E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Need Austin Traffic Lawyer

04-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
zachar3
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Need Austin Traffic Lawyer

I got a speeding ticket and dont qualify for texas defensive driving since I'm not a texas resident. I need a good traffic attorney in Austin who can assist me.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Ask for deferred adjudication - you will still pay a fine, but if you keep your record clean for 90 days or 6 months (whichever they might give you), they'll take the ticket off your record. That said, if you're not a Texas resident, this might not be an option, either, but it won't hurt to ask. How far over the limit were you going?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
zachar3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Ask for deferred adjudication - you will still pay a fine, but if you keep your record clean for 90 days or 6 months (whichever they might give you), they'll take the ticket off your record. That said, if you're not a Texas resident, this might not be an option, either, but it won't hurt to ask. How far over the limit were you going?
80 in a 65... according to the officer. I dont want to defer adjudication. I used to work in the Miami traffic court and my dad is also a lawyer. I dont feel comfortable handling this myself though. No lawyer referral? haha
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Why exactly do you want a lawyer? What do you hope to achieve? If you're not a Texas resident I'm pretty sure a lawyer can't magically make you eligible for defensive driving. And if you're hoping to weasel out of the ticket entirely when you were in fact speeding, I don't really see the basis for that goal. You broke the law, you got caught. So pay the fine and get on with life. I can't stand these "I got an entirely justified ticket and I want to cry about it to the Internet and/or find a way not to suffer the consequences" threads.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

^^

agreed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
zachar3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Why exactly do you want a lawyer? What do you hope to achieve? If you're not a Texas resident I'm pretty sure a lawyer can't magically make you eligible for defensive driving. And if you're hoping to weasel out of the ticket entirely when you were in fact speeding, I don't really see the basis for that goal. You broke the law, you got caught. So pay the fine and get on with life. I can't stand these "I got an entirely justified ticket and I want to cry about it to the Internet and/or find a way not to suffer the consequences" threads.
I want a lawyer because thats what my father told me to do. Im confident he knows the legal system better than you. But hey, jackass, lets get into questions. What do YOU hope to achieve by trying to insult me. So..detective, do you know that I legitimately sped?
I'm seeking advice. I didn't know that a forum was a bad place to turn to for help. I can't stand these "everyone who gets caught in a predicament besides what I'm interested in is a total moron" threads. Get over yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
I want a lawyer because thats what my father told me to do. Im confident he knows the legal system better than you. But hey, jackass, lets get into questions. What do YOU hope to achieve by trying to insult me. So..detective, do you know that I legitimately sped?
I'm seeking advice. I didn't know that a forum was a bad place to turn to for help. I can't stand these "everyone who gets caught in a predicament besides what I'm interested in is a total moron" threads. Get over yourself.
No doubt he knows the legal system better than I -- but then I never claimed to know anything about the legal system. And of course I don't KNOW you were speeding, which is why I started that sentence with "If". But let's be honest, seeing as there's no penalty for admitting innocence, if you weren't speeding you almost certainly would have mentioned that in your original post or at least one of the 2 subsequent posts. But given that you a) didn't claim you weren't speeding, b) added the whole "....according to the officer" comment in your first reply, and c) seem focused on the workings of the legal system rather than claiming that the ticket is undeserved, all signs point to you most likely looking for a lawyer to help you get out of a speeding ticket you completely deserve by knowing how to work the system to take advantage of some technicality like the accuracy of the radar/laser gun model the cop used, the accuracy of the measurement given the cop's angle/distance, etc.

I don't think people who post topics that don't interest me are morons, just those who whine about life being unfair even when it's being completely fair, just that "fair" happens not to be in their favor. And forums are a great place to turn to for help, but help dodging entirely deserved consequences, maybe not so much. Again, not saying your consequences are entirely deserved, but it definitely sounds that way so far.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-01-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
80 in a 65... according to the officer. I dont want to defer adjudication. I used to work in the Miami traffic court and my dad is also a lawyer. I dont feel comfortable handling this myself though. No lawyer referral? haha
No, no lawyer referral. What would you hope to achieve, anyway? Trying to beat the ticket? Not gonna happen unless you can somehow prove you weren't breaking the law. After 10 years in law enforcement, I can tell you that your chances are slim and none - unless the officer doesn't show for the court date, you will need to present a defense, and the court/judge really doesn't like to waste a lot of time on these simple infractions. If Florida doesn't have reciprocity with Texas for traffic citations, then pay up and move on. Are you planning to come back to Austin to fight the ticket? Because lawyer or not, if you don't show up, you have little or no chance of accomplishing anything. Paying the ticket is probably cheaper than paying the lawyer, anyway.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0