be correct for stop start to work. one being external temperature and battery voltage.
I have noticed that mine does not go into start stop mode it I have the heated seats on.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
ducefantastic
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Could also be be battery temperature, if your steering wheel is turned to far in one direction or another, if you're on a hill, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
joe_hall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xDrive M Sport

I find that when the engine has warmed up sometimes mine won't stop start unless I apply a little bit more pressure to the brake pedal (auto gearbox).

Weird, but try that, it may work.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I haven't quite figured out what the white vs Orange Stop start cancel light indicates, but I would say white is for external temperature.

Mine doesn't ASS if temps are below 0 Degrees, but found that the 320D loaner I had was more picky at ASS than the 330D, it kicked in far less often.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
white vs Orange Stop start cancel light
I've noticed that all the text shown in white during the day in the extra black panel display changes to orange during the night.

I don't think the colour indicates any difference in the function, it's just meant to be easier on the eye during the night.
      04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Isn't the white vs orange just dependant on whether the lights are on? Orange = night?

I have noticed recently with the temp only being 2-4 degrees mine hasn't been kicking in much either even after a long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

I've had a bit bother with my auto stop start, over the past couple of days.
I had disabled it when i was up to temperature, sitting at lights & it kept on stalling. Nothing to do with my clutch control. Need to keep an eye on it.
People behind me must have thought, band new car broken down.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
I've noticed that all the text shown in white during the day in the extra black panel display changes to orange during the night.

I don't think the colour indicates any difference in the function, it's just meant to be easier on the eye during the night.
D'Oh!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Is your car an automatic or manual? If manual, your not sitting on the clutch are you?

A friend of mine had similar issue. When they took their car in, was told it wouldn't activate as the clutch was depressed. Just a thought if the car is a manual box
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

There are quite a lot of situations in which the engine will not automatically shut down. These are as follows:
- Ambient temperature below approx. +3 degrees C.
- High outside temp. and operation of automatic air conditioning.
- Interior not heated or cooled to desired temp.
- Engine not yet at operating temp.
- Sharp steering angle or steering operation.
- After reversing.
- Condensation when the automatic air con. is switched on.
- Vehicle battery in a low state of charge.
- Bonnet is unlocked.
- Parking assistant is activated.
- Stop/go traffic.
- Gear selector lever in N or S/M position.
      04-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Chaps. | had no idea there were so many variables! i have a manual and have been purposely not riding the clutch to try and get the A.S.S to work. I see little point in going to the dealer then in light of the above. I have a few long runs booked up over the next few weeks which fingers crossed should trigger it..if not i'll just turn the bloody thing off and forget it.

As for the colour change is a daylight/nightime thing
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update, thanks to the rise in temp, my stop start seems to work more frequently again ie >5 degrees c.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboss View Post
Just an update, thanks to the rise in temp, my stop start seems to work more frequently again ie >5 degrees c.
You'll be wishing it was less frequent again soon...
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've just taken delivery of an 320D M Sport Auto (yesterday) and would like to disable auto stop-start. Every time I get in the car I find its enabled itself again. I've read a few old posts that say BMW was allowing dealers to recode cars so that the last setting was remembered and those posts seemed to say that BMW would be making that a standard feature. Did that ever happen or is still necessary to go and get the dealer to sort it out?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post

On this topic, the lights seem to sometimes be on (the green indicator on the display panel) but the graphics haven't gone from white to orange - are they set to different sensors the exterior and interior lights does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
I've just taken delivery of an 320D M Sport Auto (yesterday) and would like to disable auto stop-start. Every time I get in the car I find its enabled itself again. I've read a few old posts that say BMW was allowing dealers to recode cars so that the last setting was remembered and those posts seemed to say that BMW would be making that a standard feature. Did that ever happen or is still necessary to go and get the dealer to sort it out?

Thanks.
Only in the US. It's an EU law.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
On this topic, the lights seem to sometimes be on (the green indicator on the display panel) but the graphics haven't gone from white to orange - are they set to different sensors the exterior and interior lights does anyone know?
Yeah I get that too...is it not because the auto lights have have a 2 step function as it goes darker outside...1st level is sidelights and graphics stay white and then 2nd level is headlights and that's when the graphics turn orange...not sure but that seems to makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #19
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post

Thanks.
You could always re-code yourself... Have done it on my car...

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
Yeah I get that too...is it not because the auto lights have have a 2 step function as it goes darker outside...1st level is sidelights and graphics stay white and then 2nd level is headlights and that's when the graphics turn orange...not sure but that seems to makes sense.
Not sure, I think the manual suggests a one stage but maybe they're controlled separately.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
Not sure, I think the manual suggests a one stage but maybe they're controlled separately.
I think there is a separate switch point for interior vs exterior lights. It is the interior light setting that determines the ASS warning to be in orange or white.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #22
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I think there is a separate switch point for interior vs exterior lights. It is the interior light setting that determines the ASS warning to be in orange or white.
There is a small black shiny spot which could be an interior light sensor just on the right of the left dial on the climate control...?
Appreciate 0