E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > test drove 335 sedan: comments & questions

09-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
rayainsw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335iS

test drove 335 sedan: comments & questions

I test drove a new 2007 335 Sedan this week. Comments below.

Questions first:

Q1 - Comfort Access = $500 to NOT have to insert the key?
And that's all?

Q2 - Run flats.
The example I drove happened to have an aftermarket 19” custom wheel \ tire “package” installed. This was the only Sport, Premium, Step available at that particular moment. Since I have not driven a 335 with the Sport package and either the ‘standard’ 17” wheel \ tire package, nor the optional 18s, I will limit my comments regarding ride quality.

So, my question is: How do the ‘standard’ 17” and 18” runflat tires & wheels handle harsh conditions – for example, poorly patched or broken pavement, abrupt transitions such as concrete road seams, etc?

[ Q2.1 - And who handles a tire issue – a tire dealer or a BMW dealer? ]

Q3 – RPM at cruise.
I have a somewhat irrational ( but very strongly held ) preference for the feeling of effortlessness I sense when I can cruise at high ( but at least semi-legal ) velocity at very low RPM.
I had no opportunity during this brief test drive to spend any time at my typical open road cruising speeds – 70 to 80 MPH.
My calculations indicate that with the Step, 70 MPH would require approx. 2300+ RPM and 80 would be almost 2700 RPM.
[ My Corvette shows approx. 1550 RPM at 70. ]

Question: Is this what you 335 Step. owners are seeing for RPM at cruise?

Thanks in advance!!

Brief background \ Context, before my comments:
My current Daily Driver is a 2007 Corvette w/six speed automatic & paddles on the steering wheel – very similar ( visually ) to the BMW’s paddle shifters.

My local dealer has been hounding me to drive a new 335 sedan – and had one equipped roughly as I would buy one, meaning Step, Sport, Premium, and a couple of other items. So, I drove it.

I was impressed. As has been well documented, the 300\300 HP\TQ rating is clearly ( um ) not accurate. Even with my sales dweeb as ballast ( 180#s or so, I’d guess ) to deal with, the 335’s acceleration impressed me. Driving as I typically would, with the sunroof in the vent position, I found the minimal engine noise & subtle but melodic exhaust sound quite enjoyable.

Coming from my Corvette, rated at 400\400 for HP\TQ and with a curb weight around 3300#s, and the 335 weighing closer to 3600 & saddled with a 5% handicap here ( the additional weight of my ‘Client Advisor’ in the right seat ) I was all the more impressed with the throttle response & quickness. This engine is a masterpiece. I had high expectations for this aspect of the car’s performance - and they were met.

The Steptronic \ automatic was the other key aspect I was interested in evaluating in my test drive. The primary irritations I have with my Corvette ( and I am very happy with it, overall ) center on the behavior of the automatic transmission. Primarily an inconsistent pause \ lag between request for an upshift or downshift via the paddles and the beginning of the actual shift execution. The shifts themselves are reasonably quick. Secondarily, there is no throttle blip or ‘rev match’ on downshifts. ( Or at least a poor execution of this very good idea. And yes, I did know that before buying the Corvette. Sigh. )

In my relatively brief test drive of a 335, the Step has an almost immediate & seemingly quite consistent response to both up & downshifts via the paddles. And there is a good execution of the ‘rev match’ on downshifts. Each of the shifts was quick - but smooth. Lived up to me ( high ) expectations.

The BMW paddle shift operation for the Steptronic happens to be the reverse of what makes sense to me & what I have now driven for something like 45,000 miles, in various sports cars & sedans. Old dog here – who would have to un-learn & re-learn. Oh, well . . .

I was also particularly impressed with the low RPM torque that the 335’s TT motor exhibits. I enjoy an exhilarating run to the red line ( when road conditions & traffic safely allow ) but in more typical driving, I also find low RPM torque & flexibility very useful & attractive as well. I did not note any turbo lag in my driving. The previous couple of 330’s I have driven were somewhat lacking in this area. The 335 has addressed this very well indeed.

I never even attempt to approach any car’s handling \ cornering limits on public roads, and certainly did not stress this 335, but the handling certainly felt secure – the steering accurate & pleasantly weighted. The ride was generally very good ( see above re: wheels & tires ) with mostly well damped vertical motions & little side-to-side movement, though I was not on truly challenging surfaces for most of the drive.

I had planned to drive a new Caddy CTS after finishing at the BMW dealer. But after driving the 335, I just did not see the point. It seemed clear that the 304 HP V6 in the Caddy ( TQ = 270-something ) pushing over 3800#s would never be able to impress me, at least when directly & immediately compared to the BMW. 14.6 at 97 ( manual trans. 2008 CTS, tested by C+D ) is not likely to feel nearly as quick as a ( mid-13 second @ 100+ ) 335.

Just did not seem fair to the Caddy.

