F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pro Media Sat Nav
ARMA SPEED

03-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

Pro Media Sat Nav

A simple question. Has the sat nav been fixed by one of these software updates? Or is it still unable to find some postcodes, like your home address.
      03-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Maps are old, mine has Jan 13 update and still hasn't got a road change that happened 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
Heavy messing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

Is that done by the dealer or just magic'ed out of thin air?
I am picking up my 320d sport on Sat so should I ask the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
New car should have most current map. Subsequent map updates come at a cost - unless you can work something out with your dealer

You can check the version - pull up the map view in 'Navigation' then push the controller to the right (to see the split screen settings), scroll to the bottom of the list and choose 'Navigation system version'. My car was built May 2012 and the version says:

ECE
BMW Group
Road Map Europe PREMIUM 2012

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 03-22-2013 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Heavy messing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320i M Sport

Ok Ta, just emailed dealer to check on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat
A simple question. Has the sat nav been fixed by one of these software updates? Or is it still unable to find some postcodes, like your home address.
Mines a feb build and it won't pick up my parent's postcode. Streets been there decades!!!
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
chris_gla
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F13 640D

I've got an April 2012 car and the "maintained" £2,000 professional infotainment system is the most disappointing part of the car.

I live adjacent to a motorway junction that was changed over a year before the car was built- the maps are still wrong so every single route I try is calculated wrongly

I have Navteq maps on my phone with the Garmin Navigon app- they show all the changes so it must take more time for BMW to process changes.

I called BMW Online who said that I need to speak to the dealer about map updates- and the only way I'd know if the map update worked would be to get a courtesy car and see if that was correct!

The whole thing ridicules BMW online- what is the point of giving three years of a service that will assist finding places and sending you the wrong way to them? Seems like BMW have their priorities wrong...

Map updates are an essential part of the online service and probably the only thing I've seen so far that would encourage me to pay for the service after the three years is up. The same Navteq updates only cost about £20 or £30 a year for the Garmin- come on BMW...

I'm now back at the stage of looking for where I can mount my phone- now that's very sad. "Professional"?...

Last edited by chris_gla; 03-30-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I have the New Pro Nav. When will it be updated? Or will it ever be? I've checked for updates on the car, but none so far.
      03-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
chris_gla
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

No updates that I'm aware of- I asked the dealer and they said lots of money.

From looking around I think it's £180 and several hours to feed it the 3 DVD's- the dealers charge 3 - 4 hours for this but I think you can do it yourself. I'm not sure if mine would need DVD's to update or the newer USB method (it's think it's a pre "nav high" Pro system)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Hey?! We have to pay? The guy told me it's part of the BMW online/assist package. They update it every time you take it in for a service. Only when you stop paying for it will they stop updating the maps for you?
      03-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Unhappy

Can someone give me a Postcode the Pro Nav cannot find. I'll go to the dealer and demand an update if this is in the offing or get my money back.
      03-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
chris_gla
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Hey?! We have to pay? The guy told me it's part of the BMW online/assist package. They update it every time you take it in for a service. Only when you stop paying for it will they stop updating the maps for you?
As far as I know the Pro only gives you three years BMW online with the Business being 6 months. This doesn't include map updates that I'm aware of- I'd really love to be corrected!
I did ask the deal about map update before I even got the car and was told rough cost then- as I've also bought a service plan I would have thought they'd have told me if they were included!

If the maps were included I'd have presumed they'd do that as part of the Approved BMW PDI? The car is sitting with only 3,000 miles on the clock with 13,000 until the first service (probably late 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Can someone give me a Postcode the Pro Nav cannot find. I'll go to the dealer and demand an update if this is in the offing or get my money back.
My issue is not that it won't find postcodes- just every route is incorrect because the maps were over a year out of date when the car was built.
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the fact that when I leave the house the first directions I get are always wrong because of the map errata!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Slightly off topic.

I don't put any addresses in my car apart from my home one. The rest are bluetoothed from my iphone5. Annoyingly everytime I use the address from the phone, it auto fills the address lines, after a few seconds thinking about it always changes the country to Netherlands..
      03-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

after not getting the nav to accept a postcode I phoned the bmw assist man to have a rant, he said that the dealer should update it foc but didn't think there was an update available
anyway he suggested using the web site to upload to car, tried it and it works, why cant they sort the car bit out, useless for a 45k machine

https://www.bmw-routes.com/de/en/plan-routes/index.jsp
      03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep

What I find worrying is not everyone has the same problems even though we have the, well, supposedly the same pro nav unit.

I've not had problems putting in postcodes, no problems with nav thinking the car drives on the right hand side of the road. Only the problem I mentioned above.

Was impressed on a Birmingham to North London trip it re-routed me to take the m40,m25 due to traffic. Only took 2 hours and wasnt stuck in any traffic.

Suppose everyone bombs it on the M40 though. You can be doing 85 and you still have cars flying past you.
      03-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
chris_gla
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I've not had problems with the postcode lookup- but I did do updates through iDrive as soon as I got the car. One was for Bluetooth, one was for the system itself which presumably is the 7 digit update. I think they took about 20 - 30 minutes using the online method.

If only the maps would do the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

It's a known fault / problem. It has been highlighted on here a lot, and when i mentioned it to the tech at the garage he knew all about it.. so dont let them fob you off with having to pay money to update for their mistake! IMO it should be classed as a recall on the car and updated FOC
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
chris_gla
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Slightly off topic.

I don't put any addresses in my car apart from my home one. The rest are bluetoothed from my iphone5. Annoyingly everytime I use the address from the phone, it auto fills the address lines, after a few seconds thinking about it always changes the country to Netherlands..
I tried my work address from the web- first it came back with a "not available right now" error a few times, then it put "AB24 6FG" in Germany!

Unfortunately I can't use the Google/ app interface as I've got a Windows Phone- what bright spark came up with the idea of using apps that are limited to specific phones instead of html based apps that would have worked from every Smartphone and pretty much every other device.

But I s'pose it is *far* more important to get Facebook and Twitter from the dash than having Nav that works properly or "useful" apps that work for everyone instead of the ones the developers like...

Cynical hat off, just as well I like the rest of the car..

Seriously hope there's not too many directions on the wrong side of the road tho!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
It's a known fault / problem. It has been highlighted on here a lot, and when i mentioned it to the tech at the garage he knew all about it.. so dont let them fob you off with having to pay money to update for their mistake! IMO it should be classed as a recall on the car and updated FOC
Is there an update for it? I'm still waiting on my car - will it have this broken postcode search? Is it newer postcodes it can't find or is it a bug breaking post code searches in general. Can someone try G117DH and KT206LF for example. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M Sport 420d

One thing I'm so pleased I never added and will I guess never add to any car. I have a life time sat nav on my HTC which as £25.00 and it updates evrytime google maps does. My partner who go a free bulit in sat nav has the same problem u guys have a junction near me was finished 2 years ago with in 3 months it was on my NAV and her car still does not have it new last september.. Go figure
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Is there an update for it? I'm still waiting on my car - will it have this broken postcode search? Is it newer postcodes it can't find or is it a bug breaking post code searches in general. Can someone try G117DH and KT206LF for example. Thanks.
Im not 100% sure, but i did drop it into the conversation with the tech when i was at garage, im sure he said something about an update.
I dont have the car any longer so cant help out. I take it that its the M74 extension that its missing.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

If its just slightly out of date maps then I can live with that - been missing m74 bypass on copilot live too. Some suppliers just haven't updated so maybe BMW just won't have access to the data. The post codes above have been around for over 10 years so hopefully will work.
Appreciate 0