E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 328i coupe 6 M/T, Throttle body & Manifold inlet sizes

03-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
ThreeLO
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-M/T

E92 328i coupe 6 M/T, Throttle body & Manifold inlet sizes

Just wanted to share some measurements i took of the stock intake manifold inlet and the stock throttle body. I also wanted to share an observation i had of the bolts that secure the starter in place. Has anyone else noticed that the bolts that secure the starter in place are extremely light and almost weightless?? I do not know what material they are made from but i would guess titanium? Can someone give some more info on this? I would appreciate it. Also where i could possibly find some more bolts like these. Thanks!!

Pulled the starter to replace it.

Im a sucker for measurements and logging things so i weighed the bolts in "grams".

Noted the markings on the heads of the bolts.

Measured the T/B inlet hole on the intake manifold in "MM's".

Then inches for the Americans lol.

Just "MM's" for the T/B inlet & outlet diameters.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
cuco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 85 BMW R80

Nice post. Thanks for the info. Were the manifold inlets the same size as the block inlets?
      12-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
ThreeLO
Rep
Drives: 128i 6-M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco View Post
Nice post. Thanks for the info. Were the manifold inlets the same size as the block inlets?
i did not measure that. I will take a guess and say yes also since there is noway to modify the plastic manifold there would be nothing i could do if the measurements dont line up besides maybe finding another manifold or something custom.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

No wonder those things are single use.

When I bought my 330, it was 3 years old and just over 50,000 miles, and the starter went within a month. I changed a starter on a chevy Corsica winter car when I was in college (lol) but was completely intimidated by BMWs at the time and worked crazy ass hours so I paid the dealer almost $1000 to replace the damned thing. Made me second guess my purchase, but afterwards I saw what the job entailed so I felt a little less guilty about farming out the job. And the car has been rock solid in the 4 years and 85,000 miles since (now just about 135k miles).

Great post. look fwd to future contributions!