Just my 0.02 gallons worth . . .
- Ray
Comprehensively impressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

The 335 is actually under 3,400 regardless of some of the published weight you might have seen elsewhere. Comfort Access also allows you to open doors, etc. with having the key fob in your pocket....comes in very handy if you have groceries or whatever in your hands and maybe it starts to rain...very worth while option IMO...I love it. I have the 18" sport package rims with run flats and they have been a pleasan surprise. Handle quite well when it's dry...fairly quiet with no tramline tendencies and not quite on par with say a Micheline PS2 in the wet but I don't push the car when it's wet. Can't help with the highway cruise RPM on a step as mine is a 6MT. It's a great commmuter car...good luck with the decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

1. Right. Seems like there are better things to spend .5k on, but some folks love it.

2. 18" wheels come with the Sports [ZSP] package, and they are plenty sufficient. 19" wheels look nice, but offer no performance advantages. Swapping to extreme performance non-run flats, however, will make a substantial improvement in ride and handling. Your dealer can handle the tire issues, but replacement is expensive. Some folks get tire insurance.

3. The 335 is a fairly relaxed highway cruiser, whether at USA [80mph] or autobahn [150 mph] speeds. 6th gear is pretty tall.

All of this info and a ton more further details are available on this list. There are literally hundreds of threads and responses on these topics.

Bottom line in moving from a 'vette to a 335 is an improvement in everyday drivability and refinement, at some loss of visceral thrills. It's a fun move, they are both great cars in different ways. There are some excellent mods available for the 335, like PROcede, LSD, coilovers, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

1. CA means you never have to pull anything out of your pocket. (Combined with Bluetooth for your phone.) Very slick and convenient. I'm glad a friend convinced me to get it.

2. I agree with stressdoc. The RFTs can be quite harsh on big potholes and bumps, but they perform very well on good roads. Also you may want higher-profile tires if you will be driving on a lot of poor roads.

3. I believe it's around 2500/2700 as you said. It's very very quiet at cruise.

It's a fantastic mix of luxury cruiser and street bruiser.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
dpeterson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Montego Blue

comfort access is nice, in and out of the car is quick, grab the handle it unlocks, can roll up windows holding the handle... no keys smacking against the tree.. well worth it.

99% of the time i'm right at 80 on the freeway, not sure of the exact rpm number but it's really low, can barely hear the motor, but it still pulls in 6th. 80 almost seems like you arent even moving at times..

dave
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

What are you going to do with your vette? Make it your week-end car?
Good luck
      09-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I miss mine. These rental cars at National suck!

1. I'll add a vote for comfort access. Unless you are paying cash for the car, the $500 is a small price each month for the benefit. If you have the cash, what's another $500? I wish I had it in mine. I bought mine off the lot, so I kinda had to take what they had.

2. RFT's aren't my favorite. I'll be changing them out after winter. They're a little harsh on the small stuff, and I think their at-the-limit handling leaves a bit to be desired. Obviously they're not so bad that I'm running out right now to change them. I got my 335 in early August.

That's all I can really add. I like the vette for it's power, but I love everything about the 335.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Count me in among the Comfort Access fans. Here's a full list of the minutia on it:

- driver and front passenger doors unlock on hand touch in addition to "regular" fob push method

- no need to insert fob into dash in order to start car or accessories

- fob has replaceable rather than rechargeable battery (probably because the "regular" system has the driver inserting the fob in it's recharging/starting slot. Battery is typically good for a couple years

- Luggage compartment opens at hand touch (regardless of car locked/unlocked status)

- Can close all windows and the sunroof from outside the car by holding your finger on the door handle "lock" location

All totally unnecessary luxuries; I love every one of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Whatever you do, make sure to get the sports package. It's the absolute best value add-on you can get.

Even if you decide to switch over to high performance tires (which I recommend) you still have the fantastic sports seats and the added oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Now go test drive a 335 w/ a Procede and you will be REALLY impressed, different animal. Similar to your 330 vs 335 comment.
      09-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
jjlawyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '07 6mt

Every time that I walk up to the car with my hands full and I have to pull my keys out and my money pulls out with my keys I curse myself for not getting comfort access. I miss that option.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #12
retlod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Another fan of CA here. You can put the fob anywhere...pants pocket, shirt pocket, briefcase, backpack. Never having to take it out makes for relatively hands-free operation of the locks, less stuff in your pockets if you put it in your bag/briefcase, a trunk that's always unlocked for you, and no unwanted stuff flying out of your pockets with your remote. There's also the " factor" associated with not having a key for your car, too.
35% Tint | Golf Tee
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- driver and front passenger doors unlock on hand touch in addition to "regular" fob push method
That's set with the on-board computer, you can have it just unlock the drivers door if you like. I really like that you can set your own preferences with the new on board computer...my M3 has to be taken to the daily to change those sort of preferences...day time running lights also.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

I wish I got the comfort Access.

