E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Diagnostic fault code P29E0

03-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
RichyB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i SE coupe 57

Diagnostic fault code P29E0

Hello I have this code on my 335i coupe 57 plate P29E0 "refer to vehicle service manual" any ideas been searching net for days....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyB View Post
Hello I have this code on my 335i coupe 57 plate P29E0 "refer to vehicle service manual" any ideas been searching net for days....

Thanks
Odd, I get a number of hits...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bmw+29e0+335i

29E0 : fuel mixture control

The other forum has a good list of errors, but it won't let me post the link here. Search for "Tool32 DME fault codes list MSD80". First one on the list.

My guess would be that your O2 sensor on bank 1 may be going bad. The car has two sensors that are attached to the downpipes.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...probe_fixings/
Parts #4 & 5 in the above link. #4 is bank 1.

What conditions does it happen under? Has it only happened once and you just read the code, or is it repeatable under WOT? Do you see any reduced power warnings, shuddering, poor running etc.
It could also be bad fuel. Have you been through a tank or two?
Are you tuned? If so try to go back to stock?
      04-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
RichyB
Private
Rep

Thanks for that it does not sound to bad or expensive! the reason I got the codes read was when its around 0 degrees or colder outside I start the car all fine, no slow turnover its when the revs drop and the other exhaust kicks in the reduced power light pops up I turn it off start again sometimes it goes out other time comes on again so start again it eventually does go out and the car is fine no problems accelerating etc. I had some other codes they were misfires cylinder 1 2 3 and multiple misfires. I drove the car first time for 5 days on Friday it was 3.5 degrees no problem at all, the car is stock I dont think the fuel is issue it just does not like the cold lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyB View Post
Thanks for that it does not sound to bad or expensive! the reason I got the codes read was when its around 0 degrees or colder outside I start the car all fine, no slow turnover its when the revs drop and the other exhaust kicks in the reduced power light pops up I turn it off start again sometimes it goes out other time comes on again so start again it eventually does go out and the car is fine no problems accelerating etc. I had some other codes they were misfires cylinder 1 2 3 and multiple misfires. I drove the car first time for 5 days on Friday it was 3.5 degrees no problem at all, the car is stock I dont think the fuel is issue it just does not like the cold lol
Well, multiple misfires is never a good sign and could be an indication of a failing HPFP. You don't necessarily need to experience long cranks for this to be a problem. You really need a better code reader, so the sub-information from the 29E0 error can tell you if it's reading rich or lean. INPA/AutoLogic/ISTA can do this.

Based on the above it could be a number of things:
- O2 sensors
- Leaking injectors
- Exhaust leak
- HPFP failing

Have a look at page 4 in the Engine Diagnostic Fault Tree doc. First link below:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=B125506N54_Engi...e_03_03_10.pdf

Do you know if your car have had the HPFP or injectors replaced?
      04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
RichyB
Private
Rep

My friend is getting a better code reader just waiting for it to be delivered next week or so the car runs out of warranty 8th of next month so better get on it. I have looked through paperwork and I dont think the HPFP or injectors have been replaced. I did research this am I right in thinking I am covered under warranty as its less than 120k miles and less than 10 years?????? The car has not been driven for a week I am going out today Ill let you know how it goes many thanks again for all your help and advice
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
RichyB
Private
Rep

Quick update!! Just been out to car not been driven for a week started it no probs what so ever no reduced power light nothing turned over lovely sounds amazing as it should really stumped now!!!! I did notice left exhaust there are a few droplets of water dripping from it looks like a little nipple there is only 1 on the left side that is probably normal i take it???
Appreciate 0