But other than that - GET the Sports package. The seats are worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Corvette has a very tall/long gear.. <one reason it can hit 200 mph>. thus the reason why on your vet your RPM is so low. this is also why the vettes get such good milage even with this high hp/tq.. but this also means less power/tq during cruising.. but then again if you are crusing you don't really need the power.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
That's set with the on-board computer, you can have it just unlock the drivers door if you like. I really like that you can set your own preferences with the new on board computer...my M3 has to be taken to the daily to change those sort of preferences...day time running lights also.
I worded my sentence poorly. I meant that you can unlock the car (regardless of which type of unlock) by touching either the driver or front passenger door handle. So, this is better than if CA worked only from the driver's door handle. But, personally, I would prefer if it also worked from the rear passenger doors.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
Count me in among the Comfort Access fans. Here's a full list of the minutia on it:

- no need to insert fob into dash in order to start car or accessories

- fob has replaceable rather than rechargeable battery (probably because the "regular" system has the driver inserting the fob in it's recharging/starting slot. Battery is typically good for a couple years

- Luggage compartment opens at hand touch (regardless of car locked/unlocked status)

- Can close all windows and the sunroof from outside the car by holding your finger on the door handle "lock" location

All totally unnecessary luxuries; I love every one of them.
I disagree... numerous reports have indicated that CA is not as impressive as it sounds.

There are 2 immediate flaws with its design.

1.) The Frequency that they work at interferes with the microwave frequency of cell phones. It is recommended that the user should not have the CA card (or device) in close proximity with his/her cell phone. This tends to 'confuse' the device and allegedly locks the car. The car then stays locked.

2.) Most of the CA systems use a security algorithm from the 80s (I forget what it is called). While it has proven to be robust and quite difficult to crack remotely, it seems that if the perpetraitor were to lock onto the frequency of the CA unit (in a close proximity of the vehicle), it would reduce the # of permutations that he or she would have to deal with, thus making it easier to decode the signal.

just my 2 cents worth
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
rcarlson
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Coupe

Another nice feature of CA is that it won't let you lock your key fob in the cabin or trunk. I tested this last night just for grins. I unlocked the car, tossed the fob onto the driver's seat, closed the door, and tried to look it with my finger. It wouldn't lock. I also opened the trunk and tossed the fob into the trunk and closed the lid. It flashed the lights a few times and unlocked the trunk. Pretty nice feature ... I wish I'd had that about 6 years ago when I was on a road trip with friends and one of my friends managed to lock my keys in my trunk (Honda Accord) while we were at a rest stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
1.) The Frequency that they work at interferes with the microwave frequency of cell phones. It is recommended that the user should not have the CA card (or device) in close proximity with his/her cell phone. This tends to 'confuse' the device and allegedly locks the car. The car then stays locked.
For what it's worth, I use my phone in my car several times a day, never had this problem.

2007 328xi E92 · Titanium Silver · Gray Dakota · Gray Poplar · Steptronic · Comfort Access · Bluetooth · Photos
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not heard of this...I keep my fob and my cell in my right front pocket always and have never experienced an issu.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

One of the reasons he's asking about CA and the cost is that the same thing is standard on the C6 Vette. You have a key fob that basically never leaves your pocket unless you pop the hatch to put stuff in the back. Push button start and stop and there's a place in the glovebox to place the keyfob if the car can't sense it for some reason.

Once the car senses the key fob you just walk up to the door and open it and it automatically locks about 8 seconds after you shut the door.

His question seems to be more centered on "It's free on my current car, so what else am I getting for my $500??"....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #21
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Comfort access is one of two options that I didn't order but wish that I had (the other being the Cold Weather Package for the heated seats and folding rear seat).
      09-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #22
mullrat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

1. CA is a great option. It definitely is a luxury option. The reality is that it just takes an extra step to unlock the car without it. Not that necessary but cool. I didnt get it primarily because its just another electrical device that might break in the car. That's important considering the option lets you in and out of the vehicle. Most people who have it love it. I have encountered no one who hates it.

2. RFT - as probably mentioned in the forums, BMW has geared the suspension to cater to run flats. They are mildly harsh but like people have been saying they handle great. Its my understanding that bmw did this by maintaining sport level shocks and softening the springs. Therefore aftermarket tires are something you will probably have to research thoroughly before buying. There is no spare tire obvously. additionally i think you will regret not getting the sport package. especially coming from a vette.

3. the 3-series IMO is a GT(grand touring)car, or at least it has transformed into one. Therefore high speed highway cruising is its forte. Like a previous poster has mentioned these cars are driven at triple digit speeds routinely in germany. My 335 is not happy unless it's going at least 80, at least that's what I believe.

Additionally there are a lot of 3 series enthusiasts. It has a rich heritage maybe not as storied as the corvette's but very close.

Hope you keep the vette though. It's a monster of a ride.